Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sci Fi help..

1. Feb 10, 2016 #1
    Hi,
    I will not claim extensive knowledge of physics which is exactly why i need honest help from you all.. Writing a story based on the idea that with every single decision being made that a new time line is created.. I want it to be logical and possible even if its only theoretically possible.. like in schrodingers cat experiment cat being alive and dead are in two different branches of universe.... anyone mind helping???

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2016 #2
    may be i should make it more clear.. imagine that someone forgot to apply parking brakes as incident 1 and he remembers to apply parking brakes as incident 2... the effect of the incident 1 is that a child got hit by the car on a slope and effect of incident 2 that the child had no accident.. so there will exist two different realities based on both the incidents where in one the child is okay and in the next one child is hurt... my story revolves around a person who gets glimpses of the adjacent parallel universe.. He gets only images of the other reality at a particular spot which i thought of as a tear in the time space fabric but when i went through the forum the whole concept of tear in the fabric is debatable... i dont want to write a dramatic gibberish which makes people happy... I want something that deals with real possibilities however strange it sounds....... Please do help ....

4. Feb 10, 2016 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Then I would suggest not getting into writing. People don't generally care about whether the premise is 100% accurate or not, only that it is internally consistent.

There's little help that we can give you. Your story's central premise relies an a scientific impossibility. But so what? Some of the best sci-fi stories I've ever read break the laws of physics in the first paragraph and never look back. If you have a story idea you want to develop, don't let a little thing like the laws of physics stop you. You're writing fiction, not a scientific report.

5. Feb 10, 2016 #4
    SO its a scientific impossibility.??? does not even qualify as a stand alone scientific singularity.......?

6. Feb 10, 2016 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

"a stand alone scientific singularity"

What does this mean?

7. Feb 10, 2016 #6
    My advice is to continue to research things like the Many Worlds theories to spark your imagination and provide a foundation, but don't lose sight of the bigger picture.

You want to avoid creating science "facts" that are obviously false in the real world and you also want to avoid writing about subjects you do not understand well. It is the surest way to expose your cards. Anyone that knows anything about physics will be discouraged with your novel if the physics is wrong.

The best solution is to simply treat such technologies as matter-of-fact and avoid describing the underlying physics.

My point is that there will be a balance between researching the intended physics and theories and divulging that underlying knowledge to the readers. So, you need to go further down your own research path and refine your questions to more specific inquiries here.

Now, let me give you further advice at the risk of telling something you already may know. The most important attributes for science fiction is not the science, but the human drama at play. This is one reason you can be scant on scientific descriptions because the reader is much more interested in the story of the characters (specifically the hero or heroine) than the underlying science. The science is simply the stage in a play. People do not go to see a play to watch the scenery and backdrops. They are interested in what the actors are doing and more importantly feeling.

90% of your effort should be focused on that task and 10% on the stage settings. That means, if you create a dynamic and well written story no one will be too caught up in the scientific premise. We call it the suspension of disbelief.

Ben Bova wrote an excellent book called https://www.amazon.com/Craft-Writing-Science-Fiction-Sells/dp/0898796008

That book is excellent.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook