Is Lack of Funding Threatening American Science's Global Competitiveness?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary: We should all chip into buy him a "The Pet Goat" reading level of the Bible when he becomes president.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/34137

In the letter, the laureates complain that "hundreds of scientists have been laid off; research grants have been slashed; and facilities operations have been seriously curtailed at national laboratories", as a result of the shortfall. They also warn that the damage done to American science in 2008 "will become permanent if it is not rectified within the next few months". This damage, they say, could hamper the nation’s ability to respond to "increased global competition from countries such as China, India, and South Korea".

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not just in physics. In the life sciences, we're struggling for funding too. I'm already looking for non-research positions because I'm fed up with it (when people with more experience and better track records and more established labs than me can't get funding, I don't have much hope for my own career in the short term...grants that would have been funded a few years ago are well below the funding lines now, and friends of mine who are on study sections reviewing grants say the atmosphere is almost funereal when they have to turn down great research because there just isn't enough money). Even some of the tenured faculty are getting tired of insufficient funding to do anything productive, so are looking to get out of research as well (or at least research in academic institutions dependent on public funding).

wolram said:
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/34137

In the letter, the laureates complain that "hundreds of scientists have been laid off; research grants have been slashed; and facilities operations have been seriously curtailed at national laboratories", as a result of the shortfall. They also warn that the damage done to American science in 2008 "will become permanent if it is not rectified within the next few months". This damage, they say, could hamper the nation’s ability to respond to "increased global competition from countries such as China, India, and South Korea".
Permanent damages have already occurred I can tell you. I know of several brillant physicists who have already left. Some of them young not getting permanent position, some of them senior deserving better than what can be offered right now here.

The only reason I have not left is because the machine is here. If we could take the hardware with us, we would already all have left.

Hopefully next year will be more reasonable.

My two cents :smile:

How much is 500 Mill to a country like America? i bet they loose that much every year on military projects.

wolram said:
How much is 500 Mill to a country like America? i bet they loose that much every year on military projects.

That's the problem, all of the money that usually goes into research is being spent in Iraq.

Scientists want more money

Everybody wants more money. That's the beauty of inflation. :smile:

Phlogistonian said:
Scientists want more money

Everybody wants more money. That's the beauty of inflation. :smile:

I think this is a more serious issue, good brains are going to waste, the brains of people who have spent a life time learning and gaining qualifications, countries need these people to lead
the way in science.
It is unfortunate that overseas problems are robbing the country of future scientific gains.

The number of people studying math oriented fields (science, engineering) in the US is half of what it was in the nineties. This has nothing to do with our education system (which in spite of what the media says is generally excellent) or with Americans being stupid or lazy. It has everything to do with return on investment. People put time and money into getting educated. Why would they want to invest into a field that is declining? Yes, there is a discount for the fields being interesting... but that does not make up for not having a stable job.

The 'war' in Iraq is part of the problem--the other part is that Bush doesn't believe in science or the scientific process

He once said, "My brain hurt when I tried to think about such stuff--so I don't anymore."

Last edited:
rewebster said:
the other part is that Bush doesn't believe in science or the scientific process

That's just what I was going to say. We've got a monkey in the White House who gits his answers from a Higher Power. And he don't need no fizzicks or biolojee to tell him no differnt from what he already knows to be 'true'.

Tom Mattson said:
That's just what I was going to say. We've got a monkey in the White House who gits his answers from a Higher Power. And he don't need no fizzicks or biolojee to tell him no differnt from what he already knows to be 'true'.

you just gave me an idea--

we should all chip into buy him a "The Pet Goat" reading level of the Bible when he retires

This is very sad. Energy research is arguably one of the most important areas of research for the future...

Of course, the POTUS, being invested in the current source of E, might not care too much... but I digress. I speak more like a conspiracy theorist when I say things like this.

1. Why do scientists want more money?

Scientists want more money in order to fund their research projects and pursue new discoveries. Many scientific studies require expensive equipment, materials, and personnel, and without adequate funding, these projects may not be possible.

2. How does funding impact scientific progress?

Funding is crucial for the progress of scientific research. Without enough money, scientists may be restricted in their ability to conduct experiments, publish findings, and collaborate with other scientists. Adequate funding allows for more resources and opportunities, which can lead to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in various fields.

3. Where does the money for scientific research come from?

The majority of funding for scientific research comes from government agencies, such as the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation. Private foundations and organizations also provide funding for specific areas of research, and some scientists may receive grants from universities or private companies.

4. Are scientists paid well?

The salaries of scientists vary depending on their field, experience, and location. Generally, scientists with advanced degrees and extensive research experience tend to earn higher salaries. However, compared to other professions with similar levels of education and training, scientists may not be paid as well.

5. How can increased funding for scientific research benefit society?

Increased funding for scientific research can lead to advancements in various fields, such as medicine, technology, and environmental conservation. These advancements can have a positive impact on society by improving health, creating new technologies, and promoting sustainability. Additionally, funding for scientific research can also stimulate economic growth by creating jobs and boosting innovation.