Scientists who were avid cooks?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, famous scientists of the past were also likely to be keen cooks. This is in contrast to the popular perception that cooking is a less sophisticated activity than studying nature. However, this is not always the case and there are a few famous chefs who are also scientists.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Were any famous scientists of the past (say 1800's or earlier) also avid cooks?

I'm curious about this because there have long been cookbooks and the descriptions in cookbooks are concise and step-by-step. But a cookbook is associated with tasks that a Natural Philosopher might regard as less sophisticated than the study of nature. (Even today, a "cookbook approach" has some negative connotations.) However, a scientist who was also a cook might embrace the cookbook style of describing things. Are there any examples?

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

At the time, scientists were male, cooks were female. Also people didn't cook for themselves, except the poor, in which case they usually hadn't the chance to become a scientist.

Demands the old joke: What's the difference between chemistry and cookery?

In chemistry, it's not a good idea to lick the spoon.

• Haha
Likes marcusl, DennisN and DrClaude
Louis Pasteur had a lot to do with food and drink, but I haven't found anything he wrote about the study of nature in general.

Stephen Tashi said:
Louis Pasteur had a lot to do with food and drink, but I haven't found anything he wrote about the study of nature in general.
Pasteur, 1822 -1895

The more we go back in history, the more we end up at times when people were happy if there was something to eat at all. The art of cooking is a rather modern culture. There are some old French books with recipes, however, not related to scientists.

Likes russ_watters
fresh_42 said:
No.

At the time, scientists were male, cooks were female. Also people didn't cook for themselves, except the poor, in which case they usually hadn't the chance to become a scientist.

If you think of all of the great chefs that ever existed, the overwhelming majority of them were in fact male. And in certain cultures (Italians, Chinese, etc.) it was quite common for men to be involved in cooking/preparing meals.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Pasteur, 1822 -1895

The more we go back in history, the more we end up at times when people were happy if there was something to eat at all. The art of cooking is a rather modern culture. There are some old French books with recipes, however, not related to scientists.

First of all, the more you go back in history, the more you end up at times when the majority of the population were farmers, peasants, or serfs who were not permitted or didn't have the resources to be educated. Or you came from nomadic hunter/gatherer or herder societies, and these societies generally speaking did not engage in the scientific enterprise for obvious reasons.

StatGuy2000 said:
If you think all of the great chefs that ever existed, the overwhelming majority of them were in fact male.
I would substitute "great" with "famous."
<Unrelated comment veering into politics removed by mentor.>

Last edited by a moderator:
If we relax both the famous and the past part, we get Nathan Myhrvold with bon mots like "The three most useful machines are the water bath for cooking sous vide, the centrifuge and the homogenizer."

Likes Stephen Tashi
collinsmark said:
I would substitute "great" with "famous."
<Response to deleted content removed by mentor.>
Edit: There seems to be a sort of converse trend of chefs trying to make their cooking chemistry- based using molecular structure to produce customized flavors. I remember a US-based Spain-born chef, one who set up gastro pubs but I can't remember his name; will look it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
WWGD said:
Edit: There seems to be a sort of converse trend of chefs trying to make their cooking chemistry- based using molecular structure to produce customized flavors. I remember a US-based Spain-born chef, one who set up gastro pubs but I can't remember his name; will look it up.
The famous one in the UK is Heston Blumenthal; I think he coined the phrase "molecular gastronomy". He is famous (or notorious) for things like bacon-and-egg flavoured ice cream.

Likes WWGD
I have heard/read several anecdotes and memoirs that during the Manhattan Project personnel including many 'STEM' professions isolated at Los Alamos NM and other remote locations, became adept at entertaining each other including the relatively new concept in North America of outdoor barbeques (BBQ). Rumor has it that Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller played a mean piano while several colleagues shared culinary skills.

Cooking, like gardening and painting, requires a willingness to get your hands (and clothing) soiled. :cool:

Last edited:

1. What inspired these scientists to become avid cooks?

Many scientists have a natural curiosity and passion for experimentation, which can easily translate into the kitchen. Cooking allows them to use their scientific skills and knowledge to create delicious dishes.

2. How do these scientists balance their love for cooking with their demanding research or work schedules?

Some scientists may view cooking as a form of stress relief and make time for it in their busy schedules. Others may incorporate cooking into their research, such as studying the chemical reactions that occur during cooking.

3. Are there any notable scientists who were also accomplished cooks?

Yes, there are many scientists who were also avid cooks, including famous names such as Marie Curie, Albert Einstein, and Neil deGrasse Tyson. These individuals found success in both their scientific and culinary pursuits.

4. How does being a scientist influence their approach to cooking?

Scientists approach cooking with a methodical and analytical mindset, carefully measuring ingredients and experimenting with different techniques to achieve the perfect result. They may also be more adventurous in trying new ingredients and flavors.

5. Can being a scientist improve one's cooking skills?

Absolutely! The scientific knowledge and skills that scientists possess, such as understanding chemical reactions, can greatly enhance their cooking abilities. They may also have a better understanding of nutrition and how to create balanced and healthy meals.