Science vs Policy: US Government's Role in Making Decisions

• News
  • Thread starter SixNein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the United States government has been trying to define the role of science in policy making for years. But in recent decades, there has been a large push to separate science and policy making. Instead of creating policy based upon the best scientific evidence, the government is moving toward creating policy then find any supporting scientific evidence, and any inconvenient scientific evidence is either ignored or smeared as pseudoscience. This approach has led to some problems, such as the suppression of inconvenient scientific information and the manipulation of government information to favor certain policies.
SixNein
Gold Member
The United States government has been trying to define the role of science in policy making for years. But in recent decades, there has been a large push to separate science and policy making. Instead of creating policy based upon the best scientific evidence, the government is moving toward creating policy then find any supporting scientific evidence, and any inconvenient scientific evidence is either ignored or smeared as pseudoscience.

So I have a few questions:

Do you believe the American government is taking a more anti-science position?

Do you agree or disagree with the government's position? Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
The government has positions on dozens of science-related issues. Which one are you asking about?

SixNein said:
The United States government has been trying to define the role of science in policy making for years. But in recent decades, there has been a large push to separate science and policy making. Instead of creating policy based upon the best scientific evidence, the government is moving toward creating policy then find any supporting scientific evidence, and any inconvenient scientific evidence is either ignored or smeared as pseudoscience.
Please post valid sources for this.

Thanks!

SixNein said:
Instead of creating policy based upon the best scientific evidence, the government is moving toward creating policy then find any supporting scientific evidence, and any inconvenient scientific evidence is either ignored or smeared as pseudoscience.
Yes, this is how it's done. If science supports a policy decision, then the science is cited. If it doesn't, then the science is ignored or discrecredited. The public at large couldn't care less.

SixNein said:
So I have a few questions:

Do you believe the American government is taking a more anti-science position?
Not necessarily. Policy has nothing to do with science. It has everything to do with maintaining a stable environment (the status quo) for those who have a lot to lose.

SixNein said:
Do you agree or disagree with the government's position? Why?
Well, I'm not rich, so of course I disagree with the government's position. But, if I were rich, then I would agree with the government's position.

ThomasT said:
Well, I'm not rich, so of course I disagree with the government's position. But, if I were rich, then I would agree with the government's position.

This is a very simplistic and cynical approach to take. I don't think you would find many people who would agree with the government's position on anything/everything if and only if they are rich

Evo said:
Please post valid sources for this.

Thanks!

I think this is common knowledge. Global warming? Evolution? Collapsing biodiversity? The list goes on and on.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v439/n7079/full/439896a.html
http://www.aaas.org/programs/centers/pe/media/20080506_times_picayune.pdf[/URL]
[URL]http://defendingscience.org/newsroom/Scientists-in-Government-Report.cfm[/URL]

There has been some progress with obama at least in words, but we will just have to wait and see if these words develop into actions.

Last edited by a moderator:
ThomasT said:
Policy has nothing to do with science.

So you don't think policy should be based upon science because science is a waste of time for policy makers to consider?

What if you are rich, but the government is supporting your opposition?

Gokul43201 said:
The government has positions on dozens of science-related issues. Which one are you asking about?

I'm not talking about any specific issue; instead, I'm talking about the overall mood of the government. Sure, scientists may have a few allies in government, but the group of allies seems to be thin when it comes time for policy making to occur.

Here is an example, mercury levels:

"Instead, senior Bush officials suppressed and sought to manipulate government information about mercury contained in an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) report on children's health and the environment. As the EPA readied the report for completion in May 2002, the White House Office of Management and Budget and the Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) began a lengthy review of the document. In February 2003, after nine months of delay by the White House, a frustrated EPA official leaked the draft report to the Wall Street Journal, including its finding that eight percent of women between the ages of 16 and 49 have mercury levels in the blood that could lead to reduced IQ and motor skills in their offspring."

http://www.ucsusa.org/scientific_integrity/abuses_of_science/mercury-emissions.html

Last edited:
SixNein said:
So you don't think policy should be based upon science because science is a waste of time for policy makers to consider?
I'd like it if policy was based on science.

SixNein said:
What if you are rich, but the government is supporting your opposition?
Then I suppose I'd have to spend some of my riches to get them to support me instead.

Office_Shredder said:
This is a very simplistic and cynical approach to take.
Yes, it is.

Office_Shredder said:
I don't think you would find many people who would agree with the government's position on anything/everything if and only if they are rich
I agree. Being rich isn't a prerequisite for agreeing with the government's position.

ThomasT said:
Well, I'm not rich, so of course I disagree with the government's position.
NOT(rich) => NOT(agreement)

Therefore, agreement => rich (i.e., if you are in agreement, you have to be rich)

ThomasT said:
Being rich isn't a prerequisite for agreeing with the government's position.
Contradiction. You've just stated above that it is a pre-requisite.

1. What is the relationship between science and policy in the US government?

The relationship between science and policy in the US government is complex and constantly evolving. In general, policy decisions are informed by scientific research and data, but they are ultimately shaped by political considerations and values. Scientists may provide expertise and recommendations, but it is ultimately up to policymakers to weigh different factors and make decisions.

2. How does the US government use scientific information in making policy decisions?

The US government uses scientific information in a variety of ways to inform policy decisions. This can include commissioning research studies, consulting with scientific experts, and reviewing existing research and data. However, it is important to note that scientific information is just one factor among many that influences policy decisions.

3. What challenges do scientists face in influencing policy decisions?

There are several challenges that scientists may face in influencing policy decisions. These include communicating complex scientific information in a way that is easily understandable to policymakers, navigating political considerations and priorities, and dealing with potential conflicts of interest. Additionally, the timeline for policy decisions may not align with the pace of scientific research, making it difficult for scientists to provide timely and relevant information.

4. How can scientists and policymakers work together effectively?

Effective collaboration between scientists and policymakers is crucial in making informed and evidence-based policy decisions. Scientists can work to communicate their research findings clearly and concisely to policymakers, while also understanding the political landscape and priorities. Policymakers can also seek out and consult with a diverse group of scientific experts to ensure a well-informed decision-making process.

5. What is the role of public opinion in shaping science and policy decisions?

Public opinion can play a significant role in shaping both science and policy decisions. Public support or opposition to a particular scientific issue or policy can influence the priorities and actions of policymakers. At the same time, public perception of scientific research can also impact funding and support for different areas of research. It is important for scientists and policymakers to consider public opinion while also remaining objective and guided by scientific evidence.