Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sci Fi model of the universe

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    message taken out because people are too immature to dialog without baiting for an argument.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

How do you have a star of ANY magnitude in the atmosphere of a planet? Doesn't make sense.

WHAT event horizon are you talking about?

4. Apr 9, 2013 #3
    message deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  5. Apr 9, 2013 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think this thread belongs in the technical forums, so I've moved it to the Sci Fi section. Just as a warning, if the purpose of the thread is to say, "what are the laws of physics in my hypothetical universe that doesn't exist?", then this may or may not be appropriate for PF. We try to avoid overly speculative threads that don't have a foundation in the actual laws of physics here.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  6. Apr 9, 2013 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

A star is a body that is big enough that gravity balances the internal reactions that produce light and heat. Gravity keeps the whole thing from just vaporizing. Something the size of a small moon would be too small. A "star" the size of a house is just ridiculous.

Given your apparent lack of understanding of basic physics, I suggest that you just make up whatever "science" you want/need and focus on your characters and the storyline.

Also, if you plan to be a writer, you would do well to learn the basic tool of the trade, which is language. "It's" is a contraction of "it is", NEVER the possessive of the neutral pronoun.

7. Apr 9, 2013 #6
    If it's virtual reality then you can do whatever you like. Go wild. There is no need to be concerned with physical laws or with internal consistency.

That's a very peculiar use of the term event horizon.

8. Apr 9, 2013 #7
    I can't believe what a bunch of jerks physics people have become. When I went to school, they were always self composed and up for theoretical discussions. Instead, here we get nitpicky aptitude defamations, warnings that a thread was misposted, and no help or guidance as to the actual question posed. Gud by, and know loss uv mine.

9. Apr 9, 2013 #8

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Warnings from a moderator of this site, who was merely reminding you of the rules that you agreed to when you signed up.

EDIT: Since the OP deleted his posts, this thread serves no useful purpose and is locked.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook