Let's Get Creative with Science: Experiments for Kids Ages 11-15

In summary, the speaker, Peltier junction project, liquid nitrogen demos, and making a DC motor are all potential activities for a science club for kids age 11-15. Other suggestions include EM induction, magnetism, and superconductivity. The budget is limited, so liquid nitrogen may not be feasible.
colinr
I have been roped into running a science club for kids age 11-15. I would like to do loads of fun experiments with them, but I'm having a mental block. If anyone knows of any demos that might interest this age group, please let know.

The topics are: Sound, Light, The Solar system, Forces, Electric circuits, Electromagnetism and Pressure.

Also if you know anything else that isn't these topics but is good science, I would really appreciate your help.

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
colinr said:
I have been roped into running a science club for kids age 11-15. I would like to do loads of fun experiments with them, but I'm having a mental block. If anyone knows of any demos that might interest this age group, please let know.

The topics are: Sound, Light, The Solar system, Forces, Electric circuits, Electromagnetism and Pressure.

Also if you know anything else that isn't these topics but is good science, I would really appreciate your help.

Thankyou

You could make a speaker, that fits into all directly, except for light and the Solar system.

My well posted Peltier junction project.
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/auto/article/0,12543,683524,00.html

Liquid Nitrogen demos are loads of fun, lots of things you can do with those, and its cheaper than some think.

I've done hydrogen and oxygen production from water and a 2 9-volts in a parallel circuit. The class loved it.
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,12543,548213,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Make a DC motor? use apparatus which makes the coil rotate at a ghostly rate, so that it adds a little mystery to it. EM induction would be a cool topic as well. Introduce them to magnetism, I think kids would be fascinated by that, tell them that electricity and magnetism is basically the same thing, teach them the electrical method of magnetization? I'm not a big fan of Newtonian mechanics though. Can't think of ways where sound, light or forces is concerned.

Ooooh, superconductivity. You can buy a kit for under $40. I also found a recipe somewhere for one if you want to make it. Ceremic, requires liquid nitrogen

We're a British school, budget = 0 and liquid nitrogen is out of the question (unless anyone knows how I can make it out of fresh air)

1. What age range is this book appropriate for?

This book is designed for kids ages 11-15, but experiments can be modified for younger or older children with adult supervision.

2. Are the experiments safe for kids to do on their own?

While some experiments can be done independently, we recommend adult supervision for all experiments to ensure safety.

3. Do I need special equipment or materials for the experiments?

Most of the experiments can be done with materials commonly found at home or easily purchased at a grocery or craft store. Some experiments may require specific equipment, which will be listed in the materials section for each experiment.

4. Can the experiments be done multiple times?

Yes, most of the experiments can be repeated multiple times with different variables or modifications to see different results.

5. Are there explanations or lessons included with the experiments?

Each experiment includes a brief explanation of the scientific concepts behind it. There are also additional resources listed for further learning and exploration.