Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientific american

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    Hi all,
    I want ask about any magazine related to Math? like scientific american magazine.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So, if I understand you correctly, what you wish to know is:
    whether there exists a magazine, with the intended audience of educated laymen, that reviews and presents in popular (but scientifically justifiable) form results from the current research areas in mathematics?

4. Dec 13, 2008 #3
    I'm so sorry sir I write scientific american magazine for just for example maybe i like it. anyway i'm so sorry

5. Dec 13, 2008 #4
    I'm so sorry sir I write scientific american magazine just for example may be i like it. anyway i'm so sorry

6. Dec 13, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, we understood that Scientific American was just an example (and not a very good example- relatively little mathematics in it). There are many magazines devoted entirely to mathematics. "The Transactions of the American Mathematical Society" is very technical. "Mathematics Magazine" published by the Mathematics Association of America focuses on "four year college mathematics" but can be very deep. The "Mathematical Intelligencer" has articles about mathematics and mathematicians. Many universities also publish their own mathematics journals but they tend to be focused on specific areas of high-level mathematics.

Unfortunately, we can't know exactly what YOU are looking for.

7. Dec 13, 2008 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Why should you be sorry?

Your inquiry was a perfectly good one!

I also like Scientific American!

S.A is a journal intended for a lay audience, so I thought you might be after a similar publication within maths.

In particular, Scientific American tries to keep up-to-date with current fields of research, so I thought that you likewise was interested in a journal devoted to current topics of maths.

In order to ascertain if that was what you were after, I asked you my question.

It was not in any way meant to disparage you, or voice an irritation over you.

Now, if I had known about such a journal, I would definitely have subscribed to it!

HallsofIvy have given you a few good leads, sorry that I can't be of more help.

8. Dec 13, 2008 #7
    ok,thank you hallsofivy
    In fact i ask for magazine in math filed generally like Scientific American which is generally magazine in science filed but i'm Interested in cryptology filed and security algorithm like RSA if you know :
    1 st-General magazine in math
    2 nd-Magazine in cryptology from mathmatics vision

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?