Science or Engineering: A British Student in Egypt

In summary, the speaker is a British citizen living in Egypt and considering studying engineering to pursue their love for science and invention. They are specifically interested in studying at the atomic level and are exploring options such as semiconductor physics, solar energy, chemical engineering, material science, and nano electronics. They are open to suggestions for other engineering fields that would allow them to work with atoms and particles.
B4ssHunter
hello guys , i currently live in egypt , and i believe i will also be getting my college education in egypt * i am also a british citizen *
the thing is , science here isn't really .. well promising
i loved science since i was a child , always loved physics and atoms seemed to amuse me the most
but if i do scientific degree in physics , i will be EXACTLY like someone who majored in alien linguistics , there is 0.00000001% i will find aliens , and when i do , there is another 0.0000001 % i will be the one to work with them , but that's not really the problem , i have always thought if i work hard enough i can be that 0.000001% , but my main problem is that i want to invent things , i like inventions and making theories
is there any type of engineering where i can study atoms or particles ? maybe electronic engineering ? i heard i can do a phd in quantum mechanics if i study electric engineering
any suggestions ?
* note i am in my last year of my highscool *

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how things are in Egypt, but in the US it's much easier to get a job with a bachelor's in Engineering. Engineering really is applied physics -- there is a lot of overlap between the two disciplines.

so what kind of engineering would be close to the atomic level , aside from nuclear engineering

Semiconductor physics is also very much at the atomic level and there are very large chip fab houses looking for people who know this stuff well.

There are also solar energy research firms building better and better solar cells. Fabricating those is not a trivial thing either.

Think about it. You may want to consider such engineering applications from research, but there are many other options...

B4ssHunter said:
so what kind of engineering would be close to the atomic level , aside from nuclear engineering

Chemical Engineering deals with chemical reactions that take place in the electron cloud. I'd say probably material science because of nano technologies and of course there is nuclear engineering

B4ssHunter said:

caldweab said:
Chemical Engineering deals with chemical reactions that take place in the electron cloud. I'd say probably material science because of nano technologies and of course there is nuclear engineering
Yes, material science and engineering, and even condensed matter physics is involved at the atomic level.

These days, there is a lot of research in molecular dynamics (MD) and density field/functional theory (DFT) with application in numerous engineering disciplines.

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~ntg/talks/furnstahl_oslo_2008.pdf

Along with chemical, nuclear, material science, and stuff people have said I also think nano electronics is a cool engineering field. It's trying to build electronic systems at the smallest scale possible like molecule by molecule. It could really improve a bunch of computers and just seem really slick. I don't know almost anything about engineering but it sounds cool.

1. What inspired you to study science or engineering in Egypt?

As a British student, I have always been fascinated by different cultures and wanted to experience studying in a foreign country. Egypt, with its rich history and impressive advancements in science and engineering, seemed like the perfect place to pursue my academic interests.

2. How does the education system in Egypt compare to that of the UK?

The education system in Egypt is quite different from that of the UK. In Egypt, there is a strong emphasis on rote learning and memorization, while in the UK, there is more focus on critical thinking and practical application of knowledge. Additionally, the class sizes in Egypt are generally larger and there is less access to modern technology and resources.

3. What challenges did you face as a British student studying science or engineering in Egypt?

One of the biggest challenges I faced was the language barrier. Although I had some knowledge of Arabic, it was still difficult to fully understand lectures and communicate with my peers. Another challenge was adjusting to the different teaching styles and approaches to learning in Egypt.

4. How did studying in Egypt enhance your understanding of science or engineering?

Studying in Egypt gave me a unique perspective on science and engineering. I was able to see how these subjects are applied in a different cultural and societal context, which broadened my understanding and allowed me to think more critically about their global impact.

5. How did you adapt to the cultural differences in Egypt?

Adapting to the cultural differences in Egypt was a learning process, but I found it to be an enriching experience. I made an effort to immerse myself in the culture, learn the language, and build relationships with my classmates. This not only helped me adjust to the new environment but also allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of the culture and its influence on science and engineering.