Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientology and Psychiatry

1. Apr 23, 2003 #1
    Scientologists seem to hate psychiatry, viewing it as an ultimate evil. Can someone tell me why?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2003 #2
    Probably because pschiatrists would tell any scientologist he or she was completely nuts for believing that crap!
  4. Apr 24, 2003 #3
    yep, scientology is a big pyramid scheme. the guy behind it even said that the best way to get rich is to start a religion. they take people who need psychiatric help and turn them into worker drones to fund the organization and sucker in more weak minded people. if any scientologists read this; sorry, i just call it how i see it.
  5. Apr 24, 2003 #4
    I'd like John Travolta more if he weren't into Scientology. It would make no difference with Tom Cruise, I don't like his acting anyway. I wonder how the organization attracted these high profile members and what on earth it can offer them?
  6. Apr 24, 2003 #5
    well Travolta was haveing a rough time of things when he got signed on; from what i understand they "cured" him of his homosexuality.
  7. Apr 25, 2003 #6
    The Scientology cult is pretty dangerous. I have done a little bit of research on it, and a friend did a short documentary on it, and its freaky ****e!
    For example, they lure you in with promises that your life will get better, but they dig up dirt on you, so if you want to leave, they blackmail you. Most people believe that the reason movie stars claim to be scientologists is because they are blackmailed to remain.
    In fact, when my friend did the movie, two different guys that she didnt know, on two separate occasions, asked her out to lunch while she was waiting for a bus. The second guy slipped and asked her how her movie was coming even though he was a complete stranger and couldn't have known she was making a movie...
    There is also a lot of info about how they sue you for saying one bad thing about them, even for merely stating your opinion about the religion.
    The basics of their religion is that: some super-god like thing killed all the people on earth like billions of years ago by planting bombs underneath volcanoes. All the souls of those killed are now wreaking havoc on living humans today, and are the cause of all distress and problems. They even infest your own soul. By paying the scientologist, they will tell you how to remove these evil spirits.
  8. Apr 25, 2003 #7
    And yet 7 million people worldwide are buying this BS. Some folks somewhere are very rich.
  9. Apr 25, 2003 #8

Wasn't it L Ron Hubbard, awful science fiction writer and the founder of scientology, the one who said "If you want to get rich fast, start your own religion"?
    Funny how most scientologists fail to see the connection....
  10. Apr 28, 2003 #9

Staff: Mentor

Hmm, that gives me an idea...

Send me money and be saved!!
  11. Apr 29, 2003 #10
    ha ha ha

Comeon, now, guys

L. Ron Hubbard may have started it as a way to get money, but he eventually went insane and started believing in it

Therefore, he was a righteous, upstanding person
  12. May 3, 2003 #11
    Scientology doesn't like shrinks because their religion defies normalcy standards and all of cognitive science. It's along the lines of asking why Atheists don't hang out with priests.
  13. May 5, 2003 #12
    This atheist does hang out with priests. In fact, he is married to one.
  14. May 5, 2003 #13
    Could someone explaim me what exactly "scientology" mean? There is no such word in my college dictionary.
  15. May 5, 2003 #14
    It's a psuedo-religious organization that supposedly got started, at least I have heard, by one guy betting another guy that he could make up his own religion (or, self-help organization), and get other people to follow which, has pretty well proven out ...

Here's a good link for starters about what people find wrong with it ... http://www.scientology-lies.com/
  16. May 5, 2003 #15
    Alexander, scientology is a religion. Do a search and you'll find out all the nasty details. It makes a lot of money by breaking people down and then reprogramming them.
  17. May 5, 2003 #16
    Thanks. Nasty, indeed.
  18. May 5, 2003 #17

Still, most of the conned believers are actors and other rich folk, so overall it's good for society. If only they make the profits from scientology taxable...
  19. May 5, 2003 #18
    Would not it be better if they invest in good education?
  20. May 5, 2003 #19
    You must have scientologists in Russia too (unfortunately)? Oh yes, here they are:

Scientology in Russia
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2003
  21. May 6, 2003 #20
    Capitalism. What else would you expect from it?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?