1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientific computing and CAD

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone. I've been looking at some computer aided design software, FreeCAD, and while it's to my understanding that engineers use programs like this constantly I wanted to ask if anyone knew if there programs are used in scientific computing or computational science and engineering. From what I read they are used for finite element analysis, what else are they used for? As someone trying to pursue a computational science degree is it worth learning? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2
    Circuit designers use SPICE constantly. A good, free version is called LTSpice from Linear Technology. You can google it.

Computational Science is a very sought-after field. For a lot more than just CAD you know. The ability to solve large systems of differential equations quickly has a lot of application in various areas of science and engineering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook