Is the Pursuit of Truth a Journey or a Destination?

• Thread starter scix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: I see many people juggling the same theories, philosophies and concepts in different ways with slight variations, is it all relative to our situations/lives?There is no right or wrong way to do anything, as long as you are happy with the outcome.
scix
What is the right path? Science,spirituality or is it both?

Is 'truth' an actual end or simply a persuit to keep our minds from bordom?

Most of us have been on a lifelong persuit of something, some goal, some knowledge or understanding. Are our persuits in vain? Will we ever get to a point where we are content?

More importantly, why do we fight and quarrel over our views? Science, Religion, Countless philosophies to try to explain the same world, the same emotions and the same lives lived in different ways, at different times under different circumstances.

"If you knew what you knew could save us, would you try to?"
-Unknown

"All history is one immortal man who continually learns."
-Pascal

What is more important.. Knowledge of/about life, the beyond, ourselves, or life it'self?

Society has always been a limiting factor for those interested in knowledge.
As they say, knowing too much is not always a good thing. How do you balance your persuit of knowledge and the insane bordom that is everyday life?

I see many people juggling the same theories, philosophies and concepts in different ways with slight variations, is it all relative to our situations/lives?

Where does this great need to understand that which we seem incapable of knowing come from? Where will it take us? Will any of it make life easier, or just complicate it more?

For every answer to a question there are an infinite number of questions raised, so is it possible for there to be "A", "Truth"?

Hi, What is your name.. How are you doing today?

Physics news on Phys.org
my name? that i can answer :P , and today is probably going to suck...cant be certain but

will we ever get to a point where we are content? that depends on the question. How to fix a car has a definite, finite answer, chances are you will get satisfied by a how-to-book. What is the meaning of life?, that has many possible answers that can not really be proven, so chances are you can not be content.

Are are attempts in vain? hmmmm...depends on your defintion of in vain. i figure that if it makes you resonable happy for the amount of time you put into it, it isn't in vain. but u have to make up your mind about that one.

society isn't always/wasn't always a limiting factor, you just see a "bad" section of it. I am sure if you considered this a soceity you would find that we enjoy learning.

why do we fight about our view? bcuz the other guy is OBVIOUSLY WRONG and it would be the nice thing to do to correct him! j/k, my idea goes like this:

1) religion makse ppl feel better
2)other ppls religions make them not feel better, mayeb because they are forced to question their religion
3)ppl don't like to feel bad, and get mad

For every answer to a question there are an infinite number of questions raised, so is it possible for there to be "A", "Truth"?

you can ask me twenty million questions about the color of the sky, but it will always be blue. so yes, there are truths.

my humble opinions :

scix said:
What is the right path? Science,spirituality or is it both?
There is no "right path" for all, you must choose what suits you best.

scix said:
Is 'truth' an actual end or simply a persuit to keep our minds from bordom?
are you bored scix? with respect, that is such a pity, perhaps you need to get out more, have more interests?

scix said:
Most of us have been on a lifelong persuit of something, some goal, some knowledge or understanding. Are our persuits in vain? Will we ever get to a point where we are content?
yes, it's called 42. To be more serious - what you are asking is "is there any purpose to life?". My advice : Be prepared for the answer "no". But that does not mean life must be boring.

scix said:
More importantly, why do we fight and quarrel over our views? Science, Religion, Countless philosophies to try to explain the same world, the same emotions and the same lives lived in different ways, at different times under different circumstances.
It takes two to fight. There is no obligation to fight or quarrel, you could choose to simply accept others' opinions without fighting.

scix said:
"If you knew what you knew could save us, would you try to?"
-Unknown
save us? from what?

scix said:
"All history is one immortal man who continually learns."
-Pascal
and there is no end to learning... but so what?

scix said:
What is more important.. Knowledge of/about life, the beyond, ourselves, or life it'self?
in the final analysis, nothing is important unless you make it important to yourself

scix said:
Society has always been a limiting factor for those interested in knowledge.
As they say, knowing too much is not always a good thing. How do you balance your persuit of knowledge and the insane bordom that is everyday life?
who is "they"?
that boredom thing again. wish i had the time to get bored!

scix said:
I see many people juggling the same theories, philosophies and concepts in different ways with slight variations, is it all relative to our situations/lives?
everything is relative

scix said:
Where does this great need to understand that which we seem incapable of knowing come from? Where will it take us? Will any of it make life easier, or just complicate it more?
humans are driven by a need to question, to understand. maybe that is what keeps most of us from getting bored.

scix said:
it is possible for there to exist "a truth", but it is not ever possible to know when we have arrived at the truth. There is always room for doubt.

scix said:
Hi, What is your name.. How are you doing today?
fine thanks

MF

What is the relationship between science and spirituality?

The relationship between science and spirituality is a complex and debated topic. Some believe that science and spirituality are completely separate and unrelated, while others argue that they can coexist and complement each other. Science deals with the physical and observable world, while spirituality focuses on the non-physical and subjective aspects of life. Ultimately, the relationship between science and spirituality is a personal belief and perspective.

Can science and spirituality be studied together?

Yes, science and spirituality can be studied together through the field of transpersonal psychology. This interdisciplinary field combines scientific methods with spiritual practices to explore the connection between mind, body, and spirit. Transpersonal psychology also examines mystical experiences and altered states of consciousness from a scientific perspective.

Is there scientific evidence for spiritual beliefs?

While there is no concrete scientific evidence for spiritual beliefs, there is ongoing research in the field of parapsychology that explores phenomena such as near-death experiences, telepathy, and reincarnation. Some scientists also argue that certain spiritual practices, like meditation, have been shown to have physical and psychological benefits, providing some evidence for their effectiveness.

Can science explain everything about the world?

No, science cannot explain everything about the world. While science has made incredible advancements in understanding the physical world, there are still many mysteries and questions that remain unanswered. Spirituality, on the other hand, deals with the intangible and subjective aspects of life that cannot be fully explained by science.

Do science and spirituality contradict each other?

Science and spirituality can sometimes seem to contradict each other, but this is often due to a misunderstanding of both. Science relies on empirical evidence and logical reasoning, while spirituality is based on personal experiences and beliefs. They can coexist and complement each other, as long as one does not try to explain or discredit the other.