Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientific style

1. Jun 18, 2006 #1
    I would like to know what are the software tools most used to:

-write scientific papers;
    -do graphics;
    -do statistical analysis.

At the moment, I'm using LaTex to write my scientific papers, and R to make some graphics... What do you think about these?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

R is a (good, apparently; I don't know about these things) stats package, too.

(Almost) Everyone uses LaTeX to prepare papers. Dunno about the rest: what kind of graphics do you mean? Graphs, as in y=f(x)? Graphs as in vertices and edges?

4. Jun 19, 2006 #3

J77

Yeah - LaTeX.

I use the Elsevier style file elsart.cls in all my notes too.

Graphics: produced as eps (close to the final print size), then labels added using the picture environment in LaTeX - you can also use the program 'sketch' to do this.

5. Jun 19, 2006 #4
    Matlab and LaTeX are very, very popular...

though there are a lot of people who decide to do it in MS word. I wrote two conference papers in MS words and I will never, ever use MS word ever again after that.

When submitting to conferences/journals with specific formatting requirements it's nearly impossible to do it correctly in word, wheras it's easy as pie in latex, especially if a latex style file is given.

6. Jun 19, 2006 #5
    For engineering, MATLAB is a very big help for writing papers.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook