1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientific style

1. Jun 18, 2006 #1
    I would like to know what are the software tools most used to:

-write scientific papers;
    -do graphics;
    -do statistical analysis.

At the moment, I'm using LaTex to write my scientific papers, and R to make some graphics... What do you think about these?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

R is a (good, apparently; I don't know about these things) stats package, too.

(Almost) Everyone uses LaTeX to prepare papers. Dunno about the rest: what kind of graphics do you mean? Graphs, as in y=f(x)? Graphs as in vertices and edges?

4. Jun 19, 2006 #3

J77

Yeah - LaTeX.

I use the Elsevier style file elsart.cls in all my notes too.

Graphics: produced as eps (close to the final print size), then labels added using the picture environment in LaTeX - you can also use the program 'sketch' to do this.

5. Jun 19, 2006 #4
    Matlab and LaTeX are very, very popular...

though there are a lot of people who decide to do it in MS word. I wrote two conference papers in MS words and I will never, ever use MS word ever again after that.

When submitting to conferences/journals with specific formatting requirements it's nearly impossible to do it correctly in word, wheras it's easy as pie in latex, especially if a latex style file is given.

6. Jun 19, 2006 #5
    For engineering, MATLAB is a very big help for writing papers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?