Is there a mathematical explanation for the sci-fi concept of hyperspace?

In summary, Georgi Susskind believes that the hyperspace concept in old science fiction is based on a real physical concept called the brane-bulk theory. He thinks that this theory is a good example of brane physics, which is a branch of physics that deals with the boundary of spacetime. He also believes that this theory is very similar to the old hyperspace concept, and that it could be possible to find evidence for this concept if we ever find a way to travel faster than light.
kernelpenguin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperspace

Are there any mathematical explanations to this sci-fi concept of hyperspace? Can there be? What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought hyperspace was just a space with more than 3 dimensions. As in a hypercube, etc.

two theories not Presented there are the Farscape theory: You can't travel faster than light, so you move the Universe faster thatn light instead

and one I can't remember who to attribute it to. Basicly it's like drawing two dots on a peiceof paper, andthe traveling is done by folding the Paper in such a way that the two dots are conected. IMHO opinion this is the mostlikely to be discovered if we ever find one out.

kernelpenguin said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperspace

Are there any mathematical explanations to this sci-fi concept of hyperspace? Can there be? What do you think?

I thought I would put this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=35175 here for you as well. If certain dynamics are going on with cosmological events geometrically, then why could we have not benefited?

Richard Harris said:
and one I can't remember who to attribute it to. Basicly it's like drawing two dots on a peiceof paper, andthe traveling is done by folding the Paper in such a way that the two dots are conected. IMHO opinion this is the mostlikely to be discovered if we ever find one out.

Isn't that like an einstein-rosen bridge---a wormhole??

One theory that seems like the old hyperspace idea is the brane-bulk idea. This is good brane physics; our spacetime is a brane which is one dimension less than the bulk space it is the boundary of. Think of a face of a cube versus the volume of the cube. By the holographic conjecture of string physics, the physics on the boundary corresponds exactly, in a certain sense, to the physics on the bulk.

selfAdjoint said:
One theory that seems like the old hyperspace idea is the brane-bulk idea. This is good brane physics; our spacetime is a brane which is one dimension less than the bulk space it is the boundary of. Think of a face of a cube versus the volume of the cube. By the holographic conjecture of string physics, the physics on the boundary corresponds exactly, in a certain sense, to the physics on the bulk.

Have you just realized this? :smile:

Not to be inconsiderate, but excited that you would have found this relevance in the brane bulk scenario. To me this is the graduation in thinking and visualization that has been so hard for most of us to understand.

In our previous talks we delved into this by speaking on sachherri and others along the geometrical line of developement. Such development in the world of Guass carring on here is really quite a feat of proportion recognizing Reinmann along the way. The brane bulk scenario is along ths line for me.

For you being a topological orientated, such landscape thinking that Susskind likes to talk about, is pretty much the revelation that one has take. Put on new sun glasses, and that when we do, we no longer see the discrete world, but one of energy.

I am glad that you are seeing this way. Maybe I was a bit slow in not recognizing this before. If this is "new," some of our previous talks on the string development and radius of a circle will seem a liitle strange as it was not supported but delves along the recognitions of what you have voiced in your post.

If the radius of the circle changes, then so does the strings length? Could we have not made such a comparison?:smile:

http://physicsweb.org/objects/world/13/11/9/pw1311091.gif

as the radius grows so does the string and the string as a cylinder?

http://online.itp.ucsb.edu/online/susy_c99/dvali/oh/02.gif

Or that one string in a expansive mode of this universe is part of the expansion process we see with the string representing the early formation of that cylinder(string on the brane)? Maybe this has to be played with a bit here? :smile:

Help Georgi!

Last edited:
Well I've known the brane-bulk idea since it came out. I don't really understand all the ins and outs of the Maldecena conjecture, holomorphism, AdS/CFT and all that, but I know it at the pop-sci level. I don't endorse something just because I mention it. It's a branch of physics that has been very big for the last few years and has a close resemblence to the hyperspace bafflegab in old science fiction (the older I get the more respectable all those old sci-fi ideas become!).

I don't think you can get it out of the historical development of non-euclidean geometry. I suppose it was the Anti deSitter component that raised that interest? De Sitter spacetime has a constant positive curvature, and anti de Sitter spacetime has a constant negative curvature. In other words, it's hyperbolic and features (pseudo-) Lobatchevskian non-euclidean geometry, which does go back to Sacchieri.

Have I ever mentioned Roger Boscovitch to you?

selfAdjoint said:
Have I ever mentioned Roger Boscovitch to you?

No you haven't. Some thoughts here?

Think of a face of a cube versus the volume of the cube. By the holographic conjecture of string physics, the physics on the boundary corresponds exactly, in a certain sense, to the physics on the bulk.

To move to defining topological feature of those genus figures we had to take a giant leap here. The cube moved to something else, spherical.

Along the same line of speaking geometrically we had indeed this vison of things moveng dynamcially, although indeed at the below Planck length we have run into the non comminitive issues of uncertainty.

But thnking as deep as we have in regards tothese theoretcial structure swe are building, the brane world considerations ask us to think from supersymmetrical levels and the expansive mode of that point on the brane is circles, torodial? Pierre was quite speicifc about this? :smile:

How could we have graduate tthe bulk without it. Boson production, arises out of the geoemtrical consideration of GR? :smile: To join the two principals of GR and QM was a extraordinary feat.

But on a softer note, think of those Greeks leaving the shore and moving past the horizon. Pretty scary stuff for those restricted to a way of thinking?

Last edited:

1. What is hyperspace in science fiction?

Hyperspace is a concept in science fiction that refers to a theoretical space outside of our own known universe. It is often described as a shortcut or alternate route through space that allows for faster-than-light travel.

2. Is hyperspace possible in real life?

Currently, the concept of hyperspace is purely speculative and has not been proven to exist in real life. However, some theories in physics, such as string theory, suggest the possibility of extra dimensions that could potentially allow for hyperspace travel.

3. How does hyperspace work?

The mechanics of hyperspace vary in different science fiction universes. In some, it is achieved through advanced technology or special spacecrafts, while in others it is accessed through natural phenomena. In general, it involves bending or warping the fabric of space to travel faster than the speed of light.

4. Can humans survive in hyperspace?

Again, this depends on the specific science fiction universe. In some, humans are able to survive in hyperspace with the help of advanced technology or protective gear. In others, it is portrayed as a dangerous and inhospitable environment for humans.

5. Are there any limitations to hyperspace travel?

In science fiction, there are often limitations to hyperspace travel such as the need for specific coordinates or calculations, the risk of getting lost in hyperspace, or encountering other dangers. However, since hyperspace is a fictional concept, these limitations are not based on real scientific principles.