Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Science Club

1. Sep 6, 2004 #1
    I have been roped into running a science club for kids age 11-15. I would like to do loads of fun experiments with them, but I'm having a mental block. If anyone knows of any demos that might intrest this age group, please let know.

The topics are: Sound, Light, The Solar system, Forces, Electric circuits, Electromagnetism and Pressure.

Also if you know anything else that isn't these topics but is good science, I would really appreciate your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2004 #2

You could make a speaker, that fits into all directly, except for light and the Solar system.

My well posted Peltier junction project.

Liquid Nitrogen demos are loads of fun, lots of things you can do with those, and its cheaper than some think.

I've done hydrogen and oxygen production from water and a 2 9-volts in a parallel circuit. The class loved it.
  4. Sep 6, 2004 #3
    Make a DC motor? use apparatus which makes the coil rotate at a ghostly rate, so that it adds a little mystery to it. EM induction would be a cool topic as well. Introduce them to magnetism, I think kids would be fascinated by that, tell them that electricity and magnetism is basically the same thing, teach them the electrical method of magnetization? I'm not a big fan of newtonian mechanics though. Can't think of ways where sound, light or forces is concerned.
  5. Sep 7, 2004 #4

Ooooh, superconductivity. You can buy a kit for under $40. I also found a recipe somewhere for one if you want to make it. Ceremic, requires liquid nitrogen
  6. Sep 7, 2004 #5
    We're a British school, budget = 0 and liquid nitrogen is out of the question (unless anyone knows how I can make it out of fresh air)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?