Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientists cover the mirror with a stratum that doesn't hold water

1. Jul 11, 2005 #1
    I'm a high school student.

I heard that scientists cover the mirror with a stratum that doesn't hold water. Thus when you get out of the shower, you can see your reflection into the mirror in a smooth way.

I've been searching this structure. I want to indicate my ideas with composing them. How does the atoms in this system line? Could you suggest me a web site or a direct person to find what the system's strucure is?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As far as I know (which is very little) the idea is simply to first aplly a thin coat of an oil followed by a similar coat of some detergent. The detergent molecules have hydrophilic and hydrophobic ends. The hydrophobic ends bond well with the oil layer, making the hydrrophilic ends stick out. When a water droplet forms on the mirror, the hydrophilic ends stick to the surface of the droplet reducing its surface tension. This causes the water to bead up, rather than form a fine foggy dispersion or layer.

It's not much different from a car wax, I imagine. The only significant difference is that you might want the thickness of the layers to be not much larger than the wavelength of light (less than 0.5 microns thick).
  4. Jul 12, 2005 #3
    Hmm... I wonder that do the scientists line these atoms just top of the mirrors surface or they line them with an orderly regulation?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?