Scilab codes for a lab report for Helmholtz

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Scilab to solve a problem involving the calculation of magnetic field as a function of distance along the axis. The code provided is missing a loop to calculate B for each value of Z and is also missing a few terms in the equation. An example of modified code is given to demonstrate the correct approach to solve the problem.
Shing

Homework Statement

It is actually not homework, but I found it is cool to solve it in Scilab, and I think that it is more proper to ask it here
write the codes for (please read the picture)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

u=1.256637061*10^-6
N=320
R=0.136/2
a=2*R
Z= [-0.17 -0.15 -0.13 -0.11 -0.09 -0.07 -0.05 -0.03 -0.01 0 0.01 0.03 0.05 0.07 0.09]
I=1

B=[(Z^2+R^2)^(-1.5)+((2*a-Z)^2+R^2)^(-1.5)]*N*u*I*R/2

The problem is that given large enough a, it is supposed to be looked like a y=Ax^4+C function,
but no matter what number I put in,
it appears to be like a y=-Ax+C function,
Would anyone tell me what's wrong, please?

Thanks for your reading, anyway :)

Attachments

• ???.png
    ???.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your code and for your interest in using Scilab to solve this problem. After reviewing your code and the given problem, I have a few suggestions that may help you achieve the desired result.

First, it is important to note that the given problem is asking for the magnetic field (B) as a function of the distance along the axis (Z). Therefore, your code should include a loop to calculate B for each value of Z in the given array. This can be done using a for loop or a while loop.

Next, I noticed that your equation for B is missing a few terms. The correct equation is:

B = (u*N*I*R^2)/(2*(Z^2+R^2)^(3/2)) + (u*N*I*R^2)/(2*((2*a-Z)^2+R^2)^(3/2))

Also, the given problem states that a = 2*R, so you do not need to define a separately.

Finally, to plot the desired function (B vs. Z), you can use the plot command in Scilab. Here is an example of how your code could look:

u = 1.256637061*10^-6;
N = 320;
R = 0.136/2;
a = 2*R;
Z = [-0.17 -0.15 -0.13 -0.11 -0.09 -0.07 -0.05 -0.03 -0.01 0 0.01 0.03 0.05 0.07 0.09];
I = 1;

// calculate B for each value of Z
for i=1:length(Z)
B(i) = (u*N*I*R^2)/(2*(Z(i)^2+R^2)^(3/2)) + (u*N*I*R^2)/(2*((2*a-Z(i))^2+R^2)^(3/2));
end

// plot B vs. Z
plot(Z, B, "b");

// add labels and title
xlabel("Distance along axis (Z)");
ylabel("Magnetic Field (B)");
title("Magnetic Field vs. Distance along axis");

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your project!

1. What is Scilab?

Scilab is a scientific computing software that allows users to perform mathematical and statistical calculations, create 2D and 3D plots, and develop and run simulation models.

2. How do I write Scilab codes for a lab report for Helmholtz?

To write Scilab codes for a lab report for Helmholtz, you can follow these steps:1. Identify the specific goals and objectives of your lab report.2. Familiarize yourself with the Scilab software and its functions.3. Plan and organize the structure of your codes based on your objectives.4. Write the codes using appropriate syntax and functions.5. Test and debug your codes to ensure they are running correctly.6. Document your codes and results for inclusion in your lab report.

3. What are the benefits of using Scilab for a lab report for Helmholtz?

There are several benefits of using Scilab for a lab report for Helmholtz, including:1. Efficient and accurate calculations and simulations.2. Ability to create customized plots and graphs.3. Availability of a wide range of mathematical and statistical functions.4. User-friendly interface for writing and running codes.5. Open-source and free software, making it accessible to all users.

4. Can I use Scilab for any type of Helmholtz experiment?

Yes, Scilab can be used for a variety of Helmholtz experiments, including experiments involving sound, electricity, and magnetism. As long as the experiment involves mathematical calculations and simulations, Scilab can be a useful tool for data analysis and visualization.

5. Are there any resources available to help me learn Scilab for my lab report for Helmholtz?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you learn Scilab, including:1. Online tutorials and guides.2. Official Scilab documentation and user forums.3. Video tutorials and webinars.4. Textbooks and other educational materials.5. Collaborating with other Scilab users and seeking help from experienced users.