Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scifi Writing assistance

1. Nov 18, 2012 #1
    I'm writing something, and I need some assistance. Namely, I want it to be at least moderatly accurate to real life physics, so I would appreciate it if someone could give me an insight on how real-world physics would work in the following situations.

First - what would happen if a human being of average strenght delivered a hundred punches in the span of 0.1 seconds or less(assume that the person is invulnerable). What kind of effects would it have on the surface that is being punched?

Second - if someone ran at a speed very close to the speed of sound, and then surpassed the speed of sound by punching in the same direction in which he is running , what kind of effect would that cause? Would that even work? What kind of effect would that have on the surface the person is running on(asfalt/concrete). Assume the person in question is invulnerable, for the sake of argument.

Third - if one threw bullets, so they have roughly the same speed as them being shot from a gun, would the bullets be able to fly in the same arc as if they were shot from a gun? How much strenght or speed in ones hand would that require? Standard 9mm caliber bullets are in question here.

I'm grateful for any answers you might have.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2012 #2
    Re: Writing assisatance

First - what would happen if a human being of average strenght delivered a hundred punches in the span of 0.1 seconds or less(assume that the person is invulnerable). What kind of effects would it have on the surface that is being punched?

So they are normal punches but superfast? There are a number of things. If the surface being punched is elastic, then the punches arrive before the elastic surface can spring back. I'm not sure exactly what would happen, but I think it would be more likely to break the target. Also that would be fast enough that it would produce a medium-range musical note. If that is the resonant frequency of the target then it would be devastating. It would be a lot of energy in a short time. To do this the punches would have to travel a very short distance, like maybe an inch. Sort of like a jackhammer.

Second - if someone ran at a speed very close to the speed of sound, and then surpassed the speed of sound by punching in the same direction in which he is running , what kind of effect would that cause? Would that even work? What kind of effect would that have on the surface the person is running on(asfalt/concrete). Assume the person in question is invulnerable, for the sake of argument.

I don't think it would make much difference. It could be done, and would make a loud noise.

Third - if one threw bullets, so they have roughly the same speed as them being shot from a gun, would the bullets be able to fly in the same arc as if they were shot from a gun? How much strenght or speed in ones hand would that require? Standard 9mm caliber bullets are in question here.

It depends. An M-16 shoots bullets that tumble, so it would be kind of like that. Other guns shoot bullets that spin, and those go farther than tumbling bullets.

At close range the tumbling bullets would cause more damage.

You'd have to have your hand moving at the speed of a bullet. Of course your joints would fall apart, but we're talking superman here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook