SCIENCE or DOGMA

• Thread starter Ikonoclast
  • Start date
russ_watters
Mentor
Ikonoclast said:
however I can't mention it by name for obvious reasons
Do you see the obvious irony here? Claiming a bias/flaw in scientists not following the scientific method, then refusing to follow it yourself. Classic, classic conspiracy theory.

What you have is an inability or unwillingness to accept reality at face value. I'm sorry, but that's not something we are equipped to help you with here.

jcsd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
energia said:
the most power accelerator in the world is CERN in Switzerland

which is capable of 14 TeV and more

CERN isn't an accelrator, it has sevral has sevral acelrators

Here's a list of the worlds particle accelartor's, including in most case their energies:

http://laacg1.lanl.gov/laacg/acclist/accdbs.html#S [Broken]

here they are sorted by location:

http://www-elsa.physik.uni-bonn.de/Informationen/accelerator_list.html

The highest energy accelartor at CERN is 500 Gev - 1 TeV, the new collider which will be capable of 14 TeV (i've even heard as high as 30 TeV) isn't operational yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we've found Ikonoclast's source anyway
it has to be CERN

it's the only european facility capable of 1 TeV

russ_watters said:
Do you see the obvious irony here? Claiming a bias/flaw in scientists not following the scientific method, then refusing to follow it yourself. Classic, classic conspiracy theory.

What you have is an inability or unwillingness to accept reality at face value. I'm sorry, but that's not something we are equipped to help you with here.

or maybe he's unwilling to post his source because it might cost someone his job
or worse

energia said:
or maybe he's unwilling to post his source because it might cost someone his job
or worse

Is the sort of person who would fire you for carrying out good science likely to get a high position in an academic institution?

I asked my friend (who is a particle physicist) what he would do if he got data telling him c had been exceeded and his immediate reaction was:

"check the calibrations!"

Wouldn't this be a better explanation for the immediate fixing/removal of this sort of data?

Matt

The laws of thermodynamics apply to everything, there are no exceptions (well, except on a microscakle, but this merely reflects the statisical nature of the laws).

Why not on a microscale?

russ_watters
Mentor
Imparcticle said:
Why not on a microscale?
On the microscale, quantum uncertainty breaks the symmetry for brief periods of time.
I think we've found Ikonoclast's source anyway...
That's not a source, thats a research facility. Ikonoclast has provided nothing but allegations.

The problem with a discovery of something sensational like lightspeed excess from mass particles in an accelerator experiment is the mission of the experiment. The experiment is probably not about exceeding lightspeed but about something else. The effort is always a team effort with different goals. Making a fuss about lightspeed excess would distract attention and delay completion and publication. In other words, other people would be affected. I would expect that the raw data would be saved and the surprise event would remain uncommented. At a later time someone could reference it and perhaps make a case, when the experiment is already documented history.

---

There was an experiment around 1964 that did a lightspeed measure on backward-directed gamma rays from pion decays in an accelerator. I wish experiments like this would get updated, repeated and re-reported from time to time. The conclusion was that the speed of the gammas was unaffected by the high speed in the opposite direction of the center of mass of the pions.

Oh, Here it is-
Alvaeger F.J.M. Farley, J. Kjellman and I Wallin, Physics Letters 12, 260 (1964).
Measured the speed of gamma rays from the decay of fast pi0 (~0.99975 c) to be c with a resolution of 400 parts per million.

Ikonoclast has provided nothing but allegations.

"I resent the allegation and I resent the allegator."

— From the Amos 'n' Andy
classic 1950's television series

at least this topic has succeeded in making an issue of accountablilty
as well as unleashing a gassy stinkbomb :yuck:

Last edited: