1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Science Or Engineering

1. Jul 26, 2013 #1
    hello guys , i currently live in egypt , and i believe i will also be getting my college education in egypt * i am also a british citizen *
    the thing is , science here isn't really .. well promising
    i loved science since i was a child , always loved physics and atoms seemed to amuse me the most
    but if i do scientific degree in physics , i will be EXACTLY like someone who majored in alien linguistics , there is 0.00000001% i will find aliens , and when i do , there is another 0.0000001 % i will be the one to work with them , but thats not really the problem , i have always thought if i work hard enough i can be that 0.000001% , but my main problem is that i want to invent things , i like inventions and making theories
    is there any type of engineering where i can study atoms or particles ? maybe electronic engineering ? i heard i can do a phd in quantum mechanics if i study electric engineering
    any suggestions ?
    * note i am in my last year of my highscool *

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2013 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure how things are in Egypt, but in the US it's much easier to get a job with a bachelor's in Engineering. Engineering really is applied physics -- there is a lot of overlap between the two disciplines.

4. Jul 26, 2013 #3
    so what kind of engineering would be close to the atomic level , aside from nuclear engineering

5. Jul 26, 2013 #4
    Semiconductor physics is also very much at the atomic level and there are very large chip fab houses looking for people who know this stuff well.

There are also solar energy research firms building better and better solar cells. Fabricating those is not a trivial thing either.

Think about it. You may want to consider such engineering applications from research, but there are many other options...

6. Jul 28, 2013 #5
    Chemical Engineering deals with chemical reactions that take place in the electron cloud. I'd say probably material science because of nano technologies and of course there is nuclear engineering

7. Jul 28, 2013 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Yes, material science and engineering, and even condensed matter physics is involved at the atomic level.

These days, there is a lot of research in molecular dynamics (MD) and density field/functional theory (DFT) with application in numerous engineering disciplines.

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~ntg/talks/furnstahl_oslo_2008.pdf

8. Jul 28, 2013 #7
    Along with chemical, nuclear, material science, and stuff people have said I also think nano electronics is a cool engineering field. It's trying to build electronic systems at the smallest scale possible like molecule by molecule. It could really improve a bunch of computers and just seem really slick. I don't know almost anything about engineering but it sounds cool.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook