Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sciforums

1. Feb 4, 2004 #1

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Recently, Dave, the owner/operator of sciforums.com, has decided to put the word "physicsforums" on his site's profanity list. This means using the word "physicsforums" results in "*************", rendering all links to physicsforums unusable. In short, he doesn't want anyone on his site to know about physicsforums.

Touching, isn't it?

- Warren

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2004 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

what about doing this

W.W.W.D.O.T.P.H.Y.S.I.C.S.F.O.R.U.M.S.D.O.T.C.O.M

4. Feb 4, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Feb 4, 2004 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Feb 4, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not trying to find away around the new policy declaring "physicsforums" to be a bad word. I'm simply laughing at it!

You guys are way too practical sometimes.

- Warren

7. Feb 4, 2004 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Speaking of that, isn't "physicsforums" the ONLY censored word at sciforums? I remember some of your old posts to Prosoothus that would have been 100% asterisks here at PF.

8. Feb 4, 2004 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's an excellent point, I think it might very well be the only one!

- Warren

9. Feb 4, 2004 #8
    Chroot,

You used to drop in at sciforums then and there and invite poeple to this forum. This might be the reason for Dave's allergy for the word 'physicsforums'. Shall i invite you guys to www.sciforums.com now.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2004
  10. Feb 4, 2004 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, why not?

- Warren

11. Feb 7, 2004 #10

Tsu

Gold Member

No, thanks. I've been there. It sucks. I don't like hanging out with rude, nasty people.

12. Feb 8, 2004 #11

Eh

But where else are you going to find the latest news on perpetual motion machines? Don't forget the countless groundbreaking, Einstien debunking, revolutionary theories that show up on those boards.

13. Feb 8, 2004 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

Well, good point, Eh. Maybe we could start a 'Dear Albert' column here for that kind of thing - but without the rude language and the snotty attitudes... :wink: I'd like to suggest that they rename their forum rottenpeople.com.

14. Feb 9, 2004 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sciforums.

Been there done that.

I don't see why they even have moderators.

15. Feb 9, 2004 #14

FZ+

Heh. Greg can smell their fear.

16. May 17, 2004 #15
    If I recall correctly, we were under attack by a spammer and censoring the word "physicsforums" was one necessary countermeasure. It doesn't matter anymore and the word is off the censor list, but you guys are free to conjure up whatever crazy stories you want.

Cheers!

17. May 17, 2004 #16
    Is www.Sciforums.com www.Physicsforum.com's worst enemy? Physicsforums beats any forum anyday.

18. May 17, 2004 #17

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I've posted on sciforums, it's rubbish if it had been any good I doubt I would of found physicsforums. I've tried looking at other bulletin boards, but physicsforums is the best dedicated bulletin board for physics on the web (that I've found), though Bad Astromy's BB isn't bad (but as the name suggests it's not as broad as physicsforums).

19. May 17, 2004 #18
    The two forums target two different audiences, with only moderate overlap. Enemies? It seems like a pretty trivial thing to care about.

20. May 18, 2004 #19
    Enemies that share IRC physics chatrooms?? Interesting. Very competitive if u ask me (sarcastic).

21. May 18, 2004 #20
    We don't share a chat room with sciforums

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?