Science is used just for profit?

• Thread starter physicsuser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that many diseases can be cured with simple medicine, but drug companies only produce drugs that provide temporary relief. It is also suggested that corporations investing in these drug companies prevent any potential cures from being released. However, there is no evidence to support this claim and it is cautioned to not believe everything seen on TV or read in infomercials. Additionally, it is pointed out that drug companies do produce drugs that cure certain diseases, such as antibiotics. The conversation ends with a personal anecdote about a doctor prescribing a drug without examining the patient, which is deemed questionable.
physicsuser
I turned on the tv today and what I saw scared me. I don't know what program it was part of but it only ran for a minute or so. It said that many of current diseases are curable with simple medicine but drug companies only make drugs to give temporary relief. And corporation that invest into these drug companies make sure that no curable drugs are released. What scares me is that not so long ago I went to a doctor about my headache. Without examining me he prescribed a drug...

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsuser said:
I turned on the tv today and what I saw scared me. I don't know what program it was part of but it only ran for a minute or so. It said that many of current diseases are curable with simple medicine but drug companies only make drugs to give temporary relief. And corporation that invest into these drug companies make sure that no curable drugs are released. What scares me is that not so long ago I went to a doctor about my headache. Without examining me he prescribed a drug...

I doubt it. There are diseases known as "orphan diseases" which are researched little because of their inability to turn a substantial profit to recoup investment and perhaps to satisfy investors. I believe malaria is one of these diseases. Also there are "orphan diseases" that affect such a small percentage of the populace that little profit could be made in researching them.

Don't believe everything that you read (or hear). If there were miracle cures for these diseases, you can rest assured they couldn't be kept secret for long.

- Warren

I agree, there is most likely not a currently viable cure for those diseases you refer to, or it would be sold in one form or another.

This isn't to suggest pharmaceutical companies aren't giant, immoral entities that do more harm than good, I just don't think that is the reason.

maybe those headaches you have.. have caused you to 'see' what you saw on TV.. and in fact your head is really where its all happening :D

physicsuser said:

Syphillus, Gonnorea, plague, anthrax, many forms of Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, and Tubercullosis (in fact virtually all bacterial infections) are just a few of the things drugs can cure.

There are many drugs that are designed to treat symptoms - high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. Many of these are treating diseases which are more lifestyle induced - you cannot expect a drug to alter a lifestyle (at least not an legal drug).

These statements show a strong intent to mislead and to try and sell snake oil (IMO). They count on a lack of medical knowledge by the viewer. Don't trust them.

Glenn

Last edited:
Drug companies are just the tip of the iceberg,they would go bust with healtier population.

tumor said:
Drug companies are just the tip of the iceberg,they would go bust with healtier population.

So would doctors, dentists, health clubs, et. al. The idea that all disease would disappear if researchers were unfettered is absurd. High temp fusion researchers are unfettered, and I don't see my electric company running a fusion reactor.

You seem to imply that because they would go bust, they are controlling medical research, preventing cures from being found, etc. They do conduct some, but not most medical research. The researchers themselves can make their careers by finding cures to things like cancer, alzheimers, or any of a thousand other ailments. These motivations drive finding things that cure, and if not cure, treat.

Sure, I'd like the drug companies to provide drugs at a little above cost of production, but they have to recoup _all_ their costs or they go out of business. The research they do often produces no results, this research still cost money. When it does produce results, all the research has to be paid for or they are spending more money than producing.

Your arguments show no evidence, yet uses the same psycology as any grand-conspiracy theory. If you want to make an credible accusation, then produce some evidence.

physicsuser said:
I turned on the tv today and what I saw scared me. I don't know what program it was part of but it only ran for a minute or so. It said that many of current diseases are curable with simple medicine but drug companies only make drugs to give temporary relief.

Be wary of conspiracy theories. Be wary of TV science. Be wary of infomercials. Check sources & references for yourself.

Note that drug companies do make drugs (e.g., antibiotics) that cure some diseases.

And corporation that invest into these drug companies make sure that no curable drugs are released.

