Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientology Under Attack

1. Jan 25, 2008 #1
    Their Mission Statement:

Church of Scientology website being attacked by hackers

"The attack was launched on Wednesday by a user calling himself "Anonymous", on the website "Project Chanology". The "History" section of the site explains, in a satirical fashion, that the incident was prompted by the Church of Scientology's attempts to remove a promotional video featuring Scientologist Tom Cruise from YouTube. Though YouTube is complying with the Church of Scientology's requests to take down the video, other sites such as Gawker.com have stated that they will keep hosting the video.

Writing in a blog post, Matthew Ingram of The Globe and Mail dubbed the ongoing conflict involving the Church of Scientology's attempts to remove the Cruise video from the Internet: "Scientology vs. the Internet, part XVII". He characterized the conflict between the Church of Scientology and anonymous posters of the Cruise video as "another small skirmish in a war that Scientology has been waging for almost 15 years, since the early days of newsgroups such as alt.religion.scientology, which posted internal church documents in 1994. Lawsuits have been filed, mailing lists have been shut down, homes of discussion group participants have been raided and their computers seized -- an all-out war."

Web vigilantes attack Scientology website

"A shadowy internet group has succeeded in taking down a Scientology website after effectively declaring war on the Church and calling for it to be destroyed.

The group, which goes by the name of Anonymous, is a disparate collection of hackers and activists. It called for a wave of attacks against Scientology after accusing the Church of "campaigns of misinformation" and "suppression of dissent." At least one Scientology website was still down this morning.

The group also claims to have stolen a number of "secret documents" from the Church's database, which it says are now circulating on file-sharing networks."

Project Chanology

A large DDoS assault has begun on websites owned by the Church of Scientology. The organization called Anonymous has decided to try to destroy the church.

The project is available online.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

The Scientologists made Google remove links to websites that they claimed disparaged them a few years ago. They claimed the material was protected under copyright.

Google pulls anti-Scientology links

4. Jan 25, 2008 #3
    Several Scientology websites are currently completely down or very slow. Anonymous are also trying to Google Bomb Scientology by making xenu.net, a highly critical website of Scientology, the first hit on Google for the key word "scientology".

CoS has gotten the scientology.org website up-and-running after it being down for almost a week. However, I cannot currently access the website, so it looks like they are making another round of DDoS attacks on it.
  5. Jan 25, 2008 #4
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  6. Jan 25, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

Not even alien ones?
  7. Jan 25, 2008 #6
    :rofl: I cant top that. It speaks for itself.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  8. Jan 25, 2008 #7
  9. Jan 25, 2008 #8
  10. Jan 25, 2008 #9
  11. Jan 25, 2008 #10
    You people have no real idea of what is going on.

This is 4chan. These are about 10,000 nerds who have unlimited time on their hands and 1 goal: to generate the lulz.

Want to know just who 4chan is? Watch the Fox News fear mongering report on them:

These are just nerds who have a lot of time on their hands, but through sheer force they can work miracles. Make no mistake, this IS a tipping point in history.
  12. Jan 28, 2008 #11
    Anonymous is a group of computer hackers that knows what they're doing. They're very good at taking down the people they want to take down.

The Church of Scientology has a lot of money, but that's useless against people who openly admit to doing this partially for their own amusement.
  13. Jan 28, 2008 #12
    No, they're not hackers. Only some of them are. The rest are regular people who just want to contribute.

From message boards like 4chan, 711chan, whatever else, you have like 15,000 people total posting there. Of those there are a handful of good hackers. The rest are just regular people with a lot of time on their hands.

This doesn't really matter, because their strength comes from numbers. They have "raids" in real life, i.e. protests outside of various church locations (with major ones planned). And not just in the US, either.

It's also misleading to call them a "group", as if they were some sort of coherent organization. They are not. They don't even know each other, really. They just have the same goal. That's why it's so hard to try and take them down. You don't know who the leaders are, since even they don't know who they really are.

This is also why you can rest knowing they won't be "taken over" by some other group, because there is nobody to follow or give orders in the first place. You're better off making them bored with you than trying to beat them.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  14. Jan 29, 2008 #13

Oh jeez. Scientology is a lot crazier than I thought.

I mean. We know how religious fundamentalists are, I won't list all the things. But Scientologists are not just crazy. They freak me out.

What are your crimes man?
    You beat your wife don't you?
    How many people have you killed?
    You're a child molester.

And they of course, reject modern medicine because...
    psychiatrists were responsible for 9/11
  15. Jan 29, 2008 #14
    Goooooooooooo Anonymous!!
  16. Jan 29, 2008 #15
  17. Jan 29, 2008 #16
    Big thing happened on Monday: Anon stole $300,000 worth of documents from them.

That means that Scientologists each paid $300k for those things. Includes everything, the OT levels, books, you name it. Also includes some disturbing material on getting kids into Dianetics (Training them like dogs. Literally.)

Their plan is to simply give the info to anybody for free. Any other religion gives you literature and information for free. Scientology makes you pay HUGE amounts of money for it.
  18. Jan 29, 2008 #17

Operation Clambake http://www.xenu.net/archive/secret.html has a lot of material on Scientology including many of their so-called secret documents. Apparently Scientology charges the gullible $1000 an hour for this rubbish.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  19. Jan 29, 2008 #18
    That's all just meaningless banter designed to antagonize and threaten the cameraman. The most telling part of that video is this...

If this is the popular viewpoint held by Scientologists then I don't see how anything good can come from Scientology besides the realization of it's principles and the pleasure of rejecting them. It appears to be another bully philosophy, completely lacking any sense of humility.

As far as news reporters go, this guy was kind of mild-mannered. I've seen reporters use antagonization as a method of getting a reaction out of someone to create something newsworthy. Apparently, one of the men he was filming distributed flyers around the cameraman's neighborhood, assaulting his character. So there is some history between this cameraman and members of Scientology. All I know about the cameraman is that, besides some silly jokes, he did nothing in the video to antagonize the three Scientologists that were brow-beating him. So I don't know if this is just some convenient editing, or a fair representation of Scientology. Whatever it is, it's kind of scary to watch.

Those Scientologists sure were enturbulated.
  20. Jan 30, 2008 #19

Gold Member

What is with this thread?? I thought PF didn't allow put-downs of specific religious groups - no matter who or what they believe.
  21. Jan 30, 2008 #20
    Its not a religion. Its a cult of loonies.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?