What was that PBS show with the guy in a body suit teaching about organs?

• Thread starter FrancisZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation revolved around nostalgic memories of PBS shows from the past. The participants discussed shows like "Eureka!", "321 Contact", and "In the News". They also tried to remember the name of a show where a man dressed in a body suit would teach about organ systems, which was later identified as "Slim Goodbody". The conversation also touched on the influence of shows like "Julius Sumner Miller" in shaping interests and career paths.
FrancisZ
I am so happy right now, because I just remembered something that I literally haven't thought of in about 24 years...

"Eureka!" the TV show that used to be on Channel 13 PBS (WNET in New York anyway).

I looked it up and there it is on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by-7kkAu2Pg

God I used to love that crazy song. And then it got me to wondering about a bunch of other shows I used to watch on PBS (this was pretty much before I went to school, and also early grammar school).

There was 321 Contact...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2-LEBc2sO8

I'm a sucker for cheesy songs, I know.

Anyway...I have a question for you. And it's hard.

There once was this other show which I cannot recall the name of; though it was one of my favorites at that time.

Essentially, there was this guy on PBS dressed in a body suit, literally painted with organs all over it. And he would spend each episode tell viewers about the various organ systems. This was exactly where I had first learned about vertebrae, I'll never forget it. The guy had a man-fro of some sort to, as I recall (kind of a hippie show).

Thing of it is though: I just can't remember the name of it. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just getting blank panels for your examples.
Couldn't help you anyhow, though; I never got cable until 4 years ago.

edit: Never mind; the links are up now.

Danger said:
I'm just getting blank panels for your examples.
Couldn't help you anyhow, though; I never got cable until 4 years ago.

edit: Never mind; the links are up now.

PBS isn't cable. I didn't get cable until just before 9/11 myself, either.

I'm in Canada. PBS is available only on cable up here. :frown:

FrancisZ said:
There once was this other show which I cannot recall the name of; though it was one of my favorites at that time.

Essentially, there was this guy on PBS dressed in a body suit, literally painted with organs all over it. And he would spend each episode tell viewers about the various organ systems. This was exactly where I had first learned about vertebrae, I'll never forget it. The guy had a man-fro of some sort to, as I recall (kind of a hippie show).

Do you remember approximately what year it was on. I do recall seeing something like that but didn't have any luck finding it. I would think there is a list of old pbs programs somewhere.

I always like "In the News".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qAM6YU3N1g

FrancisZ said:

Slim Goodbody (I am the google queen).

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_tvshows/1920-mr-slim-goodbody/

Ivan Seeking said:
What words did you enter for the search?

Just curious
tv show body organs suit

Julius Sumner Miller is the reason I'm in physics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCcZyW-6-5o

I remember Slim Goodbody... but his white-guy fro was scary, while Julius' do somehow made the cut. Maybe being dressed in real clothes helped Julius out too.

1. What is the name of the PBS show with the guy in a body suit teaching about organs?

The show is called "The Body Electric."

2. Who is the guy in the body suit on "The Body Electric" PBS show?

The host of the show is Dr. Bill Nye, a scientist and educator.

3. What is the format of "The Body Electric" show on PBS?

The show features a mixture of live-action and animated segments to teach about different organs and body systems.

4. Is "The Body Electric" still airing on PBS?

No, the show ended in 2000 after four seasons, but it can still be viewed on various streaming platforms.

5. What age group is "The Body Electric" PBS show suitable for?

The show is geared towards children and teenagers, but can also be enjoyed by adults interested in learning about the human body.