Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientific word processors

1. Aug 28, 2005 #1
    This is probably slightly off-topic, so I must begin my post apologizing for that. :smile:

I am seeking a free scientific word processor that can do something similar to the tex bracket command on this board, so that I may make symbols for integration, differentiation, summation, et. al. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it greatly.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2005 #2

honestrosewater

Gold Member

4. Aug 28, 2005 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like MathType. This is the upgrade from the "equation editor" that MS puts on its Office applications, but Math Type can work with just about any other processor as well. I've only used the Mac versions, and I only assume the Wintel version is the same.

5. Aug 28, 2005 #4

Mk

Apple Mac OS X's Equation Editor Appleworks Extension, it is found at Macintosh HD/ Applications/AppleWorks/AppleWorks Essentials/Equation Editor/Carbon/Equation Editor. I keep it in my dock for easy access, it is very helpful in writing papers and such.

6. Aug 28, 2005 #5
    What's wrong with LaTeX? Get yourself a decent syntax-highlighting editor (too numerous and platform-dependent to mention just one) and a good LaTeX manual by your side, and you're set.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?