Exploring Political Science Minor: Advice Welcome!

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of science policy and possible classes to take related to this field. The discussion also touches on the usefulness of understanding comparative politics and how our congressional system works. One person also mentions the potential for Math Phd's to hold positions in this field and suggests taking an economics class for a better understanding.
RRiley99
Howdy y'all,
I posted a ways back about an interest in science policy, concerning internships.

Now I'm more or less asking about possible classes to take. I am in the process of a political science minor and I need a few classes to take and I'd prefer them to be useful or interesting. If anyone here has to deal with our governmental system, is there anything you find especially useful to know? Say comparative politics, or how our congressional system works. If you just spit out ideas, I can try to link them to a possible class.

Expecting few replies, haha,
Robert

Physics news on Phys.org
I am pretty interested in this as well. Though I am just finishing up my first year of undergrad myself. I am curious if Math Phd's ever get these positions as well :P Anyways, sorry I could not help, but I did take a economics class and found this to be very useful when trying to understand how a government takes control of that aspect, might be useful for you as well? Who knows, good luck!

1. What is a political science minor?

A political science minor is an academic program that focuses on the study of political systems, institutions, and processes. It provides students with a basic understanding of how governments operate and how policies are developed and implemented.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a political science minor?

A political science minor can provide students with a well-rounded education by complementing their major with a background in politics and government. It can also enhance critical thinking, research, and communication skills, which are highly valuable in many career paths.

3. How does a political science minor differ from a major?

A political science minor is a smaller and more focused program compared to a major. It requires fewer courses and typically does not cover the same breadth and depth of topics as a major. However, it still provides students with a solid foundation in political science.

4. What kind of courses can I expect to take in a political science minor?

The courses offered in a political science minor may vary depending on the university, but they often cover topics such as political theory, international relations, comparative politics, and public policy. Some programs may also offer opportunities for internships or research projects.

5. Can I pursue a career in politics with a political science minor?

Yes, a political science minor can be a valuable asset for those interested in a career in politics. It provides a strong understanding of the political landscape and can open up opportunities in fields such as government, law, public policy, and international relations.