Science says get off your butt!

1. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I considered posting this in biology, but think this needs broader dissemination, having appeared in Science and all. I've been saying this for years, but never realized I could get published in Science for it! :eek: I'm seriously questioning the quality of that journal to consider this cutting edge research. (No, this isn't a joke.)

Science, Vol 307, Issue 5709, 584-586 , 28 January 2005
    Full article: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/307/5709/584

So, there you have it, according to Science, lean people don't sit on their butt as much as obese people. I'm sure you're all relieved to know it's no longer idle speculation, and the official results are in. :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. ARE YOU SAYING I'M FAT???:cry:

4. Only on tuesdays.

Oh....

5. Evo

Staff: Mentor

It says I don't have access to the article. :grumpy:

Slaps herself on the forehead. And to think all these years I thought that consuming more calories than I burn was the way to lose weight!!! Thank goodness for this article!!! :biggrin:

6. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

groan. Besides, that's only next Tuesday, right? Am I on the right week here?

7. I'm still running on Monday as far as i'm concerned.

8. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry Evo. Pretty much every library carries Science, so if you really want to read the whole article, it'll be pretty easy to get your hands on a copy. I read it, thinking there surely must be something more technical about it, some metabolism measurements, etc. But, nope, you can pretty much get the gist from the abstract.

I want to know which or how many of the authors slept with the editor to get that one through. Or was it that one of them knows the editor slept with his best friend's wife? Or.... Okay, maybe now I'm just guessing. :rofl:

9. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, right, it's not a new day if you don't go to sleep. Does this help you stay younger?

10. Burned out a week before ash wednesday, I think I am begining to understand the sisterhood!

I was thinking about giving up lint, will that be kosher? :rofl:

11. No, you live half as many days, so technically you age twice as fast.

12. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's okay, I was going to give up giving up stuff for Lent. :biggrin: OUCH!!! Dang, that cross really burns sometimes, even through the asbestos habit. I think the demon possession thread is under control, so I'm going to get out of this thing.

13. I saw a news report on (CNN?MSNBC?) that covered this story, but they said that fidgety people burned 350 more calories. What do you want to bet an overweight person put the fidgety spin on the article.

14. wanna earn some beads?

15. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The brief summary they put in their perspectives section (the few pages that are written so the lay public has a hope of understanding some of what's being written about) mentioned both sitting less and being fidgety. I do think they go together. If I'm not walking around or standing, I'm rarely sitting still. I have to be REALLY sick to sit perfectly still, and that would only be because the room is moving around me.

16. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:devil: I have my shirt up in the picture; too bad the camera didn't catch anything below my neck. :rofl:

17. Here, you can have my lint!
    *empties pocket into diskdrive*

Get out of your thong!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :tongue2: WOOOOO WEEEEEEEE, fat tuesday has started early!! Throw in some beeds there tribdog! :biggrin: :tongue2: :rofl: :biggrin:

18. what if I tilt my monitor forward so I can see down below the edge?

19. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe in a full week of partying for Mardi Gras. I'm just warming up today, trying on the masks, trying to get my hair to stop looking so flat (those habits really do give me terrible hat hair), and selecting the week's worth of lingerie.

20. you're too hyper for me. I'm still recovering from last night. I'm old, neutered and hung-over. If you yell wooo weee in my ear one more time I might shoot you....waiiiiit...thong? WOOOOOOO WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

21. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just doing my civic duty and keeping you guys from sitting still too long. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?