Is Texas the Next Hub for Science and Technology?

• Thread starter Line
  • Start date
In summary, Texas is quickly emerging as a major hub for science and technology, with top universities, renowned research institutions, and a business-friendly environment attracting some of the world's leading companies and innovators. With a strong focus on fields such as energy, biotechnology, and aerospace, Texas is poised to become a key player in the global science and technology landscape. Additionally, the state's low cost of living and high quality of life make it an attractive destination for top talent and a breeding ground for innovation. However, challenges such as funding and diversity in the tech industry remain, and it will take continued effort and investment to solidify Texas' position as a top destination for cutting-edge research and development.
Line
If you know anything about Science ,Technology,and Engineering you'd know that Texas is a major leader.

Many companies are based here and so are high rated schools. Dell,Texas Instruments,and NASA are some of many things operating here. From what I understand Dallas and Austin are more liek places for Technology,and Houston is more of a spot for Science.

All my life I've lived in Houston and have watched the many developments and breakthroughs that have come from here. Compaq-Hewlitt Packard would probrably be th e niggest place for technology here. But I want to know what you think of Texas. What do you think of our current environment for Science and Technology.? Do you have in information on any new things happening here?

Physics news on Phys.org
University of Texas has just lost its bid to run Los Alamos. So obviously, the DOE wasn't that impressed.

Zz.

Bid,run? Los Al is a government laboratory. The University Of Texas shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Berkeley just got its contract renewed to run LBNL right zap?

Line said:
Bid,run? Los Al is a government laboratory. The University Of Texas shouldn't have anything to do with it.

You should read up a bit about these things before saying something like that.

ALL of the US Nat'l Labs are owned by the DOE, but they are run by various entities. Battele/Stony Brook runs Brookhaven. The University of Chicago runs Argonne, and the University of California ran Los Alamos. Los Alamos was up for bids, and Texas along with... er.. was it Lockheed, were bidding against U. of California. And they lost!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
University of Texas has just lost its bid to run Los Alamos. So obviously, the DOE wasn't that impressed.
:rofl:
Texas A&M U. was teamed up with Bechtel for the INL operations contract. They lost to Battelle and a consortium of other universities.

Dell is a commercial/business success rather than technological success. The components, i.e. technology come from other suppliers. Dell just puts them together.

NASA JSC is just one of many NASA sites around the country.

So I wouldn't necessarily say that Texas is a major leader, except perhaps for air and water pollution.

Line said:
Compaq-Hewlitt Packard would probrably be th e niggest place for technology here.

Yah that's not saying much :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Let's see the microchip,the artificial heart,and and many things were invented here. Breakthroughs in superconductivity research were done here. We were also the spot for the temorarily lived Supercolider.

My little sister graduated from UT and still lives in Austin. I was born and raised in Houston and my mother and youngest sister still live there.

I swore once I left Houston I would NEVER live there again. The rain, flooding, 100% humidity, air stagnation, sinking city, cockroaches, fire ants, killer bees, poisonous snakes, traffic, lack of adequate mass transit with huge distances to drive across town. :yuck:

Dallas has been drawing some smaller high tech companies, but really outside of Houston and Dallas, there's not much going on high tech in the state.

Umm can you say Austin? Austin is the second spot for Hi-tech companies in The United States. San Fransico's Silicon Valley is there first of course. But outside that it's Austin Texas. SO many techies,liberals ,college kids,and party animals. It's scientific,liberal,intellectual,party playground.
All the technoheads that are moving from San Fransisco are moving there.

:rofl: Who in the hell cares? My state is better than your state ... my dad can kick your dads ass!

Do you know why the wind always blows in Oklahoma? Texas sucks.

Line said:
Let's see the microchip,the artificial heart,and and many things were invented here. Breakthroughs in superconductivity research were done here. We were also the spot for the temorarily lived Supercolider.
Actually, Farchild Semiconductor preceeded TI and Jack Kilby on the integrated circuit and microchip.
Jack Kilby, an engineer with a background in ceramic-based silk screen circuit boards and transistor-based hearing aids, started working for Texas Instruments in 1958. A year earlier, research engineer Robert Noyce had co-founded the Fairchild Semiconductor Corporation.

In 1959 both parties applied for patents. Robert Noyce and the Fairchild Semiconductor Corporation received U.S. patent #2,981,877 for a silicon based integrated circuit. Jack Kilby and Texas Instruments received U.S. patent #3,138,743 for miniaturized electronic circuits.

http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa080498.htm

A check of Fairchild's facilities shows several in the US, none are in Texas.

The first artificial heart was patented by Paul Winchell in 1963. Winchell subsequently assigned the patent to the University of Utah, where Robert Jarvik ultimately used it as the model for his Jarvik-7.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_heart

The Jarvik-7 was first used during the early-1980s. However, earlier artificial hearts date back to the mid-1950s. In 1957, a team of scientists, led by Willem Kolff, a Dutch-born physician, tested their model in animals to identify problems. In 1969, a team led by Denton Cooley of the Texas Heart Institute successfully kept a human patient alive for more than sixty hours with their model. During the years that followed, the notion of a permanent, rather than temporary, implantation began to take hold.

In 1982, a team led by William DeVries of the University of Utah implanted the Jarvik-7 into a patient named Barney Clark. For various medical reasons, a transplant operation was not an option for Clark. Therefore, he was a prime candidate for a permanent artificial heart. He survived with the Jarvik-7 for 112 days.
http://sln.fi.edu/biosci/healthy/fake.html

A colliding system was subsequently built at Fermilab near Chicago in Illinois.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's debated on who exactly invented the microchip but Jack kilby and Texas Instruments are credited.

I could have sworn the Dr.Debakey invented the artificial heart in Houston.

And just what state do you live in Matt? Texas is planning a transportation plan. High Speed rail down all the major highways of the state and we in Housotn are working on a rail system.

Last edited:
Don't worry line, people are just giving you grief for being so excited about Texas.

Astonuc also lived in Houston for awhile.

mattmns said:
:rofl: Who in the hell cares? My state is better than your state ... my dad can kick your dads ass!
Don't mess with TexasYour state flag can't be raised higher then your states flag.:cool: :cool:

Evo said:
Astonuc also lived in Houston for awhile.
And I have family living there now.

But my experience with Houston is that it is a rather polluted city. It has some of the most polluted air in the country.

I believe HS rail when I see it. It should have been done 30 years ago, given that Houston has some of the highest density of rail lines in the country, except possibly for Chicago.

The Southern Pacific had a line along the Southwest Freeway (US-59), which went all the way to Union Station on the eastside of downtown, and it was uprooted for business development and parking lots - not a very efficient use.

Michael E. DeBakey is certainly one of the pioneers of the heart transplant operation. IIRC, he did not think much of artificial hearts. Denton Cooley, a collaborator of Debakey, left and became a chief competitor. Cooley tried to use an artificial heart, but was not too successful.

Last edited:
tribdog said:
Do you know why the wind always blows in Oklahoma? Texas sucks.
Oh no you dih'int! Funny, I never hear of anyone moving TO Arizona. On a lighter note, and if anyone cares...the super-collider up north is now used for tactical training. You can get close to a gate around Maypearl but will probably get followed...seriously...the name of the place is Maypearl. That's West of Waxahatchie, East of Venus, and about three hours North of Dime Box.
...and we all know Oklahoma is...OK.:biggrin:

Q. Do you know why the wind in New Mexico moves from East to West?

A. Because Texas Blows and Arizona Sucks!

:smile:

Ok now you're getting. Mind yo we have the largest base in the world in Texas. It's called Ft.Hood.

Ok so it was Cooley who worked on the artificial heart either way it was pioneered in Texas.

And yes we have a lightrail line right now. It runs down Main Street. Our former mayor unwittingly put it down Main and dug up 2 of the lanes. We've had like 112 accidents since it opened from people running into the train. Not ot mention there's a water fountain smack dab in hte middle of the street.

Arizona>Texas

Case closed.

Who wants to deal with such humidity as in texas?

Rice University, St. Thomas, UTMB, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas Southern and UofH are all in HOuston. Great place for a biologist/chemist to work. From what I have heard the first cosmetic breast augmentation was performed in Houston. :tongue2:
The one thing I hate about Houston as of now is the pathetic light rail system they have, the HOuston Texans, hearing about fights breaking out at high schools between hurricane refugees and local kids, and the fact that 'Hottub' TOm Delay is my rep.
Houston also has the largest hospital complex in the world. Home to Halliburton (did it just get cold?), and the less than pathetic Houston Texans.
Unless you live in the suburbs, HOuston is not a great place to live. Much rather be in Austin around Inks Lake.

Echo 6 Sierra said:
Funny, I never hear of anyone moving TO Arizona.
Come up north for a bit. Arizona is the new Florida. Arizona will soon be filled with millions of slow driving blue hairs that move down there for retirement. Hell, my mother-in-law just put in a bid on a house.

Line said:
And yes we have a lightrail line right now. It runs down Main Street. Our former mayor unwittingly put it down Main and dug up 2 of the lanes. We've had like 112 accidents since it opened from people running into the train. Not to mention there's a water fountain smack dab in hte middle of the street.
You mean the fountain by the Warwick Hotel, near Herman Park?

No Astonauc the FOuntain on Main before Foley's It's by Walker.

And as for humidity that Houston not all of Texas. The climate and environment is different as you go through differents parts of the state.

1. Is Texas a top destination for science and technology?

Yes, Texas is rapidly becoming a major hub for science and technology. In recent years, it has attracted top talent and investment in various fields such as biotechnology, aerospace, and renewable energy. The state also has several prestigious research institutions and a strong entrepreneurial culture.

2. What are some of the factors contributing to Texas' growth in science and technology?

There are several factors driving Texas' growth in science and technology. One major factor is the state's business-friendly policies and low taxes, which have attracted companies and entrepreneurs. Additionally, Texas has a highly skilled and diverse workforce, as well as a strong network of academic and research institutions.

3. How does Texas compare to other states in terms of scientific research and development?

Texas ranks among the top states in terms of research and development (R&D) spending. In 2019, the state spent over $25 billion on R&D, making it the 5th highest spender in the country. Texas also has a high number of patents and scientific publications, indicating a strong commitment to innovation and discovery.

4. Which cities in Texas are leading the way in science and technology?

Several cities in Texas are emerging as major centers for science and technology. Austin, for example, is known as the "Silicon Valley of the South" due to its thriving tech industry and startup scene. Houston is a leader in the biotechnology and healthcare sectors, while Dallas is a hub for telecommunications and cybersecurity companies.

5. What are some of the challenges facing Texas as it strives to become a top hub for science and technology?

Despite its rapid growth, Texas still faces some challenges in becoming a leading destination for science and technology. One major challenge is the need for increased investment in education and research, particularly in underrepresented communities. Additionally, the state's climate and natural disasters, such as hurricanes, can also pose challenges for certain industries. However, Texas is actively working to address these challenges and continue its growth in the science and technology sectors.