Scientific Translator Needed - German/English | Tom T.

• Thread starter Tom Thompson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientific
In summary: German teachers of English as a second language can find many opportunities in the country. Some of the most common are teaching in private language schools, working in multinationals, and teaching at universities. In order to teach English in Germany, you will need a TEFL/TESOL certification.
Tom Thompson
Hi,
I was wondering if there is anyone around here with some experience in the translation of scientific texts. The job occurred to me as I am currently looking for a location independant job and I would like to put my physics master to some use.
I`m completely bilingual german/english but have no other fluent languages.
Does anyone know of a way to get some certification or entrance to such a job? As I`m not really thinking about making this my lifelong career, doing a one or two year master is not really an option.
Any other pointers would be appreciated, thanks in advance :)
Tom T.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm if no one here has experience, maybe some wild speculation?

Regards,
Tom T :)

My wild speculation would be that you're going to have a difficult time finding such a job. Most German scientists speak English pretty well, and most science publications in the last 50 years are in English. You might try checking career pages of journals like Elsevier though to see what you find. There are old journals published in German that would be neat to see translated to English, but I certainly don't have the money to hire someone to do it.

I have no concrete expertise, but my wild speculation is that you could have an interesting career doing this- especially if you don't limit yourself to physics. I imagine there's a good market for the biomedical literature.

I agree with kanato- contact some of the major publishers (Elsevier, Wiley, Academic press...) and see what they say.

Julian Barbour earned his living translating Russian scientific journals. Do a google search on him you may find tips on how he developed his translating career - it left him with enough time to develop an independent "admin free" career in theoretical physics.

thanks guys - I'll do some more research, send some emails and post updates in a couple days.

The job description does exist, but people who do it are usually translating patents and other legal documents; not articles (which are written English anyway), and in order to do that job you would probably need to become an accredited translator.

It used to be the case that articles published in the Soviet Union and other countries in the eastern block were first published in e.g. Russian and then translated (by translators) and published in journals like JETP. But nowadays everyone writes papers and grant applications in English.

1. How much experience do you have as a scientific translator?

I have been working as a scientific translator for 10 years and have experience translating various scientific documents from German to English and vice versa.

2. Can you provide examples of scientific documents you have translated in the past?

Yes, I can provide a portfolio of scientific documents I have translated, including research papers, lab reports, and conference presentations.

3. What is your educational background in science and language?

I have a Bachelor's degree in Biology and a Master's degree in Translation Studies. I have also completed specialized courses in scientific translation and have a strong understanding of both scientific terminology and language proficiency.

4. How do you ensure accuracy and consistency in your translations?

I use various tools and resources to ensure accuracy and consistency in my translations, including translation memory software, glossaries, and dictionaries. I also have a rigorous proofreading and editing process in place to catch any errors or inconsistencies.

5. How do you handle confidential or sensitive scientific information?

I have a strict confidentiality policy in place and I take the necessary precautions to protect any sensitive information provided to me during the translation process. I am also open to signing a non-disclosure agreement if needed.