Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientists cast doubt on Kennedy bullet analysis

1. May 17, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18709539/

The never ending saga...

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2007 #2
    I have a family member who was a off duty cop, very close to where the shooting happened. To this day he will tell you the shots rang out from several areas.

4. May 17, 2007 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Weren't there buildings? Um... the sound bounced off the buildings. Anyone ever think of that?

5. May 17, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, and a city cop would certainly think of that. Either way, this is part of the explanation that has always been used to explain the observer reports of a second gunman.

6. May 17, 2007 #5
    Someday, after my childrens childrens children are dead, the reports on his death will be declassified (if there was indeed a plot to kill him). The same way we learn about what really happened about things in say WWII, only today.

7. May 18, 2007 #6
    A recent issue of Rolling Stone mag had an interview with St John Hunt, the son of E Howard Hunt, who was one of the people who broke into the Watergate Hotel. E Howard also got asked to take part in the Kennedy assassination, but opted to not be involved directly.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/13893143/the_last_confessions_of_e_howard_hunt
    (see pg.7 especially)
    E Howard hadn't been doing very well in the last few years and, expecting to die soon, spilled his guts to his son. His son then went to a radio station with the cassette tape that he made, naming names & all that sort of stuff:
    http://www.saintjohnhunt.com/testament.html

(& I don't need a team of scientists to tell me there was another shooter. Just watch the Zapruder film, Kennedy's head goes BACK and TO THE LEFT)

8. May 18, 2007 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The famous physicist Luis Alverez explained this as the jet-recoil effect and there is a film of him demonstrating this by shooting a watermelon. The mass ejected from the front creates a greater force than the bullet entering from behind. It is the loss of mass [head or watermelon parts] that complicates things.

9. May 18, 2007 #8

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Penn & Teller did a demonstration of this on their Conspiracy Theory episode. The melon fell toward the shot. That means if Kennedy's head jerked backward, the shot came from behind him.... say from a book depository :wink:

That explains the physics of things, but don't forget the other parts of the story. Oswald was qualified as a sharpshooter in the US marines. It's more than plausible to believe he can make 2 successful shots in just a few seconds.

10. May 18, 2007 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's what I just said. :confused:

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  11. May 18, 2007 #10
    Anyone ever play the game/simulator JFL Reloaded? (It's free, you just have to look around for it) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JFK:_Reloaded

I actually got pretty close to what 'really' happened. It's neat to try anyway.

12. May 18, 2007 #11
  13. May 24, 2007 #12
    How many bullets did they find or did they find any?

14. May 24, 2007 #13

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I think it was 3 bullets. 2 hits, 1 miss.

15. May 24, 2007 #14
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?