Ask yourself why the people working in these companies wouldn't want such drugs for themselves and their families? And wouldn't doctors complain about this?

What scares me is that not so long ago I went to a doctor about my headache. Without examining me he prescribed a drug...

That's odd, but we don't know the details of your situation. If you are concerned, try a different doctor and compare their opinions.

radagast said:
You seem to imply that because they would go bust, they are controlling medical research, preventing cures from being found, etc. They do conduct some, but not most medical research. The researchers themselves can make their careers by finding cures to things like cancer, alzheimers, or any of a thousand other ailments. These motivations drive finding things that cure, and if not cure, treat.

I am sure that they sign contracts before they get hired... so what ever the researchers produce they have no control over it since it belongs to the company that pays for reseach..

I just remembered from my last year's Natural Science course that when state medicine started to emerge in Europe the institutions arrested or prohibited every "medical" practices that were conducted without their approvals. So basically anyone who claimed that they had a herbal or any other "remedies" for diseases were arrested.

physicsuser said:
I just remembered from my last year's Natural Science course that when state medicine started to emerge in Europe the institutions arrested or prohibited every "medical" practices that were conducted without their approvals. So basically anyone who claimed that they had a herbal or any other "remedies" for diseases were arrested.

Interesting, but was this a case of an oppressive government or a protective one? (i.e., were these alternative medicine providers circumventing government-required safety precautions or engaging in false advertising?)

This is only true for Computer hardware companies..Not drug companies..

Then why there are more than one pill in the bottle? When I get a cold I pop some pills that say they give relief for 24 hours but I get no relief at all and still be sick for more than a week.

No one claims a cure for the cold.

As far as products working as advertised, I have to agree; many don't work as advertised. This is not limited to drug companies though. In my experience this is true for most products.

Nothing like a good urban legend. Funny how people like drug company executives and research directors die from the same diseases for which they have found a 'cure'. Talk about taking one for the team.

Chronos said:
Nothing like a good urban legend. Funny how people like drug company executives and research directors die from the same diseases for which they have found a 'cure'. Talk about taking one for the team.

Or maybe many diseases are non-lethal in most cases so as long as there is no threat from a disease to wipe out the whole population there is no need for a "cure". People do take chances with death for money.

Also, it seems that perhaps many "natural" i. e. non-patentable cures, simply can't afford the funding for clinical trials as little profit can be made from them to recoup costs and provide growth for investors.

They keep showing that program over and over again these days so I am wondering if any of you have seen it? This is the website of the host.
http://www.calcompnutrition.com/natural-cures-kevin-trudeau.html
Did anyone read it the book?

Because they don't have any preview of the book I think it a scam but at the same time they keep showing the program on tv so he must have some truth to it...

Last edited by a moderator:
physicsuser said:

hehe--you didn't hear this from Chris Rock, did you? :wink:

What is the role of science in profit-making industries?

The primary role of science in profit-making industries is to drive innovation and improve efficiency. Through research and development, scientific knowledge is applied to create new products and processes, ultimately resulting in increased profits for companies.

Is science being used solely for profit?

No, science has a broad range of applications and is not solely used for profit. While profit-making industries may use scientific knowledge to generate revenue, science is also used for non-profit purposes such as advancing healthcare, protecting the environment, and furthering our understanding of the world.

Are there any ethical concerns with using science for profit?

Yes, there can be ethical concerns with using science for profit. It is important for companies to consider the potential impacts of their products and processes on society and the environment. In addition, ethical considerations should also be taken into account when conducting scientific research.

How can science be used for both profit and social good?

Science can be used for both profit and social good by implementing responsible and sustainable practices. Companies can prioritize the well-being of society and the environment while still using scientific knowledge to drive innovation and generate profits.

What are some examples of companies using science for profit and social good?

One example is the pharmaceutical industry, which uses scientific research to develop life-saving medications while also generating profits. Another example is renewable energy companies, which use scientific knowledge to create sustainable energy sources and help combat climate change while also being profitable.