Looking for a free scientific word processor with LaTeX capabilities?

• Thread starter willworkforfood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientific
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a free scientific word processor that can produce symbols for integration, differentiation, summation, and other mathematical operations. Suggestions for such a word processor include MathType, Apple Mac OS X's Equation Editor, and LaTeX.
willworkforfood
This is probably slightly off-topic, so I must begin my post apologizing for that. :smile:

I am seeking a free scientific word processor that can do something similar to the tex bracket command on this board, so that I may make symbols for integration, differentiation, summation, et. al. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it greatly.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like MathType. This is the upgrade from the "equation editor" that MS puts on its Office applications, but Math Type can work with just about any other processor as well. I've only used the Mac versions, and I only assume the Wintel version is the same.

Apple Mac OS X's Equation Editor Appleworks Extension, it is found at Macintosh HD/ Applications/AppleWorks/AppleWorks Essentials/Equation Editor/Carbon/Equation Editor. I keep it in my dock for easy access, it is very helpful in writing papers and such.

What's wrong with LaTeX? Get yourself a decent syntax-highlighting editor (too numerous and platform-dependent to mention just one) and a good LaTeX manual by your side, and you're set.

What is a scientific word processor?

A scientific word processor is a specialized software designed for creating and formatting scientific documents, such as research papers, lab reports, and thesis. It includes features such as formatting equations, tables, and references in a specific style required by scientific publications.

What are the benefits of using a scientific word processor?

Some of the benefits of using a scientific word processor include easy and accurate formatting of complex equations and symbols, automatic generation of reference lists, and compatibility with different citation styles. It also allows for collaboration and tracking changes, making it easier for multiple authors to work on the same document.

What are some popular scientific word processors?

Some popular scientific word processors include Microsoft Word, LaTeX, Google Docs, and Overleaf. Each of these has its own set of features and benefits, so it is important to research and choose the one that best suits your needs.

Is a scientific word processor different from a regular word processor?

Yes, a scientific word processor is specifically designed for scientific documents and includes features that are not available in regular word processors. These features may include equation editors, citation managers, and journal-specific formatting styles.

Do I need special training to use a scientific word processor?

While some scientific word processors, such as LaTeX, may require some learning and practice, most modern scientific word processors are user-friendly and do not require extensive training. However, it is always beneficial to familiarize yourself with the features and tools available to make the most out of the software.