Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientific Paper Editor

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1
    I was just wondering what is the standard software used to edit scientific papers on mac. I downloaded and tried a couple, but they were too complicated. I don't want to evaluate integrals and define functions, all I want to do is write equations and text on the same document. Kind of like word with a built in equation editor. I downloaded laTex, but it didn't meet my needs. Actually it overshot my needs.

Can you guys help out?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2012 #2
    which ones did you try?

4. Jul 26, 2012 #3
    LaTex, MathType, MATLAB and mathematica.

5. Jul 26, 2012 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I know of many people who use Word to type out their manuscripts.

Zz.

6. Jul 26, 2012 #5
    I'm afraid those are the mainstream ones. If you think it's hard to use them, your prospects in a scientific carrier are rather bleak.

7. Jul 26, 2012 #6

jhae2.718

Gold Member

I've never quite understood why people would use Word to write papers. I will concede the (arguable) point that LaTeX has a steep learning curve, but in my opinion the many benefits are well worth the initial effort.

8. Jul 26, 2012 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It is because it is simpler, and the final typesetting is done by the editors of the journal. Frankly, I can fully understand why. It is difficult and time-consuming enough to write a manuscript. No one wants to have the added struggle of dealing with latex issues.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook