How to Prove F=ma Using Kick Dis

In summary, the person is trying to find a procedure to prove how F=ma. They need to find a way of measuring accelaration, find a known force to give it a push, and do several trials to minimise errors.
sabre13

Homework Statement

Ok...Hopefully someone can help me here...

I have to make up a procedure to prove how F=ma using a Kick Dis(http://www.smarthome.com/9563.html)
We need to list materials and write a decent procedure

Homework Equations

Kick Dis is 7.5" in diameter
Kick Dis weighs 1.8 lbs

The Attempt at a Solution

Im kind of confused about the whole thing to tell you guys the truth...

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a way to measure accelaration - a few lines painted on the floor and a stop watch should do.
You know the mass
You need to find a way of giving it a push with a known force - hint ever seen fishing/spring scales

would it work if I just kicked the Kick dis with my foot or would it be absolutely nessicary to use a spring scale?

If you know how much force you apply with your foot!

You could do a demonstration by kicking 2pucks of them fixed together with the same force as you kick one and then seeing what effect doubling the mass has?

You could make an atificial kick that applied the same force. Something like a weighted rod that could pivot at the top and swing down kicking the puck. As long as you raised it to the same height each time it would have the same kick.

ok..ok

Now for the procedure, would I just say to measure the acceleration and mass and then multiply them together to find the force?

Make sure that in your procedure you do several trials and take averages.

Mention something about minimising errors - how would you do this?

ok thanks

im guessing they want us to find the mass manually, not by using the internet, so do you think I could use a triple beam balance for that?

If you are just trying to prove F=ma you don't need the mass or the force as long as you can keep one constant and vary the other, you will prove the relationship.
If you knew the force you could find the mass from the accelaration by using F = ma but since you are trying to prove it that gets a bit circular.

1. How does kicking an object demonstrate F=ma?

Kicking an object involves applying a force (F) to the object, causing it to accelerate (a). This acceleration is measured by the distance the object travels after being kicked. According to Newton's Second Law, F=ma, so the force applied is directly proportional to the mass (m) of the object and its resulting acceleration.

2. Can this method be used to prove F=ma for any object?

Yes, as long as the object is able to be kicked and can experience acceleration, this method can be used to demonstrate F=ma. However, it may not be the most accurate or precise method for all objects.

3. Is there a specific way to kick the object in order to prove F=ma?

No, there is no specific way to kick the object. As long as a force is applied and the object accelerates, the relationship between F and ma can be demonstrated. However, it is important to try to minimize external forces, such as air resistance, to obtain more accurate results.

4. How is the mass of the object determined in this experiment?

The mass of the object can be determined by measuring its weight, or by using a scale. It is important to use the mass of the object at rest, as the mass may change if it is moving or accelerating.

5. Can F=ma be proven using other methods besides kick dis?

Yes, F=ma can be proven using various other methods, such as using a pulley system or measuring the force and acceleration of an object using instruments. The method of kick dis is just one way to demonstrate this relationship in a simple and tangible way.