1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientific Computing

1. Jul 20, 2009 #1
    I plan on finishing up a B.Sc. in math with a minor in physics in the next few years. Afterward I would like to get a job for a few years and then continue in graduate school learning more about scientific computing and the like.

My question is what sorts of jobs are available in scientific computing and where can they be found? I am finding it very hard to separate out the "Computer Science" and "Software Engineering" jobs from the stuff I am interested with doing searches for jobs online. If anyone has any resource, I will be indebted to you.

Also fresh out my BS what sort of jobs will be available to me, and NO I am not at all interested in becoming a High School teacher. ;)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2
    It's hard to say what jobs are available in scientific computing since it varies. If you end up with a good knowledge of math, physics, applied math methods, etc (which you should be if you do pursue that grad program), you would be well suited to work with physicists, engineers, physical chemists, etc but it is hard to give you a definite answer. From my experience I think it might be best to look into what the people in the depts of math, applied math, and engineering are doing and check to see if they need any extra help - that will help you get an idea of what they do and what you might want to do in the future.

I also have a BSc in math (tho my minor is in medical sciences) and I have found jobs in tutoring, lab work, and all that junk. The best advice I can give you is to take any job that seems interesting, even if the position isn't that 'important' (ie data entry, lab assistant). If you have a passion for what you are doing you will find that you will learn new things all the time and this will help you just as much (if not more) than having a fancy degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook