Explore the Science of Sci-Fi: Relativity, Chaos & Superstring Theories

In summary, this is a website that discusses the real science behind popular science fiction stories. It includes a brief introduction to relativity, chaos, and superstring theories, as well as other science concepts. Ivan, the author, sends the site to another user who is tired of trying to get technical. The user finds Astronuc's homepage which redirects them to this thread. There are a number of questions about alternative energy that the user wants to answer before the week is over. There is also a trivia question about the only science fiction movie to win an Oscar.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Welcome ...

As two professional scientists we thought it would be a good idea to create a website to explore the true science underlying popular science fiction, such as Dr Who, Star Trek and Stargate SG-1. Click on the buttons below for a proper scientific explanation for popular Sci-Fi story lines.[continued]
http://www.scifiscience.co.uk/index.htm

From Astronuc. This gives a very brief introduction to Relativity, Chaos, and Superstring Theories, and a few other Sci-Fi Science concepts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty burned-out to try getting technical right now, but I'll for sure be spending a lot of time in this thread once it gets going.

Ivan, is that Astronuc's homepage?

Gotta watch Super Volcano on the Discovery Channel right now...geez, the list is getting longer. I want to check out the thread on alternative energy now in general engineering section, and this...(among other things)...

It's not that good...I'm already back to GD. :eek:

Last edited:
Thank you for the link.

Although I'd much rather have a Sci-Fi show that actually takes science seriously and functions to educate in interesting contexts.

Last edited:
Telos said:
Thank you for the link.

Although I'd much rather have a Sci-Fi show that actually takes science seriously and functions to educate in interesting contexts.

:uhh: Wouldn't it then be called a science documentary rather than science fiction? :wink:

They give a very brief summary of the real science behind sci-fi. Also, no, Astronuc ran across this site but wasn't sure where to post it. So he sent it to me.

Moonbear said:
:uhh: Wouldn't it then be called a science documentary rather than science fiction? :wink:
Not if the science is accurate and the circumstances are fictional. You can learn a lot about poisoning from murder mysteries, but it doesn't make them chemistry classes. (Although it didn't go into any real detail, the principle underlying my favourite or second favourite movie is scientifically valid. In fact, you've probably investigated it to some extent. I'm going to put it out to you as a trivia question. Nobody I've asked has ever gotten it. "What's the only science fiction movie in history to win an Oscar for best actor? HINT: It's based upon a novella that became a book before being filmed.) :biggrin:

Science Fiction is often the basis for science.

Huckleberry said:
Take a look at this. I'm not sure there has only been one oscar winner in sf films

http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b2506017/sf/oscar.htm

Huck
That's cheating, you bum!:tongue: Trivia questions are meant to test your personal knowledge and associative abilities. You're not allowed to Google during a game of 'Trivial Pursuit'. Anyhow, I did specify the category, and not all of the shows listed there are science fiction. 'Star Wars' for instance is pure fantasy. Likewise, some of the others mentioned should be properly categorized as comedy or horror.

edit: I'm not going to tell anyone whether or not they're right for at least a week.

2nd edit: This isn't a thread-jacking. It's just something to think about.

Last edited:
Ahem, Ahem

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0731772/bio

This would be my guess, Cliff Robertson for Charly. The only other option for best actor would be Freidrich March for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. IT's under Sci-fi in the Oscar list but it could be considered a horror movie. Chemistry can be pretty horrifying.

My first guess, before I looked it up, was Charlton Heston. He was a big actor and Planet of the Apes was a big movie. It could have been a book for all I know. I'm pretty sure books have been made of it, but I don't know if they came before or after the movie.

What was the question?
Huck

SOS2008 said:
Science Fiction is often the basis for science.

What gets me is how accomplished scientists, especially from NASA, will cite shows like Star Trek [in particular] as an inspiration for their career. There is one scientist that I saw interviewed recently. I don't know his name but he led one of the deep space efforts that used ion propulsion. He can still cite the dialogue from the ST episode that introduced him to the IP concept.

