Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Science Club

1. Sep 6, 2004 #1
    I have been roped into running a science club for kids age 11-15. I would like to do loads of fun experiments with them, but I'm having a mental block. If anyone knows of any demos that might intrest this age group, please let know.

The topics are: Sound, Light, The Solar system, Forces, Electric circuits, Electromagnetism and Pressure.

Also if you know anything else that isn't these topics but is good science, I would really appreciate your help.

Thankyou

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2004 #2

Mk

You could make a speaker, that fits into all directly, except for light and the Solar system.

My well posted Peltier junction project.
    http://www.popsci.com/popsci/auto/article/0,12543,683524,00.html [Broken]

Liquid Nitrogen demos are loads of fun, lots of things you can do with those, and its cheaper than some think.

I've done hydrogen and oxygen production from water and a 2 9-volts in a parallel circuit. The class loved it.
    http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,12543,548213,00.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  4. Sep 6, 2004 #3
    Make a DC motor? use apparatus which makes the coil rotate at a ghostly rate, so that it adds a little mystery to it. EM induction would be a cool topic as well. Introduce them to magnetism, I think kids would be fascinated by that, tell them that electricity and magnetism is basically the same thing, teach them the electrical method of magnetization? I'm not a big fan of newtonian mechanics though. Can't think of ways where sound, light or forces is concerned.

5. Sep 7, 2004 #4

Mk

Ooooh, superconductivity. You can buy a kit for under $40. I also found a recipe somewhere for one if you want to make it. Ceremic, requires liquid nitrogen

6. Sep 7, 2004 #5
    We're a British school, budget = 0 and liquid nitrogen is out of the question (unless anyone knows how I can make it out of fresh air)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook