Science lovers, how do you score on this?

• Thread starter 27Thousand
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: The Autism Spectrum Quotient (AQ) has been developed to measure the degree to which anadult with normal intelligence has autistic traits. In this paper it is evaluated for its potential asa screening questionnaire in clinical settings. The test is designed to be sensitive...In summary, people who are analytical and into Science tend to score a certain way on the Autism Spectrum Quotient quiz. So it could be interesting to see how we all score!
20. I was hoping I'd score more.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the point of this quiz? To see how much like an autistic person you are? I'm pretty sure that autism is supposedly genetic so how does a 'normal' person taking this test and scoing say 26 have anything to do with autism. Who cares if certain actions or personality traits you exhibit are associated with autism...?

This doesn't mean your autistic or you even have any form of autism...

Sorry! said:
What's the point of this quiz? To see how much like an autistic person you are? I'm pretty sure that autism is supposedly genetic so how does a 'normal' person taking this test and scoing say 26 have anything to do with autism. Who cares if certain actions or personality traits you exhibit are associated with autism...?

: blinks audibly :

It is not obvious to you that it is a preliminary test for autism? If a subject scores above 33 he or his caregiver might consider getting him properly tested for ASD.

Sorry! said:

To add to Dave's comment I believe that part of the point (as far as it being posted here at least) is tracking corrolations between 'scientific thinking' and autistic behavior patterns. If you look at some of 27's earlier posts he has referenced statistics that show an interesting relationship.

@ Dave Lol, I don't see the correlation between a normal person taking this test and a potential autism candidate taking the test... Sure IF you are suspected to have autism then it could be a useful tool clearly since it has a low false-positive rate. (Successful up to 83% I believe)

TheStatutoryApe said:
To add to Dave's comment I believe that part of the point (as far as it being posted here at least) is tracking corrolations between 'scientific thinking' and autistic behavior patterns. If you look at some of 27's earlier posts he has referenced statistics that show an interesting relationship.

Hm I guess that's what I get for just skimming through the posts. All I saw was everyone posting their results. I was reading people saying things about different disease this test was indicative of that's what lead to my comment.

So the purpose of the test here is to show a correlation between scientific personalities and autisic personsonalities.

12 for me.

TheStatutoryApe said:
And maybe my anal retentiveness regarding the questions means my score is about right.

Never let it be said that your anal retentive attention to detail never yeilded positive results. (Can't be anal retentive if you don't have an anus!) :biggrin: lol

Kronos5253 said:
Never let it be said that your anal retentive attention to detail never yeilded positive results. (Can't be anal retentive if you don't have an anus!) :biggrin: lol

I can't help but be reminded of the old Playboy cartoon where the nurse is trying to write something on her pad with a thermometer, then says "Hey! Some ******* has my pencil." :biggrin:
You can fill in the asterisks with a word related to the quote.

Sorry! said:

The point of placing it in a Science forum? I just wanted to see if I could replicate some of the findings the peer-review study had with scientists. The average for scientists wasn't high enough to be in AS/HFA range, but there was a significant correlation with "overall" score. Just because you scored in the teens doesn't mean there aren't any general patterns. I wanted to test for myself, or critical thinking.

You're correct, a score doesn't mean you have autism. It doesn't say whether you have it or not, but rather is supposed to be a good brief screening assessment. Just a thought, common sense would tell us if it's a good brief screening assessment, then it should do a good job of telling the difference between those who have already been diagnosed and the general population, and if it doesn't meet this then it's not good. In

