Sci-Fi Science

  • #26
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
246
Janus said:
I once helped my dad move the whole kitchen!
You'd'a (hey, there's one for Gale's thread) loved my place. The kitchen and front porch were both nailed on at least 20 years after the core house was built.
 
  • #27
Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
3,578
1,366
Danger said:
You'd'a (hey, there's one for Gale's thread) loved my place. The kitchen and front porch were both nailed on at least 20 years after the core house was built.
Oh, I've added on to a house. The kitchen we moved went into what used to be a bedroom (someone else's earlier add-on to the house.). The kitchen became the dining room and the dining room an extension of the living room. This left us a bedroom short, so we added a new addition with a bedroom. The trick with an addition is to make it look as little like an addition as possible. I've seen too many that look like they were just "nailed on".
 
  • #28
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
Ivan Seeking said:
Stressing over redecorating/remodeling. We have a lot to do between now and September, and she is busy picking colors, paints, cabinets, etc. etc. etc. My turn next. I even have to move the stinking wall!!! :grumpy:
Hmmm...I really should get you guys to visit some time. Actually, once I realized my bathroom wall is covered with 1" of concrete and steel mesh (when I needed to adjust the holes ever so slightly to fit the new tub faucets in place, I discovered this), I decided I really don't want to replace the tile on the walls. :rolleyes:
 
  • #29
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
246
Moonbear said:
Hmmm...I really should get you guys to visit some time. Actually, once I realized my bathroom wall is covered with 1" of concrete and steel mesh (when I needed to adjust the holes ever so slightly to fit the new tub faucets in place, I discovered this), I decided I really don't want to replace the tile on the walls. :rolleyes:
Why don't you just boil it down to the core issue–you want Ty Pennington to visit you. :rolleyes:

edit: Time to go play darts now. Will check in when I get home. Wish me luck, 'cause skill I ain't got. Awww... forget that. I don't believe in luck either. (Damn! It's a lot tougher being an Atheist than most people think.

2nd edit: Who am I kidding? If I weren't resolutely straight, I'd want him to visit. I've only watched a couple of episodes, but it seems to me that they do one hell of a lot more good than one would expect from a TV show. The one last night was only the second one that I've seen, and they had Elton John donate and autograph a piano to a home that adopts HIV-positive kids, and the builder tore up the mortgage. I don't care it the network suits are looking at the profit line... that's flippin' awesome.

****! I have 30 seconds to get to my darts match, and it's a 4 minute walk. Catch you later.
 
Last edited:
  • #30
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
Danger said:
Why don't you just boil it down to the core issue–you want Ty Pennington to visit you. :rolleyes:
Oh, that is so very much a YES! Do you think he's straight? He seems a little too good to be true...hot hot hot and witty and knows how to build stuff and did I mention hot? :tongue2:
 
  • #31
Evo
Mentor
23,165
2,873
Moonbear said:
Oh, that is so very much a YES! Do you think he's straight? He seems a little too good to be true...hot hot hot and witty and knows how to build stuff and did I mention hot? :tongue2:
They spoofed him on Saturday Night Live the other night. :biggrin: I think that's the first SNL I've seen in 3-4 years.
 
  • #32
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,242
225
The_Professional said:
They need to redo the page. It looked like a crackpot site :biggrin:
I know. I checked and it appears that at least one of the listed owners is a retired physics professor.
 
  • #33
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,242
225
Janus said:
I hope you checked to see if it was weight-bearing or not first! :eek:
I grew up with this. Until the time I moved out on my own, I never lived in a house (4 in all) that wasn't extensively remodeled or built by my parents (and once I was old enough, with my help).

Move a wall? Mere childs play. I once helped my dad move the whole kitchen!
I just rip stuff out and see what happens. It's more intersting that way. :eek:

Its just a divider wall between the tub and toilet. Unfortunately this house was built with some oddball size [tub] that no one makes anymore. So I get to move the wall a whole 2.5".
 
  • #34
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
Ivan Seeking said:
Its just a divider wall between the tub and toilet. Unfortunately this house was built with some oddball size [tub] that no one makes anymore. So I get to move the wall a whole 2.5".
Hey, I think I have the same size tub! :bugeye: I would definitely have to recess a new tub into the wall or move a wall as well. Along with measurements of the stairwell leading up to that bathroom, which seem to suggest a full-sized tub might not be able to make the turn into the stairwell, and the lack of desire to bring a tub in through an enlarged window opening (I keep having images of that Home Improvement episode where they remodeled the bathroom popping into my mind when I think about bringing fixtures in through windows), I think my best bet for getting an updated bathroom is to buy a new house. :biggrin:
 
  • #35
1,414
5
Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.scifiscience.co.uk/index.htm [Broken]

From Astronuc. This gives a very brief introduction to Relativity, Chaos, and Superstring Theories, and a few other Sci-Fi Science concepts.
I love SG-1.

