Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sci-Fi Science

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.scifiscience.co.uk/index.htm

From Astronuc. This gives a very brief introduction to Relativity, Chaos, and Superstring Theories, and a few other Sci-Fi Science concepts.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'm pretty burned-out to try getting technical right now, but I'll for sure be spending a lot of time in this thread once it gets going.

4. Apr 10, 2005 #3
    Ivan, is that Astronuc's homepage?

5. Apr 10, 2005 #4

SOS2008

Gold Member

Gotta watch Super Volcano on the Discovery Channel right now...geez, the list is getting longer. I want to check out the thread on alternative energy now in general engineering section, and this...(among other things)...

It's not that good...I'm already back to GD. :eek:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  6. Apr 10, 2005 #5
    Thank you for the link.

Although I'd much rather have a Sci-Fi show that actually takes science seriously and functions to educate in interesting contexts.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  7. Apr 10, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:uhh: Wouldn't it then be called a science documentary rather than science fiction? :wink:

8. Apr 11, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They give a very brief summary of the real science behind sci-fi. Also, no, Astronuc ran across this site but wasn't sure where to post it. So he sent it to me.

9. Apr 11, 2005 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Not if the science is accurate and the circumstances are fictional. You can learn a lot about poisoning from murder mysteries, but it doesn't make them chemistry classes. (Although it didn't go into any real detail, the principle underlying my favourite or second favourite movie is scientifically valid. In fact, you've probably investigated it to some extent. I'm going to put it out to you as a trivia question. Nobody I've asked has ever gotten it. "What's the only science fiction movie in history to win an Oscar for best actor? HINT: It's based upon a novella that became a book before being filmed.) :biggrin:

10. Apr 11, 2005 #9

SOS2008

Gold Member

Science Fiction is often the basis for science.

11. Apr 11, 2005 #10
  12. Apr 11, 2005 #11

Danger

Gold Member

That's cheating, you bum!:tongue: Trivia questions are meant to test your personal knowledge and associative abilities. You're not allowed to Google during a game of 'Trivial Pursuit'. Anyhow, I did specify the category, and not all of the shows listed there are science fiction. 'Star Wars' for instance is pure fantasy. Likewise, some of the others mentioned should be properly categorized as comedy or horror.

edit: I'm not going to tell anyone whether or not they're right for at least a week.

2nd edit: This isn't a thread-jacking. It's just something to think about.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  13. Apr 11, 2005 #12
    Ahem, Ahem

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0731772/bio

This would be my guess, Cliff Robertson for Charly. The only other option for best actor would be Freidrich March for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. IT's under Sci-fi in the Oscar list but it could be considered a horror movie. Chemistry can be pretty horrifying.

My first guess, before I looked it up, was Charlton Heston. He was a big actor and Planet of the Apes was a big movie. It could have been a book for all I know. I'm pretty sure books have been made of it, but I don't know if they came before or after the movie.

What was the question?
    Huck

14. Apr 11, 2005 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What gets me is how accomplished scientists, especially from NASA, will cite shows like Star Trek [in particular] as an inspiration for their career. There is one scientist that I saw interviewed recently. I don't know his name but he led one of the deep space efforts that used ion propulsion. He can still cite the dialogue from the ST episode that introduced him to the IP concept.

15. Apr 11, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, based on the science fair entries I was judging last weekend, I'd say that in the absence of Star Trek, the next generation of scientists are going to be heavily inspired by CSI! There were a number of "forensics" themed experiments that the kids explained as, "I was watching CSI, and they did this, and I was wondering if it really works." I wonder if the local butchers were puzzled as to why a bunch of kids were suddenly asking for blood. :bugeye:

16. Apr 11, 2005 #15

SOS2008

Gold Member

Exactly. It's getting late (for me)--I'm trying to think who--but wasn't H.G. Wells an example of this where many concepts of imagination have become reality...?

17. Apr 11, 2005 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No kidding. One might think some cult has moved into town. We had a problem with a small group of Satan worshipers around here for a time. Numerous requests for blood would probably draw some serious attention. :biggrin:

18. Apr 11, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Big gin huh? Has SOS been slipping you martinis over there too?

(Speaking of green apple martinis...where has Tsu been hiding?)

19. Apr 11, 2005 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My left index finger left the room for a moment.

Stressing over redecorating/remodeling. We have a lot to do between now and September, and she is busy picking colors, paints, cabinets, etc. etc. etc. My turn next. I even have to move the stinking wall!!! :grumpy:

Also, spring is here. So if she's not at Home Depot or looking at fixtures, she's gardening. So it may be a while yet. :biggrin:

20. Apr 11, 2005 #19

SOS2008

Gold Member

Or is Ivan still trying to hide his involvement in the cat shavings...

Yeah, where has Tsu been? *hiccup*

21. Apr 11, 2005 #20

SOS2008

Gold Member

Whoohoo! Then it'll be time for a BBQ!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?