How to Use Negative Exponents on a Scientific Calculator

In summary, the conversation is about using a scientific calculator to solve an equation involving negative exponents. The calculator being used is a Texas Instruments TI-30x IIS model, which does not have a Change Sign button. The button labelled (-) is suggested as a possible solution, but the person asking for help is still unsure how to use it correctly. They are referred to the calculator's manual for further assistance.
krimsondane

Homework Statement

PV = PMT *1-(1+i)^-n / i
PV = 225 * 1- (1+.0055)^-42 / .005
PV = 8417.37

How did they get this. how do you use a negative exponent on a scientific calculator.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry for not using ? How did they get this? How do you use a negative exponent on a scientific calculator?

Does your calculator have a Change Sign button? They are sometimes marked +/-.

Mark44 said:
Does your calculator have a Change Sign button? They are sometimes marked +/-.

No it does not I have a texas instruments TI-30x IIS model scientific calculator with 2 lines

krimsondane said:

Homework Statement

PV = PMT *1-(1+i)^-n / i
PV = 225 * 1- (1+.0055)^-42 / .005
PV = 8417.37

How did they get this. how do you use a negative exponent on a scientific calculator. I have a calculator, just don't know how to use it correctly.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

thx alot

1. Why is my scientific calculator giving me incorrect results?

There could be a few reasons for this. Firstly, check that you have entered the correct numbers and operations in the correct order. If you are using parentheses, make sure they are in the correct place. Also, make sure you are using the correct mode for your calculations, such as degrees or radians. Another possibility is that your calculator may need new batteries or is malfunctioning.

2. How do I switch between degrees and radians on my scientific calculator?

This will depend on the specific model of your calculator. Some models have a dedicated button for switching between degrees and radians, while others may require you to access a menu or use a key combination. Refer to your calculator's manual for specific instructions.

3. Can I use my scientific calculator for complex numbers?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a complex number mode that allows you to perform calculations with real and imaginary numbers. You may need to access this mode through a menu or key combination. Again, refer to your calculator's manual for specific instructions.

4. How do I graph equations on my scientific calculator?

Not all scientific calculators have graphing capabilities, so make sure yours has this feature before attempting to graph equations. If it does, you will need to enter the equation in the correct format and select the graphing function. Refer to your calculator's manual for specific instructions on how to do this.

5. Why is my scientific calculator not turning on?

First, make sure your calculator has fresh batteries or is properly charged. If it still does not turn on, there may be an issue with the battery connection or the calculator itself. Try cleaning the battery contacts and if that does not work, it may be time to replace your calculator.