Science/Math Jobs: Minimal People Interaction

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary: PhD. These can be high, with some employers expecting candidates to have not just a deep understanding of their research topic, but also the ability to communicate it convincingly.For many, the option of a career in academia – where the pay is typically better than in industry – is out of reach, though.Online tutoring?Maintaining online websites educating (primary/secondary) students about science?Jobs in high finance: Big money seeks big brains?City institutions are crying out for number-crunching PhDs?Few people do a PhD for the money?And while an undergraduate degree on average boosts your income
pivoxa15
What are some science/maths jobs that recquires minimal direct people interaction?

Online tutoring would be one. Any others?

Maintaining online websites educating (primary/secondary) students about science would be another but how good is the pay from ads?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pivoxa15 said:
What are some science/maths jobs that recquires minimal direct people interaction?

Can you elaborate on this requirement?

Is it that you want to be (say) a telecommuter and work from home?
Or is it that you don't want to be in the presence of [certain types of] people? Or as few people as possible?
Or are you trying to be relatively-anonymous?

Online tutoring?

How much money is that going to get?

Shepherd.

Requires good counting skills. Must be good at projectile motion calculations and possesses the ability to apply those skills to a sling shot. Need a thorough knowledge of astronomy in order to determine which star to follow.

Minimal human interaction.

Decent chance for fame. There's been quite a few famous shepherds throughout history.

robphy said:
Can you elaborate on this requirement?

Is it that you want to be (say) a telecommuter and work from home?
Or is it that you don't want to be in the presence of [certain types of] people? Or as few people as possible?
Or are you trying to be relatively-anonymous?

All three. The latter with the second.

JasonRox said:
Online tutoring?

How much money is that going to get?

Probably not much but also how to get the pay. Get it after or before the service. If after then they may not pay. If before then they might not trust you since it's online and not some official government backed service and so won't bother.

I had an online tutoring business to teach people how to use their computers, but it failed.

jimmysnyder said:
I had an online tutoring business to teach people how to use their computers, but it failed.

How come?

Lack of customers. I spent a lot of money on banner ads, but to no avail.

BobG said:
Shepherd.

Requires good counting skills. Must be good at projectile motion calculations and possesses the ability to apply those skills to a sling shot. Need a thorough knowledge of astronomy in order to determine which star to follow.

Minimal human interaction.

Decent chance for fame. There's been quite a few famous shepherds throughout history.

Well, that works until your sheep wind up in the neighbor's garden. :biggrin: Though, more seriously, modern farming really does involve a lot of science and technology...everything from automated systems to track how much milk every individual cow is producing, to identifying animal diseases and knowing how to treat them. But, that also usually includes having to supervise farm hands.

jimmysnyder just bought his one way ticket to the volcano.

Quite a few web based jobs can be done from home. The trouble is finding them and I have no clue where they are.

jimmysnyder said:
Lack of customers. I spent a lot of money on banner ads, but to no avail.

Did you get them to pay after or before the service? If so why?

jimmysnyder said:

lol

the more revisions i make, the less of an original thinker i become.

pivoxa15 said:
Did you get them to pay after or before the service? If so why?
I would tutor for 1 minute and they would e-mail me a dollar. Then another minute of tutoring and another dollar. That way neither of us had to trust the other all that much. And that was a good thing.

jimmysnyder said:
I would tutor for 1 minute and they would e-mail me a dollar. Then another minute of tutoring and another dollar. That way neither of us had to trust the other all that much. And that was a good thing.

Serious? What about transaction costs?

robphy said:
Distance learning... e.g. University of Pheonix??
Author of a bestselling [text]book.
Inventor.
Consultant.

http://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome

What do you mean?

Hahah, jimmysnyder's posts always crack me up

pivoxa15 said:

Online tutoring would be one. Any others?

Maintaining online websites educating (primary/secondary) students about science would be another but how good is the pay from ads?

Jobs in high finance: Big money seeks big brains
City institutions are crying out for number-crunching PhDs. And paying them well, too, says Nick Jackson
Published: 15 November 2007
After grappling with the big questions of how the world works, quantitative PhDs – PhD graduates in the sciences, engineering, maths, and computing – can emerge blinking into the sunlight to face an even bigger question: what next?