(S. Baron-Cohen, S. Wheelwright, R. Skinner, J. Martin and E. Clubley, (2001)
The Autism Spectrum Quotient (AQ) : Evidence from Asperger Syndrome/High Functioning Autism, Males and Females, Scientists and Mathematicians
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 31:5-17 http://autismresearchcentre.com/tests/aq_test.asp for PDFs of various peer-review studies)

the Asperger's/High Functioning Autism group's average was 36, and the general population 16. 80% of those with AS/HFA scored above 32, while only 2% of the general population did so. So in other words, it's not as good as the real deal, professionally diagnosed, but is quite good as a brief assessment. It also says in the peer review study that it doesn't matter how you score; it only says if you're above 32 and is causing impairment then you may want ask about diagnoses. 26 is a good cutoff for making sure most AS/HFA are included, although a few individuals score in the high teens (thus not as good as formal diagnosis, but as a brief screening assessment). They replicated the study in Japan, and the group averages for clinical and control groups were only 2 points off from this study! It's also been tested against those with OCD and social anxiety disorder, who have some correlation with the score, but not enough to be within autism-spectrum range.

How do you explain the results?

Sorry! said:
@ Dave Lol, I don't see the correlation between a normal person taking this test and a potential autism candidate taking the test... Sure IF you are suspected to have autism then it could be a useful tool clearly since it has a low false-positive rate. (Successful up to 83% I believe)

Hm I guess that's what I get for just skimming through the posts. All I saw was everyone posting their results. I was reading people saying things about different disease this test was indicative of that's what lead to my comment.

So the purpose of the test here is to show a correlation between scientific personalities and autisic personsonalities.

OK, now I'm confused again. Are you asking why this test was created, or why it was posted here?

I was answering why the test was created. A full test for autism would be ridiculous to perform on the general population. But provide a preliminary test that people can take at their whim or that doctors can assign, and you can locate more potential subjects much cheaper - even accounting for false positives.

Score: 10

I win.

Pinu7 said:
The average person scores a 16.
Only four PF users, thus far, have scored below average.
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2619/53899550.jpg
[/URL]

Makes you view in the mind's eye

Last edited by a moderator:
27Thousand said:
Makes you view in the mind's eye

What?

DaveC426913 said:
What?

Sorry, since "view in the mind's eye" can mean to form a mental concept, I was just hinting I found his visual helpful. I used the word conceptualize earlier, but someone accused me of using big words, so I have to adjust.

I don't like tests like these. Questions like "I prefer to do things alone rather than with others" need a response like "sometimes" or "depends on what I'm doing". "Things" encompasses a lot of different activities and some I'd rather do alone.

I scored an 11. The lower the better, right? It means I'm further away from being autistic?

25 for me, guess I'm an average PFer.

36 for me.

23, geez I can't seem to get away from this "below-average" label

leroyjenkens said:
I don't like tests like these. Questions like "I prefer to do things alone rather than with others" need a response like "sometimes" or "depends on what I'm doing". "Things" encompasses a lot of different activities and some I'd rather do alone.
Tests like this make sense to those to whom they are targeted; they will know exactly what that sentence means. If the question don't make sense to you, that's a clue that you're not the target.

leroyjenkens said:
I scored an 11. The lower the better, right? It means I'm further away from being autistic?
It means you're ADHD. It's a wonder you finished the test! :biggrin:

I scored a 34.

Score: 33

I got 33

I scored 15.

DaveC426913 said:
Tests like this make sense to those to whom they are targeted; they will know exactly what that sentence means. If the question don't make sense to you, that's a clue that you're not the target.

It means you're ADHD. It's a wonder you finished the test! :biggrin:

Well I didn't finish school, so it balances out.

25. I can say for certain I'm not autistic or aspberger's, because I've had a full neuropsych evaluation - since I do have ADHD.

On a similar test they use for that I had 64/72, median and mean was 16.

Don't think it had much to do with any science acumen, although it might've pushed me towards physics. Less rote memorization, which is something difficult to focus on. (OTOH I do actually have a good memory, which is why I actually managed in school. Low attention-high retention)

Score: 26

So I guess I don't have autism or asperger's... lol

I don't get why people are saying, "I scored low so I guess I'm not autistic." Just because you score high on some 5-minute test designed by some British psychologist doesn't mean you have a brain disease...

>> not a physicist

I'm not very social, but I have a "political" job

score: 14

Quincy said:
I don't get why people are saying, "I scored low so I guess I'm not autistic." Just because you score high on some 5-minute test designed by some British psychologist doesn't mean you have a brain disease...

You're right it doesn't mean, and typically they believe Asperger's/High Functioning Autism isn't a brain disease but rather a disorder (impairment in some area of life to the point professional help is needed. Also this test doesn't say one has it or not but rather traits associated with it, the key is if it's actually impairing one's life/human interactions. However something quite important to consider, you know how in the Scientific Method they have a control and experimental group? Well they've done the same thing with this AQ test in scientific peer-review journals, gave a control group (regular population) and an experimental group (those who have actually been diagnosed) and compared their means and standard deviations.

The general population averaged 16.4 and the Asperger/High Functioning Autistic group averaged 35.8. The standard deviation (or loosely an average deviation) for the general population was 6.3, and for AS/HFA group 6.5. 80% of AS/HFA scored above 32, however only 2% of the general population scored above that. Some food for thought, although it doesn't prove, it may be good reason for looking into a diagnosis if you score very high AND if you think you have social/other impairments. The reason I brought this to physicsforums was because Science majors scored slightly higher than the general population but not high enough to be in the AS/HFA range. So having a scientific mind I wanted to test it for myself (and found that this forum was a lot higher than the general population, even if mostly not high enough).

Reference: Scientific journal article which can be reviewed by other scientists

S. Baron-Cohen, S. Wheelwright, R. Skinner, J. Martin and E. Clubley, (2001)
The Autism Spectrum Quotient (AQ) : Evidence from Asperger Syndrome/High Functioning Autism, Males and Females, Scientists and Mathematicians
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 31:5-17

http://autismresearchcentre.com/tests/aq_test.asp for a link where you can get it in PDF format.

Other peer-review research articles from the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders and Brain Research can be viewed in PDF form that link also.

27Thousand said:
You're right it doesn't mean, and typically they believe Asperger's/High Functioning Autism isn't a brain disease but rather a disorder (impairment in some area of life to the point professional help is needed. Also this test doesn't say one has it or not but rather traits associated with it, the key is if it's actually impairing one's life/human interactions. However something quite important to consider, you know how in the Scientific Method they have a control and experimental group? Well they've done the same thing with this AQ test in scientific peer-review journals, gave a control group (regular population) and an experimental group (those who have actually been diagnosed) and compared their means and standard deviations.

The general population averaged 16.4 and the Asperger/High Functioning Autistic group averaged 35.8. The standard deviation (or loosely an average deviation) for the general population was 6.3, and for AS/HFA group 6.5. 80% of AS/HFA scored above 32, however only 2% of the general population scored above that. Some food for thought, although it doesn't prove, it may be good reason for looking into a diagnosis if you score very high AND if you think you have social/other impairments. The reason I brought this to physicsforums was because Science majors scored slightly higher than the general population but not high enough to be in the AS/HFA range. So having a scientific mind I wanted to test it for myself (and found that this forum was a lot higher than the general population, even if mostly not high enough).

Reference: Scientific journal article which can be reviewed by other scientists

S. Baron-Cohen, S. Wheelwright, R. Skinner, J. Martin and E. Clubley, (2001)
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 31:5-17

http://autismresearchcentre.com/tests/aq_test.asp for a link where you can get it in PDF format.

Other peer-review research articles from the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders and Brain Research can be viewed in PDF form that link also.

Well, if one scores high on this test, then most likely they are antisocial or shy, but being autistic is much more than just being socially impaired.

I can't recall anyone saying the test was a diagnosis. It is most likely designed to be an aid to diagnosisor to see whether referral for diagnosis would be beneficial.

I got 9

Mech_Engineer said:
I got 9

I think Mech_Engineer is a party animal :smile:.