1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientific Journal Publishing

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    Greetings Everyone,
    This is a question for those who have PhD's or anyone who published their work in some Scientific Journal. Do you need some academic background or what is the minimum academic requirement (bachelor, MSc, PhD , diploma or none) to publish your work in any scientific journal. I know that the most popular and prestigious journals have high rejection rate (around 90 percent). And do you need to be a member of that journal?
    Any comments appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2
    In engineering it is recommended to have at least one faculty member in authors list.

4. Jun 2, 2012 #3
    No. You do not need to be a member of journal. Only, your scientific work must be accurate and the modern problem of science. The accurate writing of article is must. When you do registration in journal website, there you will see some panel where is asked about your academic degree. The minimum academic requirement is M.Sc.

5. Jun 2, 2012 #4
    I was looking into self publishing via Amazon and it's Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) program, yet it is book vs article, with that in mind it may be an option to pursue.

6. Jun 3, 2012 #5
    thanks for replies. I found them very useful.

7. Jun 3, 2012 #6
    Surely it all comes down to the quality at the end of the day? Einstein only have a Bachelors degree when he published his 4 magnificent papers.

8. Jun 3, 2012 #7
    I don't think its correct. I think he got PhD from University of Berlin by correspondence first. Then he got his papers published. If there was no need to have PhD to publish, he would not pursue PhD because it would not be a worthy and relevant task for him. He pursue things that were relevant to his interest only.
    Besides, if I am wrong, how he managed to publish his work with Bachelors only.

9. Jun 3, 2012 #8
    Its been a while since I read his autobiography, but I think he published the papers as a means of getting a PhD to get up to the next rung of the ladder in the patent office, shortly afterwards he was awarded a PhD by the University of Zurich (Zurich Poly-technique).

Anyway at the end of the day the point is that if your write something of quality then you are going to get noticed. Quality is king.

10. Jun 4, 2012 #9

cgk

Science Advisor

That cannot be the case already for the simple reason that were were no Bachelors degrees in German-style systems until very recently (as in: starting around the 2000s, and some universities only introduced them a few years ago). The German "diplom" (the first degree after Abitur/Matura) is formally on the same level as a masters degree[1], and back in the day people also used to get doctorates directly without getting diplomas first.

[1] People used to argue in both higher and lower directions, because the actual coursework and the way courses were done in Germany was very different from US-style universities. The German system lead to a large variety in competence levels of people with diplom degrees.

11. Jun 4, 2012 #10

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In any of the journals that I've published in there are no minimum academic requirements. Nor have I ever heard or seen any minimum academic requirements for publishing in academic journals.

That said, people without formal academic backgrounds are rarely published these days. This is usually because they haven't received any mentorship in how to perform research and how to present it - both of which are extremely difficult do learn on your own.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook