Chemical Engineering at Uni A: Which Option is Better?

In summary, the person is considering two options for studying chemical engineering at a specific university, uni A, which is the only one in their location offering the program. The first option is to major in chemistry at uni A and transfer to chem eng after one year, while the second option is to study mechanical engineering at another university, uni B, and then transfer to chem eng at uni A after one year. Both options have similar costs and the person's parents prefer the prestige of uni A. However, the person has decided to do a BSc first year and then transfer to a dual major in BScChem/BEChem. The question of their initial ineligibility for the program and how either option will help them become eligible is raised
Cpt Qwark
I wanted to do chemical engineering at a particular uni but was ineligible to enter any of the engineering programs (lets call this uni A). I have 2 options since that uni A is the only uni in my location which offers chem eng.
1) Major in chemistry at uni A and take similar units as chem eng and then transfer after one year. Or do BE & Bsc
2) Another option is to take mechanical engineering at another uni (uni B) then transfer after one year to chem eng at uni A after one year (or even dual major in BEMech and BSc chem and transfer to take extra credit to uni A?).
Which option would be better? I know my parents probably want me to go to uni A since they're slightly caught up in its prestige factor, but uni B is a technical uni with brand new facilities. (costs are the same for both unis since they're regulated by the government)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know that either option is necessarily better. Both seem reasonable based on what you've written.

The question of *why* you were ineligible for the program you wanted comes to mind though. If you're not eleigble now, what will make you eligible later? And does either path facilitate that better than the other?

Choppy said:
I don't know that either option is necessarily better. Both seem reasonable based on what you've written.

The question of *why* you were ineligible for the program you wanted comes to mind though. If you're not eleigble now, what will make you eligible later? And does either path facilitate that better than the other?

Nvm I've decided to do BSc first year then transfer to BScChem/BEChem.

1. What is the difference between the Chemical Engineering options at Uni A?

The main difference between the Chemical Engineering options at Uni A is the focus of the curriculum. Option A focuses on traditional chemical engineering principles and applications, while Option B places a greater emphasis on environmental sustainability and renewable energy sources.

2. Which option is more suitable for a career in the pharmaceutical industry?

Option B may be more suitable for a career in the pharmaceutical industry as it covers topics such as biotechnology and drug delivery systems, which are highly relevant in this field.

3. Can I switch between the two options during my studies?

Yes, it is possible to switch between the two options during your studies at Uni A. However, it is important to consult with your academic advisor and carefully plan your course schedule to ensure a smooth transition.

4. Are there any research opportunities available for students in both options?

Yes, both options offer research opportunities for students to work with faculty members on various projects. These opportunities can provide valuable hands-on experience and may also lead to publications and conference presentations.

5. Do both options lead to the same job opportunities after graduation?

Both options can lead to similar job opportunities in the chemical engineering field. However, Option B may give graduates an advantage in industries that prioritize sustainable practices and renewable energy sources.