Exploring Career Options for Kids Who Love Both Physics and Art

In summary, there are many exciting career options that blend physics and art, such as being a science illustrator, designing museum displays, creating kinetic sculptures, doing scientific visualization, working in computer graphics or virtual reality, and even being a documentary producer or camera person. With a little creativity and exploration, the possibilities are endless for a kid wanting to combine these two fields.
Ms Music
Is there a way for a kid to blend physics and art into a career? She can't make up her mind which way to go, so I thought I would see if there are any suggestions out there that use both.

Physics news on Phys.org
Theo Jansen is a interesting hybrid of artist and engineer, and physics knowledge was surely relevant when designing his wind powered "Beach Beasts".

Last edited by a moderator:
robphy's suggestion of someone to design museum displays is a really good one I hadn't though of before.

There are also people who build kinetic sculptures. Not using a whole lot of physics, but a little bit to make sure one knows how to get things balanced and moving as intended.

Sometimes illustrators are needed for publications like textbooks (especially for primary and secondary school students where pretty pictures illustrating concepts can be more important and useful than lots of words or boring line diagrams like the college students need), or books intended for the lay reader.

some astronomers are glorified artists...
spend all their time picking appropriate colours for images of galaxies and such

Ms Music said:
Is there a way for a kid to blend physics and art into a career? She can't make up her mind which way to go, so I thought I would see if there are any suggestions out there that use both.

Is this individual just starting post-secondary schooling? There's no reason she can't at least start off doing both and invent a career later. There are plenty of physics majors out there with strange double majors and stranger hobbies. (But food for thought: you can't really study physics as a hobby.)

Moonbear said:
robphy's suggestion of someone to design museum displays is a really good one I hadn't though of before.

Sometimes illustrators are needed for publications like textbooks (especially for primary and secondary school students where pretty pictures illustrating concepts can be more important and useful than lots of words or boring line diagrams like the college students need), or books intended for the lay reader.

I was involved in a collaboration to setup a cosmology exhibit in the local museum. The collaboration got help from design students in terms of layout and graphic design. Of course, the scientists were there at each step to make sure that the science is properly emphasized.

Concerning illustration, I was at a conference where http://mgl.scripps.edu/people/goodsell/ displayed some of his efforts. In addition to educating scientists, I think scientific illustration and visualization also helps to sell science journals and magazines and to get folks to watch things like NOVA and other stuff on the Science channel. These look interesting: http://www.umass.edu/microbio/rasmol/history.htm http://vis.ncsa.uiuc.edu/?content=gallery

In addition, one might consider computer graphics, virtual-reality, and video-game design... where physics is playing a more important role in simulating reality (e.g. optical effects and lighting, how clothing hangs, how hair strands move, how birds flock, etc...). Robotics is another area.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are all great ideas! We will watch the videos and look at the links later.

And yes, she is only 13 so she has plenty of time. This is only for fun! Maybe it will give her some direction, maybe not. But it is always interesting to think of all the potential. She enjoyed hearing the ideas last night, and I am sure even more so today as there are many new ideas today!

Now there is something that *I* could get into! I love macrophotography, and have often wished I could get into micro and nano photography. Its awesome! She still hasn't been on the computer yet, but we will some day! Thanks again, I will let you guys know if she has questions or comments about them.

What about science illustrator? Science and art are my two fave things too.
She could illo complex concepts for textbooks and science journals.

Ms Music said:
These are all great ideas! We will watch the videos and look at the links later.

And yes, she is only 13 so she has plenty of time. This is only for fun! Maybe it will give her some direction, maybe not. But it is always interesting to think of all the potential. She enjoyed hearing the ideas last night, and I am sure even more so today as there are many new ideas today!

Hey, you never know, she may be inspired into a really fun career. It never hurts to know what options are out there.

Another idea that came to mind reading the other responses here...what about a documentary producer or camera person? I'm not sure what kind of art she likes, but if she's into photography or film making, that could be a fun career direction.

1. What career options are available for kids who love both physics and art?

There are several career options that combine physics and art, such as scientific illustration, medical illustration, animation, graphic design, and industrial design.

2. Can kids pursue a career in both physics and art simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to combine both physics and art in a career. Many fields such as animation and industrial design require knowledge of both disciplines.

3. What skills do kids need to have in order to pursue a career in both physics and art?

Kids who are interested in pursuing a career in both physics and art should have a strong understanding of math and science, as well as a creative and artistic mindset. They should also have good problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills.

4. Are there any specific educational paths that kids should follow to pursue a career in both physics and art?

There is no specific educational path for this type of career as it depends on the specific field or job. However, it is recommended that kids take courses in both physics and art during their education to develop a strong foundation in both disciplines.

5. What are some benefits of combining physics and art in a career?

Combining physics and art in a career allows for a unique and diverse skill set that can lead to a variety of job opportunities. It also allows for the use of both the left and right sides of the brain, leading to a more well-rounded and creative approach to problem-solving.