Scooters Part II: Affordable Alternatives

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
In summary: But a scrambler would be a lot more expensiveA scrambler would be more expensive, but it's worth the extra cost for the added safety and performance capabilities. It's important to consider all factors when choosing a vehicle.
Cyrus
Ok Jason, since we all busted your chops so bad in your first thread, I will make a real thread for you about scooters. :tongue:

http://www.tomclucas.com/images/scooter.jpg [Broken]

That's ok, but it looks expensive.

http://www.technoscoots.com/scooter-perso-tuning/scooter-yamaha-aerox-maxbiaggi.jpg

That's o.k. but again, it looks expensive.

http://www.partsmag.com/news_items/2004-February-Week2/2-11/Auction-Gallery/images/M-G-scooter.jpg [Broken]
This one is for wolram.

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/f2cb1f3d0d.jpg [Broken]
This one is o.k.

http://shiftingpixel.com/additional_images/red_scooter_color.jpg [Broken]
Ok, this is nice and all, but it is a NERD machine BACK AWAY FROM IT SLOWLY!

http://perso.wanadoo.es/alvarobernal/Scooter%20001.jpg [Broken]
Looks pricey.

http://www.bikerevs.co.uk/images/scooter.jpg [Broken]

1126425472.jpg

I'll dig up more later, but these all look too expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cyrusabdollahi said:
Ok, this is nice and all, but it is a NERD machine BACK AWAY FROM IT SLOWLY!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cyrusabdollahi said:
This one is for wolram.

That's nice as far as scooters go. I don't want to hijack this thread but I have to say this. My dream car, get one of these Jason;

~H

Attachments

• mkII_2_full.jpg
    mkII_2_full.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
That car is for old fat men smoking cigars, why would you want that?

#
Cyrus the jag (is) a classic now behave, i can only give you so many points.

Come on, if your going to talk Jag, talk old XKE :rolleyes:

I stand by what I said.

Last edited:
I'm looking into the Yamaha BW (Zuma) right now and it looks very similar to all the ones you pointed out.

I like it because it has good handling as reviews have said compared to Honda's, and it has front hydraulic disc brakes.

Yeah, 70% of your stopping power comes from the front brakes, they are VERY important.

Get a scooter that is fast, if you get into a bad situation, you are going to need that power to get away from a car that is about to run you over.

Groan, resize that pic Hoot.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Groan, resize that pic Hoot.

How do you do that? :blushing:

cyrusabdollahi said:
That car is for old fat men smoking cigars, why would you want that?

Wolfram is right, the MkII is a classic! Its not all about speed / performance, its about class, style and looks. And anyway it would still outperform any scooter :rofl: The MkII does look better with the black vinyl roof though (but I couldn't find a picture).

~H

cyrusabdollahi said:
Common, if your going to talk Jag, talk old XKE :rolleyes:

I stand by what I said.

Ok, you (seem) to have a grasp on classics so i will give you the benifit of the doubt :smile:

Scooters? LOL, what are you, 14?Btw, I've nothing against scooters :)

Toxic bug, all snide remarks should go into the first scooter thread, lol. Please delete that post and put it in the proper thread. :rofl:

ToxicBug said:
Scooters? LOL, what are you, 14?

Btw, I've nothing against scooters :)

Actually I'm 4... 2 + 2 = 4.

Note: I'm 22.

JasonRox said:

JasonRox, I love bikes and have been riding many thousands of miles a year for over 35 years (nothing but Harleys for over 20 years, although I had a lot of sport bikes earlier). In your climate, 2 wheels is fine for summer (and a more extended season if you're tough and will ride in all weather), but you should not make this your prime mode of transportation. If you want to use a 2-wheeler throughout warm months, please consider getting a scrambler or something bigger. Scramblers are nimble street bikes with some features of dirt bikes, and they have the acceleration and handling features that can help get you out of trouble. If some cager forces you into a curb on a scooter, you're lunch. If that happens on a scrambler, you've got a long-travel suspension and large-diameter wheels that might let you negotiate the curb and recover with little more than wheel and/or tire damage and some soiled pants. I had a Honda CL 450 back in the mid-70s that when tuned properly would take the 650 Triumphs by surprise off a stop-light. There are some small-displacement scramblers that are very quick (don't discount the 150cc and 175cc models) and you will be a lot safer than you would on a scooter. One good pothole on a scooter, and you will be road-rash from head to toe.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
JasonRox, I love bikes and have been riding many thousands of miles a year for over 35 years (nothing but Harleys for over 20 years, although I had a lot of sport bikes earlier). In your climate, 2 wheels is fine for summer (and a more extended season if you're tough and will ride in all weather), but you should not make this your prime mode of transportation. If you want to use a 2-wheeler throughout warm months, please consider getting a scrambler or something bigger. Scramblers are nimble street bikes with some features of dirt bikes, and they have the acceleration and handling features that can help get you out of trouble. If some cager forces you into a curb on a scooter, you're lunch. If that happens on a scrambler, you've got a long-travel suspension and large-diameter wheels that might let you negotiate the curb and recover with little more than wheel and/or tire damage and some soiled pants. I had a Honda CL 450 back in the mid-70s that when tuned properly would take the 650 Triumphs by surprise off a stop-light. There are some small-displacement scramblers that are very quick (don't discount the 150cc and 175cc models) and you will be a lot safer than you would on a scooter. One good pothole on a scooter, and you will be road-rash from head to toe.

I took all this into account of course.

We don't have many potholes here in Ontario from what I've seen so far. I'll always be on the lookout though.

JasonRox said:

OMFG. That is definitely, the lamest joke I've ever heard.

Mk said:
OMFG. That is definitely, the lamest joke I've ever heard.

It's PF. What do you expect? :tongue2:

How far do you plan to travel with the scooter? Will this be a daily driver during the summer? Is the purpose to save money?

That top one kinda looks like an alien.

Smurf! I haven't seen you around lately.

Are you still planning to come down this way; or did you already?

Oh right, that. I decided to work this summer instead. I seem to have run out of money last semester. It's on my list of things to do though.

1. What are some affordable alternatives to traditional scooters?

Some affordable alternatives to traditional scooters include electric bikes, kick scooters, and hoverboards.

2. Are these alternative scooters as efficient as traditional scooters?

It depends on the specific model and brand. Some alternative scooters may have similar efficiency to traditional scooters, while others may have lower efficiency due to differences in motor power or battery life.

3. Are there any safety concerns with using alternative scooters?

As with any type of personal transportation, there are potential safety concerns with using alternative scooters. It is important to wear protective gear and follow traffic laws while riding.

4. Can alternative scooters be used for long distance travel?

Again, this depends on the specific model and brand. Some alternative scooters may have a longer range and be suitable for longer distance travel, while others may have a shorter range and be better for shorter trips.

5. How do the prices of alternative scooters compare to traditional scooters?

Generally, alternative scooters are more affordable than traditional scooters. However, the price can vary depending on the brand, features, and quality of the scooter.

Back