Science Of Hallucinating

• Medical
  • Thread starter Nuklear
  • Start date
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Even if we're talking about visual and auditory hallucinations in a person who is shut off from all light and sound stimulation, say in a sensory deprivation tank, I'm still certain the experience is a result of the normal visual and auditory neural systems functioning abnormally for whatever reason. There is not some "not normally used" separate brain area dedicated to hallucinations. But if you find any research that makes a different claim, and it's from a credible source, please do share.:smile:

My education is in physics, but I read this book called "The Minds of Men and Machines" that explained the architecture of the brain in terms of a computer. It basically said there's three types of brain function (input, computation, output). Equivalently (sensory, cognitive, muscles) I think.

Anyway, in these terms (If I have the theory right here) is hallucination a malfunction in sensory (input) or cognitive (computation) or both? Or do different types occur in different functions?

You may have answered this, but I don't understand a lot of the biological terms.

i think we need to clarify retinally produced images from those further downstream. The interesting thing about schizophrenia where people commonly experience auditory hallucinations, a rare event is a visual hallucination, the ilness affects the entire brain, but there is a combination of frontal lobe dysfunction (judgement, planning, etc) and relative overdrive from the temporal cortices, which among other things process auditory input. Whats more remarkable is that evoked cortical potentials--say a click in headphones or flash on a screen, show far less filtering. In other words if you heard two clicks spaced a few hundred millisec apart, the second is like a no-brainer. It registers but at a relatvely small amplitude, The brain is first and foremost a differential engine. But in the mind of a schizpprenis, that function is lost.