Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Science Fair Project.

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    Two containers are connected, divided by a selectively permeable membrane. The continer on the left contains pure water. The container on the right contains water and a negatively charged solute. The container on the right is angeled vertically so that when the water diffuses across the membrane the water level will rise. At the top of the container is a magnet which is also negatively charged. I am predicting that the magnet will filter the negative molecule out of the water as it rises. However, I suspect their will be an issue concerning entropy. Anyway, if all goes to plan the water that was purified by the magnet will leave the container through a spillway. The kinetic energy from the falling water will be harnesed by a wheel. After the energy is harnesed the water is redirected back into the the container with the pure water. Hypothetically this creates a constant flow of energy which is impossible. Whats wrong with this? Please critique and give some ideas on how to improve the experiment. My written explination may be hard to understand and I am going to try and insert a picture to help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

As you suspect, it is not possible for the perpetual motion machine to run. Yes, if you could post a sketch, that would help us point out the problem.

4. Sep 30, 2009 #3
    A picture would help. Also, you said a negatively charged magnet will filter out the negative molecules. Did you mean a positive magnet?

5. Sep 30, 2009 #4

Borek

What is a "negatively charged solute"?

--

6. Sep 30, 2009 #5
    How do I put a picture up?

7. Sep 30, 2009 #6

berkeman

If you have a picture on Photoshack or other hosting website, you can link to it here. Or you can attach PDF or JPG files in the Reply dialog page.

8. Sep 30, 2009 #7
    Quick question before I put my picture up. Is ferrofluid repelled by a magnet? If it is can it be mixed in water?

9. Oct 15, 2009 #8
    Forget that. Would water combined with solid bismouth cause pure water to pass through a selectively permeable membrane.

10. Nov 22, 2009 #9
    But energy is loss in the form of heat and sound. So no it won't create a constant flow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook