Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sci-Tech Texas

1. Jan 1, 2006 #1
    If you know anything about Science ,Technology,and Engineering you'd know that Texas is a major leader.

Many companies are based here and so are high rated schools. Dell,Texas Instruments,and NASA are some of many things operating here. From what I understand Dallas and Austin are more liek places for Technology,and Houston is more of a spot for Science.

All my life I've lived in Houston and have watched the many developments and breakthroughs that have come from here. Compaq-Hewlitt Packard would probrably be th e niggest place for technology here. But I want to know what you think of Texas. What do you think of our current enviroment for Science and Technology.? Do you have in information on any new things happening here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2006 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

University of Texas has just lost its bid to run Los Alamos. So obviously, the DOE wasn't that impressed.

Zz.

4. Jan 1, 2006 #3
    Bid,run? Los Al is a government laboratory. The University Of Texas shouldn't have anything to do with it.

5. Jan 1, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Berkeley just got its contract renewed to run LBNL right zap?

6. Jan 1, 2006 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You should read up a bit about these things before saying something like that.

ALL of the US Nat'l Labs are owned by the DOE, but they are run by various entities. Battele/Stony Brook runs Brookhaven. The University of Chicago runs Argonne, and the University of California ran Los Alamos. Los Alamos was up for bids, and Texas along with... er.. was it Lockheed, were bidding against U. of California. And they lost!

Zz.

7. Jan 1, 2006 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

:rofl:
    Texas A&M U. was teamed up with Bechtel for the INL operations contract. They lost to Battelle and a consortium of other universities.

Dell is a commercial/business success rather than technological success. The components, i.e. technology come from other suppliers. Dell just puts them together.

NASA JSC is just one of many NASA sites around the country.

So I wouldn't necessarily say that Texas is a major leader, except perhaps for air and water pollution.

8. Jan 1, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah that's not saying much :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9. Jan 1, 2006 #8
    Let's see the microchip,the artificial heart,and and many things were invented here. Breakthroughs in superconductivity research were done here. We were also the spot for the temorarily lived Supercolider.

10. Jan 1, 2006 #9

Evo

My little sister graduated from UT and still lives in Austin. I was born and raised in Houston and my mother and youngest sister still live there.

I swore once I left Houston I would NEVER live there again. The rain, flooding, 100% humidity, air stagnation, sinking city, cockroaches, fire ants, killer bees, poisonous snakes, traffic, lack of adequate mass transit with huge distances to drive across town. :yuck:

Dallas has been drawing some smaller high tech companies, but really outside of Houston and Dallas, there's not much going on high tech in the state.

11. Jan 1, 2006 #10
    Umm can you say Austin? Austin is the second spot for Hi-tech companies in The United States. San Fransico's Silicon Valley is there first of course. But outside that it's Austin Texas. SO many techies,liberals ,college kids,and party animals. It's scientific,liberal,intellectual,party playground.
    All the technoheads that are moving from San Fransisco are moving there.

12. Jan 1, 2006 #11
    :rofl: Who in the hell cares? My state is better than your state ... my dad can kick your dads ass!

13. Jan 1, 2006 #12
    Do you know why the wind always blows in Oklahoma? Texas sucks.

14. Jan 1, 2006 #13

Astronuc

Actually, Farchild Semiconductor preceeded TI and Jack Kilby on the integrated circuit and microchip.
    http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa080498.htm

A check of Fairchild's facilities shows several in the US, none are in Texas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_heart

http://sln.fi.edu/biosci/healthy/fake.html

A colliding system was subsequently built at Fermilab near Chicago in Illinois.

15. Jan 1, 2006 #14
    It's debated on who exactly invented the microchip but Jack kilby and Texas Instruments are credited.

I could have sworn the Dr.Debakey invented the artificial heart in Houston.

And just what state do you live in Matt? Texas is planning a transportation plan. High Speed rail down all the major highways of the state and we in Housotn are working on a rail system.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2006
  16. Jan 1, 2006 #15

Evo

Don't worry line, people are just giving you grief for being so excited about Texas.

Astonuc also lived in Houston for awhile.

17. Jan 1, 2006 #16
    Don't mess with TexasYour state flag can't be raised higher then your states flag.:cool: :cool:

18. Jan 2, 2006 #17

Astronuc

And I have family living there now.

But my experience with Houston is that it is a rather polluted city. It has some of the most polluted air in the country.

I believe HS rail when I see it. It should have been done 30 years ago, given that Houston has some of the highest density of rail lines in the country, except possibly for Chicago.

The Southern Pacific had a line along the Southwest Freeway (US-59), which went all the way to Union Station on the eastside of downtown, and it was uprooted for business development and parking lots - not a very efficient use.

Michael E. DeBakey is certainly one of the pioneers of the heart transplant operation. IIRC, he did not think much of artificial hearts. Denton Cooley, a collaborator of Debakey, left and became a chief competitor. Cooley tried to use an artificial heart, but was not too successful.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  19. Jan 2, 2006 #18
    Oh no you dih'int! Funny, I never hear of anyone moving TO Arizona. On a lighter note, and if anyone cares...the super-collider up north is now used for tactical training. You can get close to a gate around Maypearl but will probably get followed...seriously...the name of the place is Maypearl. That's West of Waxahatchie, East of Venus, and about three hours North of Dime Box.
    ...and we all know Oklahoma is...OK.:biggrin:

20. Jan 2, 2006 #19
    Q. Do you know why the wind in New Mexico moves from East to West?

A. Because Texas Blows and Arizona Sucks!

:smile:

21. Jan 3, 2006 #20
    Ok now you're getting. Mind yo we have the largest base in the world in Texas. It's called Ft.Hood.

Ok so it was Cooley who worked on the artificial heart either way it was pioneered in Texas.

And yes we have a lightrail line right now. It runs down Main Street. Our former mayor unwittingly put it down Main and dug up 2 of the lanes. We've had like 112 accidents since it opened from people running into the train. Not ot mention there's a water fountain smack dab in hte middle of the street.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?