Science question: need some help

• Thread starter Cowkilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation discusses the possible outcome of someone jumping into a hole drilled through the Earth. It is noted that if all limiting factors are ignored, the jumper will continue to oscillate between the north and south poles due to gravity and eventually slow down due to air friction.
Cowkilla
Science question: need some help!

I have a question that's been bugging me for ages:

If someone were to drill a hole through the Earth and jump into it. Let say the tunnel spans from the North to South, and we ignore the limiting factors, such as the extreme heat and the hole won't collapse and there is sufficient oxygen, what will happen?

I remember reading it from the Popular Science magazine (June 2005) and I really need to know what will happen, because I forgot the answer and why! Will the guy just pass through the tunnel and end up on the other side, or will he go through the tunnel and stop at the center of the Earth as a result of gravity? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without friction or other "limiting factors" the jumper will have acquired rather significant momentum by the time he reaches the center of the Earth and will simply keep on going.

He will display damped simple harmonic motion. He will oscillate between the north pole and south pole, gradually slowing down due to air friction and so on.

- Warren

Unless someone is waiting at the south pole to catch him, of course...

What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to conducting and analyzing experiments in order to gain knowledge and understanding about the natural world. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

Why is peer review important in scientific research?

Peer review is important in scientific research because it allows for the evaluation and validation of research by other experts in the field. This helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of scientific findings before they are published and shared with the wider community.

What is the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is an educated guess or proposed explanation for a phenomenon, while a theory is a well-supported and widely accepted explanation that has been extensively tested and confirmed through multiple experiments and observations.

How does science impact our daily lives?

Science impacts our daily lives in many ways, from the technology we use to the food we eat. It helps us understand the natural world and make informed decisions about our health, environment, and society. It also drives innovation and progress in various industries and fields.

What ethical considerations should be taken into account in scientific research?

Ethical considerations in scientific research include ensuring the safety and well-being of human and animal subjects, obtaining informed consent, maintaining confidentiality, and avoiding conflicts of interest. It is also important to consider the potential impacts of research on society and the environment.