Introducing Hawking & Susskind: An Academic Tale

In summary, Feinmann introduced Hawking to Susskind. Erhard was originally a car salesman and was hosting a conference at which the two scientists met. They discussed biology and Haldane's findings that God has an inordinate fondness for insects. Close but not the right answer was that Erhard said moth larvae.
MGB got it. You can't get malaria if you have sickle-cell anemia.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've done one - I think it's Gokul's turn.

This mostly B-film actor obtained a masters degree in chemical engineering from the University of Sydney and won a fullbright scholarship to MIT, but quit two weeks later to pursue an acting career. Who is he?

Hugh Jackman :biggrin: :uhh:

Nice guess, but it appears to not be the answer. In checking this out, I happened upon the correct answer ...and it sure as hell surprised me (mostly because he's from what's pretty close to the antipode to Sydney).

mgb said:
I've done one - I think it's Gokul's turn.
It doesn't matter if you've gone before. If you have the answer, it's your turn to go next.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Nice guess, but it appears to not be the answer. In checking this out, I happened upon the correct answer ...and it sure as hell surprised me (mostly because he's from what's pretty close to the antipode to Sydney).

From the types of roles he has had in film you would have never guessed that he is incredibly smart. I almost fell of my chair when I found those facts out about him.

gravenewworld said:
From the types of roles he has had in film you would have never guessed that he is incredibly smart. I almost fell of my chair when I found those facts out about him.
I did think he was full of chemicals though...particularly, one or more of those multiring lipids.

Haven't of him before. Would he have been better off with the scholarship? :rolleyes: