Science of Interstellar: Is it Worth Reading?

In summary: They think that the film's creators are trying to sell a false sense of security by making it seem like we can rely on those from the future.In summary, Kip Thorne's book discusses the people who met to bring the film and book into being, and the beginning of the discussion of science. He makes a mistake in referring to the black hole event horizon as an "explosion", and it is unclear how he justifies the planet retaining an atmosphere and liquid water in an extremely hot environment. If you are looking for a more in-depth explanation of the science presented in the book, I would recommend reading other books written by K
DaveC426913
Gold Member
(Please feel free to move if I've picked the wrong forum.)

I bought and started reading Kip Thorne's book.

Chapter 1 is all about the people who met to bring the film and book into being.
Chapter 2 is the beginning of the discussion of science.

On page 1 (one) of this first (first) science chapter, Kip tells us that "...the universe was born in a gigantic explosion..."

An explosion....Should I bother to read on?

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Should I bother to read on?

I would ignore the "explosion" mistake/oversimplification and carry on. I'm quite curious as to how he justifies:

1. The planet on the edge of the black hole event horizon having tidal waves although it should be tidally locked.
2. The same planet retains an atmosphere and liquid water eventhough this environment should be bathed in Xrays at millions Kelvin.

I get that if the black hole is about 10^8 solar masses Kerr black hole you can have a planet that's close enough to experience the extreme time dilation shown in the film and at the same time have a stable orbit (orbits beyond the ISCO) and not being tidally disrupted. However, I'm puzzled as to why it's not tidally locked and how it retains an atmosphere and liquid water in this extremely hot environment.

I would read on, at least a little while longer. This could just be pandering, as it might turn off some readers (and be a bit boring) to go through why the big bang isn't an explosion, plus its not catchy.

If he continues to make mistakes like this, it shouldn't take too long to find out.

I haven't read The Science of Interstellar, but I have read one or two other books* by Kip Thorne, which were worth reading.

He is a famed and accomplished physicist. So there's that. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. [Edit: In terms of continuing the book. Not necessarily the "explosion" part.]

*(Now I can't find the book or books. 'Probably around here somewhere. I couldn't have hallucinated reading a Kip Thorne book, could I? Hmm.)

Likes ulianjay
The book is written for a lay audience so I think it's fine to use. It might not be precisely correct but it's close enough for a popular understanding.

After watching the film, coming from a science idiot (me), they brushed too much under the carpet with the 4th and 5th dimension, time distortion angle.

If everyone on Earth was facing imminent doom, NASA wouldn't have had the time to discover how to make a wormhole in the first place, let alone make one that points to a galaxy that might have habitable planets. They'd have to make it there first before time was rendered irreverent.

skyshrimp said:
After watching the film, coming from a science idiot (me), they brushed too much under the carpet with the 4th and 5th dimension, time distortion angle.
Yes, they had to. They had a lot to cover, and did not pander to the audience.

skyshrimp said:
If everyone on Earth was facing imminent doom, NASA wouldn't have had the time to discover how to make a wormhole in the first place, let alone make one that points to a galaxy that might have habitable planets. They'd have to make it there first before time was rendered irreverent.
I think there's a misunderstanding here. NASA did not make the wormhole, and certainly not in the present day of the movie. The wormhole was made by what seemed to be mysterious, powerful entities (which we know are actually humans, from way far in the future).

And I think you mean irrelevant. ;)

(which we know are actually humans, from way far in the future)

There can't be any humans from way far in the future as life on Earth was facing extinction at the said present time. Now we are floating around in the obscure ideology of made up, alternative dimensions. The film can't make sense. One can only enjoy it if they entertain this silliness.

You'll survive after falling into a black hole (if you eject from your ship that's being shredded by space debris) and it let's you see the people you love awhile being able to interact with them from past events? Apparently it then sends you safely home.

How cheesy and nauseating.

skyshrimp said:
There can't be any humans from way far in the future as life on Earth was facing extinction at the said present time.
That's your assertion. OK, you don't agree with the film.

skyshrimp said:
Now we are floating around in the obscure ideology of made up, alternative dimensions. The film can't make sense. One can only enjoy it if they entertain this silliness.

You'll survive after falling into a black hole (if you eject from your ship that's being shredded by space debris) and it let's you see the people you love awhile being able to interact with them from past events? Apparently it then sends you safely home.

How cheesy and nauseating.
Most people who object to the film have been coming up with fairly well-crafted objections that are challenging to refute.

OK. You thought it was silly and cheesy. Noted. Not much more to say really.

We've had way too many threads explaining how bad the movie is. This is about the book. Please only post about the book.

Likes DaveC426913

1. What is the "Science of Interstellar" book about?

The "Science of Interstellar" book is about the science behind the blockbuster film "Interstellar". It delves into the scientific concepts and theories used in the movie, such as time dilation and wormholes, and explains them in an easy-to-understand way.

2. Is the "Science of Interstellar" book based on real science?

Yes, the "Science of Interstellar" book is based on real science. The author, Dr. Kip Thorne, is a renowned theoretical physicist who served as a scientific consultant for the film. The book explores real scientific concepts and theories that have been extensively researched and studied.

3. Do I need to have watched the movie before reading the book?

No, you do not need to have watched the movie before reading the book. While the book does reference scenes and concepts from the film, it also provides explanations and context for those who have not seen the movie. However, watching the movie may enhance your understanding and enjoyment of the book.

4. Is the "Science of Interstellar" book suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, the "Science of Interstellar" book is suitable for non-scientists. While it does cover complex scientific concepts, it presents them in a way that is accessible and easy to understand for readers without a scientific background. The book also includes helpful illustrations and diagrams to aid in understanding.

5. Is the "Science of Interstellar" book worth reading?

That ultimately depends on your interests. If you are a fan of the movie and enjoy learning about science, then the "Science of Interstellar" book is definitely worth reading. It offers a fascinating look at the real science behind the film and may even inspire you to delve deeper into the subject. However, if science is not your cup of tea, you may not find the book as enjoyable.