What happened to the respectful discussions in physics?

In summary, the conversation discussed the potential existence of stars within the atmosphere of a planet and their size and role in the story's fictional universe. The conversation also touched on the laws of physics and the use of language in writing. The conversation ended with frustration and the deletion of posts.
JeTSpice
message taken out because people are too immature to dialog without baiting for an argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you have a star of ANY magnitude in the atmosphere of a planet? Doesn't make sense.

WHAT event horizon are you talking about?

message deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this thread belongs in the technical forums, so I've moved it to the Sci Fi section. Just as a warning, if the purpose of the thread is to say, "what are the laws of physics in my hypothetical universe that doesn't exist?", then this may or may not be appropriate for PF. We try to avoid overly speculative threads that don't have a foundation in the actual laws of physics here.

Last edited:
A star is a body that is big enough that gravity balances the internal reactions that produce light and heat. Gravity keeps the whole thing from just vaporizing. Something the size of a small moon would be too small. A "star" the size of a house is just ridiculous.

Given your apparent lack of understanding of basic physics, I suggest that you just make up whatever "science" you want/need and focus on your characters and the storyline.

Also, if you plan to be a writer, you would do well to learn the basic tool of the trade, which is language. "It's" is a contraction of "it is", NEVER the possessive of the neutral pronoun.

JeTSpice said:
Yes, to be clear I don't mean to ask about putting stars the size of what exist in our universe inside the atmosphere of a planet. With my nose to close to the details I didn't paint a very good "big picture" in the original post.

The "stars" in the story don't have a lot of mass nor size. They might be the size of a car or a house. I'm considering that they would be something like the antithesis of black holes: not very dense and exuding a lot of light, a bit like "perpetual light machines". They rotate around the planet like clouds might do. They're not in orbit. (If it helps to visualize, the setting is actually a virtual reality that a guy creates)

All that aside, I'm wondering what the physics of the rest of the world might be like because of having all the matter of it's universe in such close proximity. What kind of observations would a person on the planet's surface have, compared to a person flying in a plane, compared to a person who went outside of the furthest particle?

By "event horizon" I mean to say the altitude past which there are no particles.

If it's virtual reality then you can do whatever you like. Go wild. There is no need to be concerned with physical laws or with internal consistency.

That's a very peculiar use of the term event horizon.

I can't believe what a bunch of jerks physics people have become. When I went to school, they were always self composed and up for theoretical discussions. Instead, here we get nitpicky aptitude defamations, warnings that a thread was misposted, and no help or guidance as to the actual question posed. Gud by, and know loss uv mine.

JeTSpice said:
I can't believe what a bunch of jerks physics people have become. When I went to school, they were always self composed and up for theoretical discussions. Instead, here we get nitpicky aptitude defamations, warnings that a thread was misposted, and no help or guidance as to the actual question posed. Gud by, and know loss uv mine.

Warnings from a moderator of this site, who was merely reminding you of the rules that you agreed to when you signed up.

EDIT: Since the OP deleted his posts, this thread serves no useful purpose and is locked.

Last edited:

1. What is a "Sci Fi model of the universe"?

A "Sci Fi model of the universe" is a theoretical concept that is often explored in science fiction literature and media. It is a fictional representation of the universe that includes elements of advanced technology, alternate realities, and other speculative ideas.

2. How is a "Sci Fi model of the universe" different from the scientific model of the universe?

The scientific model of the universe is based on observable evidence and scientific principles, while a "Sci Fi model of the universe" is purely fictional and often includes elements that are not scientifically possible.

3. Can a "Sci Fi model of the universe" be scientifically accurate?

No, a "Sci Fi model of the universe" is not intended to be scientifically accurate. It is a creative interpretation of the universe that may include elements that are not scientifically possible.

4. What are some common themes found in "Sci Fi models of the universe"?

Some common themes found in "Sci Fi models of the universe" include time travel, advanced technology, extraterrestrial life, and alternate realities.

5. How does the concept of a "Sci Fi model of the universe" influence scientific exploration and discovery?

The concept of a "Sci Fi model of the universe" can inspire scientists to think outside of the box and consider ideas that may seem far-fetched. It can also spark curiosity and encourage individuals to pursue careers in science and technology.