Exploring the Possibilities of Parallel Universes: Seeking Help

In summary, the author is suggesting that if you want to write a story that relies on a scientific impossibility, you should focus on developing a well written story first and worry about the physics later. He also suggests reading other books on the subject to help you develop your ideas.
daniel valern
Hi,
I will not claim extensive knowledge of physics which is exactly why i need honest help from you all.. Writing a story based on the idea that with every single decision being made that a new time line is created.. I want it to be logical and possible even if its only theoretically possible.. like in schrodingers cat experiment cat being alive and dead are in two different branches of universe... anyone mind helping?

Physics news on Phys.org
may be i should make it more clear.. imagine that someone forgot to apply parking brakes as incident 1 and he remembers to apply parking brakes as incident 2... the effect of the incident 1 is that a child got hit by the car on a slope and effect of incident 2 that the child had no accident.. so there will exist two different realities based on both the incidents where in one the child is okay and in the next one child is hurt... my story revolves around a person who gets glimpses of the adjacent parallel universe.. He gets only images of the other reality at a particular spot which i thought of as a tear in the time space fabric but when i went through the forum the whole concept of tear in the fabric is debatable... i don't want to write a dramatic gibberish which makes people happy... I want something that deals with real possibilities however strange it sounds... Please do help ...

daniel valern said:
i don't want to write a dramatic gibberish which makes people happy

Then I would suggest not getting into writing. People don't generally care about whether the premise is 100% accurate or not, only that it is internally consistent.

daniel valern said:
I want something that deals with real possibilities however strange it sounds... Please do help ...

There's little help that we can give you. Your story's central premise relies an a scientific impossibility. But so what? Some of the best sci-fi stories I've ever read break the laws of physics in the first paragraph and never look back. If you have a story idea you want to develop, don't let a little thing like the laws of physics stop you. You're writing fiction, not a scientific report.

Likes daniel valern
SO its a scientific impossibility.? does not even qualify as a stand alone scientific singularity...?

"a stand alone scientific singularity"

What does this mean?

My advice is to continue to research things like the Many Worlds theories to spark your imagination and provide a foundation, but don't lose sight of the bigger picture.

You want to avoid creating science "facts" that are obviously false in the real world and you also want to avoid writing about subjects you do not understand well. It is the surest way to expose your cards. Anyone that knows anything about physics will be discouraged with your novel if the physics is wrong.

The best solution is to simply treat such technologies as matter-of-fact and avoid describing the underlying physics.

My point is that there will be a balance between researching the intended physics and theories and divulging that underlying knowledge to the readers. So, you need to go further down your own research path and refine your questions to more specific inquiries here.

Now, let me give you further advice at the risk of telling something you already may know. The most important attributes for science fiction is not the science, but the human drama at play. This is one reason you can be scant on scientific descriptions because the reader is much more interested in the story of the characters (specifically the hero or heroine) than the underlying science. The science is simply the stage in a play. People do not go to see a play to watch the scenery and backdrops. They are interested in what the actors are doing and more importantly feeling.

90% of your effort should be focused on that task and 10% on the stage settings. That means, if you create a dynamic and well written story no one will be too caught up in the scientific premise. We call it the suspension of disbelief.

Ben Bova wrote an excellent book called https://www.amazon.com/dp/0898796008/?tag=pfamazon01-20

That book is excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes daniel valern

1. What are parallel universes?

Parallel universes, also known as alternate universes or multiverses, are theoretical concepts that suggest the existence of multiple universes beyond our own. These universes may have different physical laws, dimensions, or timelines.

2. How do scientists explore the possibilities of parallel universes?

Scientists use various methods, such as mathematical models and theoretical physics, to explore the potential existence and properties of parallel universes. They also study the implications of parallel universes on the known laws of physics and conduct experiments to gather evidence.

3. What is the purpose of seeking help in the exploration of parallel universes?

Seeking help from other scientists and experts in different fields can provide a diverse range of perspectives and ideas, aiding in the exploration of parallel universes. Collaboration and sharing of knowledge can also advance research and understanding in this complex and theoretical topic.

4. Is there any evidence to support the existence of parallel universes?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence to prove the existence of parallel universes. However, some theories, such as the Many-Worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, suggest the possibility of parallel universes. Further research and experiments are needed to gather more evidence.

5. What are the potential implications of parallel universes if they do exist?

If parallel universes do exist, it could have significant implications on our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also open up possibilities for time travel, alternate versions of ourselves, and different outcomes of historical events. However, these are all speculative and require further scientific exploration.