Ivan Seeking said:
What gets me is how accomplished scientists, especially from NASA, will cite shows like Star Trek [in particular] as an inspiration for their career. There is one scientist that I saw interviewed recently. I don't know his name but he led one of the deep space efforts that used ion propulsion. He can still cite the dialogue from the ST episode that introduced him to the IP concept.

Well, based on the science fair entries I was judging last weekend, I'd say that in the absence of Star Trek, the next generation of scientists are going to be heavily inspired by CSI! There were a number of "forensics" themed experiments that the kids explained as, "I was watching CSI, and they did this, and I was wondering if it really works." I wonder if the local butchers were puzzled as to why a bunch of kids were suddenly asking for blood. :bugeye:

Ivan Seeking said:
Exactly. It's getting late (for me)--I'm trying to think who--but wasn't H.G. Wells an example of this where many concepts of imagination have become reality...?

I wonder if the local butchers were puzzled as to why a bunch of kids were suddenly asking for blood.

No kidding. One might think some cult has moved into town. We had a problem with a small group of Satan worshipers around here for a time. Numerous requests for blood would probably draw some serious attention. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
No kidding. One might think some cult has moved into town. We had a problem with a small group of Satan worshipers around here for a time. Numerous requests for blood would probably draw some serious attention. :biggin:

Big gin huh? Has SOS been slipping you martinis over there too?

(Speaking of green apple martinis...where has Tsu been hiding?)

Moonbear said:

My left index finger left the room for a moment.

Stressing over redecorating/remodeling. We have a lot to do between now and September, and she is busy picking colors, paints, cabinets, etc. etc. etc. My turn next. I even have to move the stinking wall! :grumpy:

Also, spring is here. So if she's not at Home Depot or looking at fixtures, she's gardening. So it may be a while yet. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Or is Ivan still trying to hide his involvement in the cat shavings...

Moonbear said:
Yeah, where has Tsu been? *hiccup*

Ivan Seeking said:
My left index finger left the room for a moment.

...Stressing over redecorating/remodeling. We have a lot to do between now and September, and she is busy picking colors, paints, cabinets, etc. etc. etc. My turn next. I even have to move the stinking wall! :grumpy:

Also, spring is here. So if she's not at Home Depot or looking at fixtures, she's gardening. So it may be a while yet. :biggrin:
Whoohoo! Then it'll be time for a BBQ!

Funny, we BBQ'd a couple of steaks tonight.

Oh yes, ribeye steaks are running over, gulp, $10 a Lb? I couldn't believe it!

SOS2008 said:
Exactly. It's getting late (for me)--I'm trying to think who--but wasn't H.G. Wells an example of this where many concepts of imagination have become reality...?
Wells was more fantasy/socialogical (the Time Machine; the Invisible Man) than scientifically astute. I believe that you're thinking of Jules Verne (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea; First Man to the Moon; Around the World in 80 Days). He pretty much invented the nuclear sub.

Likes Lren Zvsm
Danger said:
Wells was more fantasy/socialogical (the Time Machine; the Invisible Man) than scientifically astute. I believe that you're thinking of Jules Verne (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea; First Man to the Moon; Around the World in 80 Days). He pretty much invented the nuclear sub.
Oh thank you! :!) Jules Verne! Even this morning I couldn't think of the name--it was driving me crazy. (Well, crazier...)

Ivan Seeking said:
They give a very brief summary of the real science behind sci-fi. Also, no, Astronuc ran across this site but wasn't sure where to post it. So he sent it to me.

They need to redo the page. It looked like a crackpot site :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Stressing over redecorating/remodeling. We have a lot to do between now and September, and she is busy picking colors, paints, cabinets, etc. etc. etc. My turn next. I even have to move the stinking wall! :grumpy:
I hope you checked to see if it was weight-bearing or not first! :eek:
I grew up with this. Until the time I moved out on my own, I never lived in a house (4 in all) that wasn't extensively remodeled or built by my parents (and once I was old enough, with my help).

Move a wall? Mere childs play. I once helped my dad move the whole kitchen!

Janus said:
I once helped my dad move the whole kitchen!
You'd'a (hey, there's one for Gale's thread) loved my place. The kitchen and front porch were both nailed on at least 20 years after the core house was built.