Right up there with Star Trek and The Twilight Zone IMO.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #36
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
246
Moonbear said:
(I keep having images of that Home Improvement episode where they remodeled the bathroom popping into my mind when I think about bringing fixtures in through windows)
I used to belong to the Experimental Aircraft Association. One of our members didn't have a garage, so he built his aeroplane in the basement. Guess what he forgot... :rolleyes: :biggrin:
 
  • #37
Ivan Seeking said:
I know. I checked and it appears that at least one of the listed owners is a retired physics professor.
So he's a retired crackpot
 
  • #38
459
7
Danger said:
I used to belong to the Experimental Aircraft Association. One of our members didn't have a garage, so he built his aeroplane in the basement. Guess what he forgot... :rolleyes: :biggrin:
His towel?
 
  • #39
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,242
225
The_Professional said:
So he's a retired crackpot
I didn't see anything that looked offensive. Did you?

Also, I have to wonder, who are you to call him a crackpot?
 
  • #40
Ivan Seeking said:
I didn't see anything that looked offensive. Did you?

Also, I have to wonder, who are you to call him a crackpot?
I was just kidding. If I put the smilie face after then that would ruin it
 
  • #41
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,242
225
The_Professional said:
I was just kidding. If I put the smilie face after then that would ruin it
Sorry, :redface: I seem to be incapable of sorting our who's joking and who's not lately.
 
  • #42
Ivan Seeking said:
Sorry, :redface: I seem to be incapable of sorting our who's joking and who's not lately.
It was too dry of a joke to get. I have a lot of respect for physicists and scientists.
 
  • #43
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
246
Huckleberry said:
His towel?
You're beginning to worry me, lad... :tongue:

Ivan Seeking said:
I seem to be incapable of sorting our who's joking and who's not lately.
I never joke. I like to put lots of smilies on my posts so people will think that I have a sense of humour. :biggrin:
Like that.
 
  • #44
Skinny, aliens naturally have a different sense of humor than us humans. Must be that anti-gravity belt they wear on earth..
 
  • #45
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
246
The_Professional said:
Skinny, aliens naturally have a different sense of humor than us humans. Must be that anti-gravity belt they wear on earth..
Slender, respected Sir, Slender. Skinny is my second cousin three times removed on my neighbour's side of the family. (He was killed trying to get back in the fourth time.)
 
  • #46
124
0
Ivan Seeking said:
What gets me is how accomplished scientists, especially from NASA, will cite shows like Star Trek [in particular] as an inspiration for their career. There is one scientist that I saw interviewed recently. I don't know his name but he led one of the deep space efforts that used ion propulsion. He can still cite the dialogue from the ST episode that introduced him to the IP concept.
Well, being inspired and being educated are complementary but very different things. I really want a show to do both.

I know the scientist you're talking about. He worked on the Deep Space 1 probe, and he uses that quote from Star Trek to introduce the probe's ion drive. Spock said something like, "Captain, unknown alien ship ahead, detecting ion drive... very advanced technology." It's an amusingly ironic anecdote, because here we have an actual ion drive, and it's not at all like Star Trek, but it's still really cool.

I just want to see some sci-fi that is more down to this universe. :frown:

How many shows have to come and go before one actually gets serious about language barriers? What's so fun about watching a fake super-genius learn a language in a couple minutes? :grumpy: Are people turned off by the nitty gritty? I don't think so. There are ways to make it fun, interesting, and genuinely educational.

It'd probably have to be an entirely new genre.

Social science fiction. :rofl:
 
  • #47
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
246
Telos said:
How many shows have to come and go before one actually gets serious about language barriers?
The Universal Translator from Trek surely must be the most amazing device ever created. It even works for deaf people. Notice how it alters everyone's facial movements so that they can lip-read in English.
 
  • #48
459
7
And don't forget the babblefish from HGTTG!

Danger said:
"What's the only science fiction movie in history to win an Oscar for best actor? HINT: It's based upon a novella that became a book before being filmed.)
Is it Cliff Robertson from Charly?
 
  • #49
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
246
Huckleberry said:
Is it Cliff Robertson from Charly?
Since only 2 of you answered, (and 1 cheated :tongue: ) I'll declare you winners. I should have known better than to ask it here. No one, and I do mean absolutely no one outside of the SF/Science community acknowledges that Charly was science fiction. I bet you'll find it in the mainstream drama section of your local video place.
 
  • #50
Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
3,578
1,366
Danger said:
Since only 2 of you answered, (and 1 cheated :tongue: ) I'll declare you winners. I should have known better than to ask it here. No one, and I do mean absolutely no one outside of the SF/Science community acknowledges that Charly was science fiction. I bet you'll find it in the mainstream drama section of your local video place.
That despite the fact that Flowers for Algernon won Daniel Keyes both the Hugo in 1959 for the Short story and the Nebula in 1966 for the Novel.
 

Related Threads on Sci-Fi Science

  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
34
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
23
Views
4K
Replies
10
Views
1K
Replies
8
Views
3K
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
26
Views
14K
  • Last Post
Replies
16
Views
10K
Top