Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Science/maths jobs?

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    What are some science/maths jobs that recquires minimal direct people interaction?

Online tutoring would be one. Any others?

Maintaining online websites educating (primary/secondary) students about science would be another but how good is the pay from ads?
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you elaborate on this requirement?

Is it that you want to be (say) a telecommuter and work from home?
    Or is it that you don't want to be in the presence of [certain types of] people? Or as few people as possible?
    Or are you trying to be relatively-anonymous?
  4. Nov 19, 2007 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Online tutoring?

How much money is that going to get?
  5. Nov 19, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Requires good counting skills. Must be good at projectile motion calculations and possess the ability to apply those skills to a sling shot. Need a thorough knowledge of astronomy in order to determine which star to follow.

Minimal human interaction.

Decent chance for fame. There's been quite a few famous shepherds throughout history.
  6. Nov 19, 2007 #5
    All three. The latter with the second.
  7. Nov 19, 2007 #6
    Probably not much but also how to get the pay. Get it after or before the service. If after then they may not pay. If before then they might not trust you since it's online and not some official government backed service and so won't bother.
  8. Nov 19, 2007 #7
    I had an online tutoring business to teach people how to use their computers, but it failed.
  9. Nov 19, 2007 #8
    How come?
  10. Nov 19, 2007 #9
    Lack of customers. I spent a lot of money on banner ads, but to no avail.
  11. Nov 19, 2007 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

12. Nov 19, 2007 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, that works until your sheep wind up in the neighbor's garden. :biggrin: Though, more seriously, modern farming really does involve a lot of science and technology...everything from automated systems to track how much milk every individual cow is producing, to identifying animal diseases and knowing how to treat them. But, that also usually includes having to supervise farm hands.
  13. Nov 19, 2007 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

jimmysnyder just bought his one way ticket to the volcano.

Quite a few web based jobs can be done from home. The trouble is finding them and I have no clue where they are.
  14. Nov 19, 2007 #13
    Did you get them to pay after or before the service? If so why?
  15. Nov 19, 2007 #14

the more revisions i make, the less of an original thinker i become.
  16. Nov 19, 2007 #15
    I would tutor for 1 minute and they would e-mail me a dollar. Then another minute of tutoring and another dollar. That way neither of us had to trust the other all that much. And that was a good thing.
  17. Nov 19, 2007 #16
    Serious? What about transaction costs?
  18. Nov 19, 2007 #17
  19. Nov 19, 2007 #18
    Hahah, jimmysnyder's posts always crack me up
  20. Nov 19, 2007 #19
    Jobs in high finance: Big money seeks big brains
    City institutions are crying out for number-crunching PhDs. And paying them well, too, says Nick Jackson
    Published: 15 November 2007
    After grappling with the big questions of how the world works, quantitative PhDs – PhD graduates in the sciences, engineering, maths, and computing – can emerge blinking into the sunlight to face an even bigger question: what next?

Few people do a PhD for the money. And while an undergraduate degree on average boosts your income throughout your life by some 45 per cent, the hard slog of a doctorate earns an average student a less than 1 per cent income increase over their lifetime.

With only around one in 10 PhD graduates going into academia, many are left with a qualification that makes some employers wary of them, fearful that those impressive initials mean that PhDs will be unwilling to start at the bottom and work their way up. One place where that is not true, and that many PhDs overlook, is the City.

Quantitative PhDs are much in demand in the financial sector. Banking has become increasingly fast, furious, and complex in the 21 years since the City's Big Bang. And skills honed understanding the complexities of the universe are highly sought after to help to make sense of the subtleties of the market.

etc etc

I'm sure if PhDs are in such demand they could get more or less what they want.
  21. Nov 20, 2007 #20
    Yes, quite, and no, not really. Not necessarily in that order. E-mail me a dollar and I'll sort it out for you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?