Danger said:
You'd'a (hey, there's one for Gale's thread) loved my place. The kitchen and front porch were both nailed on at least 20 years after the core house was built.

Oh, I've added on to a house. The kitchen we moved went into what used to be a bedroom (someone else's earlier add-on to the house.). The kitchen became the dining room and the dining room an extension of the living room. This left us a bedroom short, so we added a new addition with a bedroom. The trick with an addition is to make it look as little like an addition as possible. I've seen too many that look like they were just "nailed on".

Ivan Seeking said:

Hmmm...I really should get you guys to visit some time. Actually, once I realized my bathroom wall is covered with 1" of concrete and steel mesh (when I needed to adjust the holes ever so slightly to fit the new tub faucets in place, I discovered this), I decided I really don't want to replace the tile on the walls. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Hmmm...I really should get you guys to visit some time. Actually, once I realized my bathroom wall is covered with 1" of concrete and steel mesh (when I needed to adjust the holes ever so slightly to fit the new tub faucets in place, I discovered this), I decided I really don't want to replace the tile on the walls. :rolleyes:
Why don't you just boil it down to the core issue–you want Ty Pennington to visit you. :rolleyes:

edit: Time to go play darts now. Will check in when I get home. Wish me luck, 'cause skill I ain't got. Awww... forget that. I don't believe in luck either. (Damn! It's a lot tougher being an Atheist than most people think.

2nd edit: Who am I kidding? If I weren't resolutely straight, I'd want him to visit. I've only watched a couple of episodes, but it seems to me that they do one hell of a lot more good than one would expect from a TV show. The one last night was only the second one that I've seen, and they had Elton John donate and autograph a piano to a home that adopts HIV-positive kids, and the builder tore up the mortgage. I don't care it the network suits are looking at the profit line... that's flippin' awesome.

****! I have 30 seconds to get to my darts match, and it's a 4 minute walk. Catch you later.

Last edited:
Danger said:
Why don't you just boil it down to the core issue–you want Ty Pennington to visit you. :rolleyes:

Oh, that is so very much a YES! Do you think he's straight? He seems a little too good to be true...hot hot hot and witty and knows how to build stuff and did I mention hot? :tongue2:

Moonbear said:
Oh, that is so very much a YES! Do you think he's straight? He seems a little too good to be true...hot hot hot and witty and knows how to build stuff and did I mention hot? :tongue2:
They spoofed him on Saturday Night Live the other night. :biggrin: I think that's the first SNL I've seen in 3-4 years.

The_Professional said:
They need to redo the page. It looked like a crackpot site :biggrin:

I know. I checked and it appears that at least one of the listed owners is a retired physics professor.

Janus said:
I hope you checked to see if it was weight-bearing or not first! :eek:
I grew up with this. Until the time I moved out on my own, I never lived in a house (4 in all) that wasn't extensively remodeled or built by my parents (and once I was old enough, with my help).

Move a wall? Mere childs play. I once helped my dad move the whole kitchen!

I just rip stuff out and see what happens. It's more intersting that way. :eek:

Its just a divider wall between the tub and toilet. Unfortunately this house was built with some oddball size [tub] that no one makes anymore. So I get to move the wall a whole 2.5".

Ivan Seeking said:
Its just a divider wall between the tub and toilet. Unfortunately this house was built with some oddball size [tub] that no one makes anymore. So I get to move the wall a whole 2.5".

Hey, I think I have the same size tub! :bugeye: I would definitely have to recess a new tub into the wall or move a wall as well. Along with measurements of the stairwell leading up to that bathroom, which seem to suggest a full-sized tub might not be able to make the turn into the stairwell, and the lack of desire to bring a tub in through an enlarged window opening (I keep having images of that Home Improvement episode where they remodeled the bathroom popping into my mind when I think about bringing fixtures in through windows), I think my best bet for getting an updated bathroom is to buy a new house. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.scifiscience.co.uk/index.htm

From Astronuc. This gives a very brief introduction to Relativity, Chaos, and Superstring Theories, and a few other Sci-Fi Science concepts.

I love SG-1.

Right up there with Star Trek and The Twilight Zone IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: