Science & Marriage: Impact on Each Other

• Thread starter En_lizard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential challenges of scientists in relationships and the stereotypes associated with scientists. Some believe that scientists may have a harder time due to their demanding careers and intellectual differences, while others argue that scientists are just as normal as anyone else. The conversation also touches on the idea of scientists dating each other and the potential for passionate and unconventional relationships. However, the conversation ends with the reminder that stereotypes should not be applied to individuals and that scientists are a diverse group of people.
En_lizard
how do these two affect each other?
(i think science have a negative influence on marriage because most of scientists have trouble in getting along with other people. most of them are not sociable enough?:tongue2: )

Physics news on Phys.org
In my experience, the friction comes from one partner feeling inadequate in straightforward discussions (let alone full-on intellectual arguments). Bad stuff happens then. Sigh. Did I already mention the sigh part?

Well, when a girl scientist and a boy scientist like each other a lot, they try to impress one another with their intelectual prowess.

If their witty banter goes well they exchange tokens of their mutual affection (such as a calculator or a Schaum's outline).

If they stay together long enough, the boy scientist will eventualy realize that she is the only geek for him.

If she feels the same way, they get hitched, go on their lavish honeymoon to CERN, and nine months later they have little scientists.

THE END

from what i know, most of the time scientists don't agree with each other on some issues.(just go and check some of the posts in serious part of this forum). anyway if both of them would be scientist they might have not so much problems, but then poor their children.:cry:
but if a scientist want to date a normal person? a person who's not so interested in science? they can't get along well, can they?

En_lizard said:
...but if a scientist want to date a normal person?
Why would you ever want to date a normal person? :eek:

because 2 abnormal person is terrible!

What makes you think scientists aren't normal? :grumpy: Actually, the only difficulty I've seen with scientists having relationships is the same as anyone with a demanding career as a professional...the work hours never end, so it's tough finding someone who is willing to tolerate living with someone who isn't home very much. But, doctors and lawyers and corporate CEOs have the same types of problems.

Though, I do like melinda's version too. :rofl: Though, the scientist couples I know are hoping their kids don't become scientists...they're already grooming them to be rock stars or investment bankers so they'll earn a lot early in their career and then get to retire early. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
What makes you think scientists aren't normal? :grumpy: Actually, the only difficulty I've seen with scientists having relationships is the same as anyone with a demanding career as a professional...the work hours never end, so it's tough finding someone who is willing to tolerate living with someone who isn't home very much. But, doctors and lawyers and corporate CEOs have the same types of problems.
But scientists don't make money as much as lawyers and doctors, do they?:tongue2:

The scientists I've dated were too wild and crazy. :bugeye:

Scientists are passionate people. They tend not to get paid a lot and only exist in their current fields because they love what they do (heh).

Yeah, it can cause conflicts when a 'scientist' gets home from work and still/always will have work on the brain but most good people manage to find a balance. Theres less of the intelectual conflicts if the two scientists in question are in different fields since its easier to well, accept that your partner knows tonnes more than you do about his/her field. Plus its all about mutual respect for one-anothers genius and if you can't handle that then chances are you won't have any friends either. :biggrin:

Evo said:
The scientists I've dated were too wild and crazy. :bugeye:

Yeah, that's my problem. I'm too wild and crazy, and then when I meet someone, they don't believe me when I say I'm studying physics and engineering, I suppose dreadlocks don't give off an intellectual image. Kinda sucks. But then, I'd rather be wild and crazy and wait a bit longer for the right person than act normal and end up with someone normal. I need someone just as crazy as me.

Are there any statistics to show that "scientists" (who are they anyway?) have a harder time with relationships then "normal people" (Who are they anyway?).

I think this whole topic is BS.

The stereotypical nerd/geek scientist would obviously have trouble. But "scientist" is very broad, and vague, and the stereotype is not quite the same as your everyday scientist. A scientist would have just a hard time trying to understand the female species as anybody else.

I can see it now...

Scientist on scientist action! Free sample! Click here! FRee memborship with only credit card and social security number!

*melinda* said:
Well, when a girl scientist and a boy scientist like each other a lot, they try to impress one another with their intelectual prowess.
If their witty banter goes well they exchange tokens of their mutual affection (such as a calculator or a Schaum's outline).
If they stay together long enough, the boy scientist will eventualy realize that she is the only geek for him.
If she feels the same way, they get hitched, go on their lavish honeymoon to CERN, and nine months later they have little scientists.
THE END

*melinda* said:
Why would you ever want to date a normal person? :eek:

I'm gettin to like melinda... :biggrin: :wink: :devil: I got this calculator wristwatch for you, it even does square roots! And a diamond necklace, but I don't think you want it...

If scientists are anything like the scientists in training (university students) it would be more than reasonable to say they're all crazy, act like kids, and a large portion of them are on drugs. One of the guys in my class was rushing through a physical chemistry lab so he could "get home in time for ninja turtles". This was not some maladjusted kid either; he's 26, very popular, and goes on more dates than anybody else I know.
The women of science of just as weird. I would love to eventually get married to a scientist :biggrin:

Mk said:
The stereotypical nerd/geek scientist would obviously have trouble. But "scientist" is very broad, and vague, and the stereotype is not quite the same as your everyday scientist. A scientist would have just a hard time trying to understand the female species as anybody else.
So, it's only male scientists that are abnormal? :biggrin: :tongue:

Scientists are no different than anyone else when it comes to relationships. I don't really know why anyone thinks we would be.

Moonbear said:
Scientists are no different than anyone else when it comes to relationships. I don't really know why anyone thinks we would be.
It's probably because scientists (and engineers...) overanalyze everything. Can you imagine sleeping with someone who says "ok now arch your back about 5 degrees more" as he holds a t-square in his left hand? That would be pretty crazy but it doesnt' seem too big a jump from the weird scientists I've seen.

ShawnD said:
It's probably because scientists (and engineers...) overanalyze everything. Can you imagine sleeping with someone who says "ok now arch your back about 5 degrees more" as he holds a t-square in his left hand? That would be pretty crazy but it doesnt' seem too big a jump from the weird scientists I've seen.
Well, I don't know who you're hanging out with, but that sounds like a pretty extreme exaggeration. For the most part, if you were at a party with people from a variety of careers, I really doubt you'd be able to pick out the scientists in the crowd (unless there were several talking about science in a group).

1. How does science impact marriage?

The impact of science on marriage can vary depending on the specific areas of science being studied. However, some common impacts include a better understanding of relationship dynamics, improved communication strategies, and the development of technologies that can enhance the overall quality of marriage.

2. Can science help improve a troubled marriage?

Yes, science can provide valuable insights and strategies for improving troubled marriages. For example, research on conflict resolution and relationship satisfaction can inform couples on how to effectively communicate and address issues within their marriage.

3. What role does neuroscience play in marriage?

Neuroscience can offer valuable insights into the biological and physiological factors that influence marriage. For instance, studies have shown that certain hormones, such as oxytocin, can play a role in bonding and attachment in romantic relationships.

4. How does the study of genetics impact marriage?

The study of genetics can provide insight into the hereditary factors that may influence marriage, such as personality traits and behaviors. It can also help identify potential genetic risks for certain conditions that may impact a couple's relationship, such as mental health disorders.

5. Can scientific research predict the success of a marriage?

While there is no clear-cut formula for predicting the success of a marriage, scientific research can provide valuable insights into the factors that contribute to a healthy and happy relationship. This can include factors such as effective communication, mutual respect, and shared values and goals.