Is my scissor lift's hydraulic system in need of a major service?

In summary, your scissor lift may need a service, and you should have it serviced by a qualified service person.
Emmet12
Hello! I have a scissor lift which was http://www.pentalift.com/lift-tables/scissor-lifts&multi-stage.php in 2002. It's been working perfectly until last week. Last week when I tried to lift it with 3 people on it, it didn't go up entirely. We used to lift up to 6 people on it, but now it's not lifting more than 2 people. I think it may require a major service, but I am trying to diagnose the issue myself. I am not very experienced with hydraulics, but would like to find out more about it. Where should I start looking? Does the DIY check up require something that only experts can deal with? If then will skip it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm taking a guess here: If your oil reservoir is topped off, its possible there might be a leak in the seal of the piston, in which case, you might need to replace the faulty cylinder.

Emmet12 said:
Hello! I have a scissor lift which was http://www.pentalift.com/lift-tables/scissor-lifts&multi-stage.php in 2002. It's been working perfectly until last week. Last week when I tried to lift it with 3 people on it, it didn't go up entirely. We used to lift up to 6 people on it, but now it's not lifting more than 2 people. I think it may require a major service, but I am trying to diagnose the issue myself. I am not very experienced with hydraulics, but would like to find out more about it. Where should I start looking? Does the DIY check up require something that only experts can deal with? If then will skip it.
You should have it serviced by a qualified service person. What is the service plan published by the Manufacturer? This involves life safety, so it's not something you should be trying to do on your own based on advice off the Internet. Thread is closed.

1. What are scissor lift hydraulics?

Scissor lift hydraulics are a type of hydraulic system that use fluid pressure to lift or lower a platform on a scissor lift. The system consists of a hydraulic pump, cylinders, and valves that work together to control the movement of the platform.

2. How do scissor lift hydraulics work?

Scissor lift hydraulics work by using fluid pressure to move the platform up and down. The hydraulic pump creates pressure by forcing fluid into the cylinders, which then extend and lift the platform. To lower the platform, the hydraulic valves release the pressure and allow the fluid to flow back into the pump.

3. What are the advantages of using scissor lift hydraulics?

One of the main advantages of scissor lift hydraulics is their ability to lift heavy loads with ease. They also provide a smooth and controlled lifting motion, making them ideal for tasks that require precision. Additionally, they are compact and easy to maintain, making them a popular choice in many industries.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using scissor lift hydraulics?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when using scissor lift hydraulics. It is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and never exceed the weight limit of the lift. Operators should also be trained in proper operation and safety procedures. Regular maintenance and inspections should also be conducted to ensure safe operation.

5. Can scissor lift hydraulics be used in outdoor environments?

Yes, scissor lift hydraulics can be used in outdoor environments. However, it is important to consider the weather and terrain conditions before operating the lift. High winds, rain, or uneven surfaces can affect the stability and safety of the lift. It is important to follow all safety precautions and use caution when operating a scissor lift in outdoor environments.