Few people do a PhD for the money. And while an undergraduate degree on average boosts your income throughout your life by some 45 per cent, the hard slog of a doctorate earns an average student a less than 1 per cent income increase over their lifetime.

With only around one in 10 PhD graduates going into academia, many are left with a qualification that makes some employers wary of them, fearful that those impressive initials mean that PhDs will be unwilling to start at the bottom and work their way up. One place where that is not true, and that many PhDs overlook, is the City.

Quantitative PhDs are much in demand in the financial sector. Banking has become increasingly fast, furious, and complex in the 21 years since the City's Big Bang. And skills honed understanding the complexities of the universe are highly sought after to help to make sense of the subtleties of the market.

etc etc

http://student.independent.co.uk/graduate_options/article3158694.ece

I'm sure if PhDs are in such demand they could get more or less what they want.

Last edited by a moderator:
pivoxa15 said:
Serious? What about transaction costs?
Yes, quite, and no, not really. Not necessarily in that order. E-mail me a dollar and I'll sort it out for you.

Plastic Photon said:
the more revisions i make, the less of an original thinker i become.
Originallity gets tougher every year. Last night I came up with a couple of zingers only to find out that they were not original:

Ventriloquism for dummies
Self-esteem for dummies

both already taken, sigh. If you have a PhD, then my hat's off to you. I went ABD in math and had started on my thesis. My professor told me it was both good and original. But the parts that were good were not original and the parts that were original were not good. I never got the degree.

jimmysnyder said:
Originallity gets tougher every year. Last night I came up with a couple of zingers only to find out that they were not original:

Ventriloquism for dummies
Self-esteem for dummies

both already taken, sigh. If you have a PhD, then my hat's off to you. I went ABD in math and had started on my thesis. My professor told me it was both good and original. But the parts that were good were not original and the parts that were original were not good. I never got the degree.
It must've been tough studying math under Samuel Johnson! :wink:

morphism said:
I've been exploded! I told you originality was tough. The real reason I gave up on my thesis is that I had a result that was original but not good. I expected my professor to say "That's good little Jimmy, but not good enough". Instead he said, "That's good, but there's not enough of it". The thought of producing a hundred pages of such drivel didn't excite me. A previous student of his then proved a result that subsumed mine. I went to the professor and asked him why he allowed me to work on a problem that this fellow was working on. He said, not to worry, my approach was different and that's all that counts. That was the last straw and I gave up on it.

morphism said:

You should try Samuel Adams.

morphism said:

You should try Samuel Adams. You could study all night long, wake up and still not remember a damn thing.

jimmysnyder said:
Yes, quite, and no, not really. Not necessarily in that order. E-mail me a dollar and I'll sort it out for you.

How do I email you a dollar?

pivoxa15 said:
How do I email you a dollar?
Oh, for crying out loud! I'll lend you a dollar so you can get some lessons!

Geez, some people are so helpless. :rolleyes:

Sign My Dollar and Pass it On!
http://www.signmydollar.com/index.php/2007/11/21/BobG/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

What types of jobs fall under the category of "Science/Math Jobs: Minimal People Interaction"?

Some examples of jobs that fall under this category include research scientists, data analysts, mathematicians, statisticians, and laboratory technicians.

What are the primary skills required for these types of jobs?

The most important skills for these types of jobs include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, proficiency in relevant software and programming languages, and the ability to work independently.

What education or training is typically required for these types of jobs?

Most science/math jobs with minimal people interaction require at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as mathematics, computer science, or statistics. However, some positions may require a master's or doctoral degree.

What are some common industries or fields that offer these types of jobs?

Science/math jobs with minimal people interaction can be found in a variety of industries and fields, including technology, healthcare, government, academia, and research institutions.

What is the job outlook for these types of positions?

The job outlook for science/math jobs with minimal people interaction is generally positive, as these fields are constantly growing and evolving. With advancements in technology and data analysis, there is a high demand for professionals with these skills, making it a promising career path for those interested in science and math.