Scientific law named after first name

My phys II prof said there were no law of physics or anything laws like math chem that were named by the inventors first name only the last. I know there is no way that is true i have been thinking of all i know and I can't seem to think so maybe he's right. but just a thought if anyone can think of one i would be greatly appreciative.

Most of the Greeks only had one name.

cookiemonster

Njorl

Science Advisor
Are there any laws named for Galileo, that was his first name. Archimedes has his
principle and Pythagorus has his theorem.

Njorl

Njorl said:
Are there any laws named for Galileo, that was his first name. Archimedes has his
principle and Pythagorus has his theorem.

Njorl
Technically, isn't it the "Pythagorean Theorem", which is credited to Pythagoras' school and may or may not have been discovered by Pythagoras himself?

Njorl

Science Advisor
The Galilean transformation is named for Galileo Galilei! I'd say it is probably for his first name, but it is hard to tell.

Njorl

I know a chemical law, but it contains both first and last name: Guy Lussac Law. Its a pressure/ temp law.

we're getting closer. there's gotta be a big one after the first name. thanx but lets keep thinking.

come on

someone has to know of one. yall all are brilliant on here. halls of ivy or selfadjoint someone.

Janitor

Science Advisor
Did Cher ever come up with anything important in science? Or Sonny?

yup

its called sonny's proof of massive deacceleration. causes death. sadly
with trees

Janitor

Science Advisor
Ah yes, the skiing accident. One of the Kennedy clan died that way too, if I remember right.

Poor them, both of them, but POOR me that i cannot show up prof for making that statement in stone.

marcus

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Njorl said:

Archimedes Principle

check it on google

It is a law of physics
Archimedes is his first name or his only name
(he was Archimedes of Syracuse)
It is a major law---discussed in college freshman physics
for centuries and real basic to understanding forces and
how things float and weighing stuff in air and water and
you always assign homework problems about it
what do you want, an Albert Principle already?

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think woodysooner is looking for an instance where the first name was used instead of the last. So we're looking for people known by both first and last names.

Finding a Chinese name solution would be cheating - though I don't know any - since they place the family name first.

I can only imagine that solutions can exist among non-western names.

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Some of the Laws in the Murphy's Laws Book are named after first names. Scientific ? I'm not so sure...but I'd swear by many of them.

yeah goku thats what i am looking for someone with first and last names but we only call the first name in law. thanx

AKG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Nenad said:
I know a chemical law, but it contains both first and last name: Guy Lussac Law. Its a pressure/ temp law.
I'm pretty sure that's the Gay-Lussac Law, and it is his last name. Joseph Louis Gay-Lussac was his name (after a quick search) and his law is the Gay-Lussac Law:

[tex]P_1/T_1 = P_2/T_2[/tex]

Sorry if this was already pointed out.

I should have never mentioned the sonny bono things geez. :biggrin: